What are grandmas called in your family?

Options

Replies

• LandonRand
    Options
    Like others, just Grandma
  • Cathy1Shields
    Cathy1Shields Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My little granddaughter started calling me BUH BUH at 1 years old! It makes my heart melt to hear her calling me "Bubbie" now. It is Hebrew for grandma!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is called nana. Great grandmother was called mammy. Great grand father was Bop Bop
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    my oldest daughter is the first grandchild on her fathers side of the family, when she tried to say Grandma it came out Gammers and it stuck ... she is now Gammers to all her grandkids :)
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My stepmom tried nan??? Unfortunately my Kids kept calling her Dan:laugh: Now we just call her grandma-it was less confusing. Also had a little boy I nannied for tell his teacher he didn't have a grandma. The went by nicknames that I don't remember:indifferent: Also heard a story of a grandparent making her grandchildren call her Delilah:smile:
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Maternal grandmother: Nani.
    Paternal Grandmother: Aji.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I was kid we called both of my grandmas "Grandma." I know, not exciting. We would tag on their name if we were talking about them so our parents knew which grandma we were talking about. Now, that I have a couple of kids we just call my husbands parents Grandma and Grandpa. My parents go by grammy and pappy as per their request. If they didn't request it they would probably just get called grandma and Grandpa too. On of my grandmas has also started calling herself Gigi instead of great grandma around our kids.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I guess my family is the only onebthat uses "granny"?
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    MawMaw. and my son calls his dads mom Nana
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My nephew calls his great grandma "meemaw" and grandma "tea mamaw" (because she gives him sweet tea.)

Some cousins also use opa and oma for grandma and grandpa. We just used grandma/grandpa.
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Ah Mah for granny ^.^
  • sudiah
    Options
    My husband's family (my step-grandkids) call both of us Papuk - they use the same word for both Grandfather and Grandmother - the language is Sasak from the island of Lombok in Indonesia.
  • djdaddyesq
    Options
    One of my grandmas is called Grandma. The other we call Achoo.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My mom's mom is called grandma. My dad's mom is called Mimi. She's french-canadian, so the proper name for grandma is memere(sp?). However, my siblings, cousins and I had trouble saying that and instead called her Mimi and the name stuck.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Grandmother's were called Nanna and Grandfather was called Grumpy
  • OhLibra
    OhLibra Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Mamaw.
  • Rannybanani
    Rannybanani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm Ranny and the other grandma is called Nimmie.

The first grandchild born on boths sides gave us these names, it's what they were able to say and they stuck.
    Now we can't even imagine being anything else.

We both have 5 grandkids to date.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Nan or Nanny. I had Nanny Granddad (who lived with her husband) and Nanny George (who lived with my uncle George).
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My family is hungarian so we call grandma "mama" and great grandma is "dedi mama". On my husbands side the kids call grandma "nana"
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Grandma Bernadette, Nana Mary and Granny Ella