New Study Reveals: Plateaus are NOT real...

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

And the reason that the OP got blasted is because he made a definitive, sensationalistic claim in his thread title to get attention, then attempted to use his own experience to support it. Therefore, he was giving his method credence above all others.

Perhaps you need to relax a bit. I didn't read the entire thread, but what I did read, I did not find to be rude in the least. Giving the nature of the internet, you would think people would be a little more careful about the words that they choose. And when they choose their words poorly, be a little less surprised when people react to it.

True. I think people missed where OP admitted that the title was a sensational lie to get people to read the thread. (kinda like when people put "penis" or "boobs" in a title to get people to read it)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    There are always exceptions to the rule as I have written. Can't please all the people all the time. I think what I propose would work for 95% of people and would be more valuable than a lot of the misinformation on this site.

Sorry that "one person" had such crappy results. I'm sure something was going on with their body. Something has to be going on. If you are taking in a lot less calories than you are burning but not losing weight over a long period of time something abnormal is going on. For my purposes though and for what I shared I don't care about abnormal. I care about the 99% that could benefit and don't have the very strange record that you mention.
    I have a one person 60 month record of data that would obliterate alot of what you said. and Im also a bit insulted. Actually a lot insulted.

Good thing this isnt science.

Un-insulted.

Is it 95 or 99? Either way you've become that person.... the person that joyously figures out their own body, climbs on a freaking soap box and tells everyone else they are doing it wrong and should be following what works for your body and anyone on the outside is abnormal.

Accept the fact that you are awesome because you understand your body, but don't tell someone who's lost a hundred pounds, run 15 half marathons and can deadlift her own body weight that she is having crappy results for not doing it the right way.

There are several kinds of plateaus and you're talking about ONE brought on by laziness and lack of will. That's not the one everyone (or 50%) of people deal with.

Have compassion not hubris.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

And the reason that the OP got blasted is because he made a definitive, sensationalistic claim in his thread title to get attention, then attempted to use his own experience to support it. Therefore, he was giving his method credence above all others.

Perhaps you need to relax a bit. I didn't read the entire thread, but what I did read, I did not find to be rude in the least. Giving the nature of the internet, you would think people would be a little more careful about the words that they choose. And when they choose their words poorly, be a little less surprised when people react to it.

True. I think people missed where OP admitted that the title was a sensational lie to get people to read the thread. (kinda like when people put "penis" or "boobs" in a title to get people to read it)
    This is the first sentence from the post, not the title:
    Sorry for the deception. Yes, plateaus are real in the short run (weeks or weeks). BUT plateaus are NOT real in the long run like a month or more period of time.

It is untrue.
  • yoovie
    Options

This is the first sentence from the post, not the title:
    Sorry for the deception. Yes, plateaus are real in the short run (weeks or weeks). BUT plateaus are NOT real in the long run like a month or more period of time.

It is untrue.

Thank you. I sincerely believe that long term plateaus are the ONLY ones that are real struggles. The ones that people come on here and bark about less than 6 months into a new lifestyle are simply roadsigns that they need to amp it up or revisit their diet strategy.

But those who hit plateaus because their body has become too efficient at long term cardio, or because their lean mass and body fat% are changing weekly and the scale doesnt move anymore - these have nothing to freaking do with with not being motivated, refusing to change your diet or not bumping up your activity.

Your body isnt a math problem with a clear and defined answer.

Its a science experiment with no exact precedent, 12,000,000 variables and not one proper measuring apparatus - you just have to try different things and different amounts til it works.

Stop gloating from your lab space and realize that the reason SOME of us are upset is because you are using absolutes and calling those who do actually hit real legitimate plateaus... Abnormal.

Well you know what, you arent interested in any of the people that dont live in your exact body - well we dont really care about your body either.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the post OP, I started a spreadsheet last month with all my data from July and have kept it updated ever since. It helped me figure out my TDEE is higher than MFP calculated (and several other websites) which helped me a lot to make sure I eat enough. Trying to eat at lower levels for quicker weightloss was making me weak and tired and crunching the numbers made it all make sense. I think it's a great idea for anyone to try, especially if they are running into problems.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

This. If what he's doing works for him and may help others, I'm all for it. But to make the blanket statement that a "study reveals" that plateaus aren't real is ridiculous and insulting.

Then people are way too easily insulted. As if the idea of a plateau was invented by them personally, and someone rejecting it terminally offends them.
  • rml_16
    Options

This. If what he's doing works for him and may help others, I'm all for it. But to make the blanket statement that a "study reveals" that plateaus aren't real is ridiculous and insulting.

Then people are way too easily insulted. As if the idea of a plateau was invented by them personally, and someone rejecting it terminally offends them.
    No. The problem is that SOMETIMES when a person isn't losing weight it has nothing to do with that person not trying his or her hardest to do so. So when someone comes along and says, "You just suck," (which is what this post essentially is saying), it's insulting.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

If you have been on a plateau, I would think you are more likely to take offense. Those on a true plateau bust their a$$es, log their food religiously, and weigh and measure everything. Can you imagine putting in all that effort and NOT seeing the scale move? The OP hasn't even been at this long enough to experience a plateau, but the way he is going about this... it is definitely coming. But what do we know. We have only been working this program for years.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    h-iB-1RnKEW5Q-72IDZ0xw2.jpg
    22872058_2818_thumb.jpg

^^^DUDE even a pu$$y can do a simple body weight pull up and he does it manly over hand style and not underhand and this is an internet opinion and fact because I have picture proof.. :laugh:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQH2Blz-eB0me94Na8B4D9oS4uD-a8D9ATDZh3-U54u6stMGKK

if you'll closely, you'll notice i'm wearing a weight belt, and that in between my legs, is a 45 lbs plate.

pull_ups.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Then people are way too easily insulted.

Yes, I agree. I have personally offended more people than I can count by simply stating my opinion. :ohwell:

:smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

No. The problem is that SOMETIMES when a person isn't losing weight it has nothing to do with that person not trying his or her hardest to do so. So when someone comes along and says, "You just suck," (which is what this post essentially is saying), it's insulting.

I didn't get that at all from this post. I took from it, "hey here's a way to do long-term tracking to help you see your progress in a way that MFP doesn't show you."

I'm reasonably sure that the OP was not trying to insult anyone but to rather to share a strategy that works.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on whether plateaus are a real phenomenon (though I do think most "plateaus" are caused by one's failure to follow one's plan), I do agree with you on one thing:

spreadsheets are key.

For more than a year I logged my weekly losses on a spreadsheet. When I had weeks where I didn't lose, I'd go look at my average and see that I was right on track. My monthly averages almost always lined up perfectly to my calculated deficit. I'd go 2 weeks with nothing then - bam - 4 pounds gone.

"If I stuck to my plan the weight loss plan results would show up sooner or later."

I can't agree more. I lost 2 pounds a week on average as long as I wanted to. It wasn't until I was 10-20 pounds from goal that I purposely slowed things down. I never had a plateau.

It's easy to get frustrated if you're only looking at what you lose this week. When you average out your losses over a month or more, it's really enlightening.

What layout did you use for your spreadsheet? I tried to make one and it got really messy really quickly (me and Excell aren't friends) so any tips you have would be appreciated!

Mine was pretty basic.

Column 1: Numbered the weeks.
    Column 2: Date - seven days, then a space
    Column 3: Cals Eaten
    Column 4: Cals burned through exercise
    Column 5: Net cals consumed
    Column 6: Loss recorded that day
    Column 7: Average weekly net cals
    Column 8: Weekly loss total

Once you enter the first two weeks of dates in Column 2, you can program excel to add the rest (google for how to add more dates automatically, I don't recall the formula). There is also a way to automatically calculate the net calories, but I never figured that out so I just calculated and entered them manually.

I'm happy to share my chart via google docs if anyone wants it; send me a message with your gmail address and I'll give you the url.

After 6-7 months I realized that net calories were fairly irrelevant; by that point, I had shifted to a TDEE approach to calorie-setting anyway, so I stopped tracking net calories/cals consumed and only tracked weight loss each day and week.

I do not record weight gains. If I'm in a deficit, I know I am not adding new body fat and any gains are water-related, and therefore unimportant to log.

The spreadsheet was so helpful as I was losing. For example, if I look at 2011 - I started June 16. I lost 63 pounds between that date and November 30 (I did not chart out December for some reason I can't recall). That averages to an incredible 2.63 pounds per week. Yet there are many weeks where I only lost .5 pounds - I could have been frustrated and upset and given up. But then I would look back and realize that those "stalls" are always followed by "whooshes" in my case, and I'd be patient and stick to my plan. It ALWAYS evened out.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I didn't get that at all from this post. I took from it, "hey here's a way to do long-term tracking to help you see your progress in a way that MFP doesn't show you."

I'm reasonably sure that the OP was not trying to insult anyone but to rather to share a strategy that works.

Again... when people don't choose their words more carefully, they should not be surprised when people react to it.

He started a thread with a sensationalistic title and claimed that his own experience supports the statement. Maybe the intention was well-meaning, but the execution was sloppy. He really shouldn't be surprised that he ended up striking a nerve for some people.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And, again, the first sentence of the OP:

For someone who was at a plateau/gain for MORE THAN A YEAR despite doing everything possible to lose, this is an insult. And it is not true.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Long term weight / fat loss plateaus clearly exist - it's called maintenance.

A plateau in terms of dieting is not simply about the scale - it is also about no movement in body measurements or visual markers at the same time. If your scale is not moving but there are clear signs of improvement in body composition then obviously that is not a plateau.

What does not exist in my opinion is a plateau that cannot be explained one way or another (usually by under reporting of calorie intake or over estimating calorie burn.)

Good article here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217761--unexplainable-fat-loss-plateaus-explained-tom-ve
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Should provide some encouragement and take the focus off day to day losses and start thinking more long term
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My One persons study. It is not scientific... but I think is insightful. By not scientific I mean 100's of people would need to do something similar to what I have done and then see what the results are. So, my results are extremely subjective. Honestly, its just a provocative blog headline to get some attention.
    What study are you referring to?

So based on results of what worked for you, you conclude that no one can possibly experience a plateau that lasts longer than a couple weeks?

OK then ...

not saying that at all. it's not my experience but I guess can surely happen. sounds like the case for you.

please take the time to do some sort of analysis, like a spreadsheet. if you have not it might reveal something.

good luck with that. plateaus suck.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on whether plateaus are a real phenomenon (though I do think most "plateaus" are caused by one's failure to follow one's plan), I do agree with you on one thing:

spreadsheets are key.

For more than a year I logged my weekly losses on a spreadsheet. When I had weeks where I didn't lose, I'd go look at my average and see that I was right on track. My monthly averages almost always lined up perfectly to my calculated deficit. I'd go 2 weeks with nothing then - bam - 4 pounds gone.

"If I stuck to my plan the weight loss plan results would show up sooner or later."

I can't agree more. I lost 2 pounds a week on average as long as I wanted to. It wasn't until I was 10-20 pounds from goal that I purposely slowed things down. I never had a plateau.

It's easy to get frustrated if you're only looking at what you lose this week. When you average out your losses over a month or more, it's really enlightening.

What layout did you use for your spreadsheet? I tried to make one and it got really messy really quickly (me and Excell aren't friends) so any tips you have would be appreciated!

Here's the spreadsheet. Very basic, but hopefully will serve the purpose of entering data to see where you are at.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiJHvhndZJWWdHdUa0RQby1BcldsU0g4WncwWmNtVnc#gid=0
    please contact me should you have any problems with it.

To calculate BMR go here:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html
    NOTE: I motified my number down from 2964 to 2500. I suspect you will need to do something similar to get the numbers to match up, and hopefully allow you to do some realistic goal setting over the long term.
  • yoovie
    Options
    My One persons study. It is not scientific... but I think is insightful. By not scientific I mean 100's of people would need to do something similar to what I have done and then see what the results are. So, my results are extremely subjective. Honestly, its just a provocative blog headline to get some attention.
    What study are you referring to?

So based on results of what worked for you, you conclude that no one can possibly experience a plateau that lasts longer than a couple weeks?

OK then ...

not saying that at all. it's not my experience but I guess can surely happen. sounds like the case for you.

please take the time to do some sort of analysis, like a spreadsheet. if you have not it might reveal something.

good luck with that. plateaus suck.

back tracking like a BAW5
  • rml_16
    Options
    Long term weight / fat loss plateaus clearly exist - it's called maintenance.

A plateau in terms of dieting is not simply about the scale - it is also about no movement in body measurements or visual markers at the same time. If your scale is not moving but there are clear signs of improvement in body composition then obviously that is not a plateau.

What does not exist in my opinion is a plateau that cannot be explained one way or another (usually by under reporting of calorie intake or over estimating calorie burn.)

Good article here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217761--unexplainable-fat-loss-plateaus-explained-tom-ve

Mine was due to the BC I was on. But since that's hormone-related, I believe there are probably plenty of people who have the issue without being on BC, just messed up hormones. It isn't always about diet and exercise.