What are grandmas called in your family?

Options

Replies

• LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My grandmother and grandfather on my mom's side were "Oma" and "Opa" (Dutch words for grandma/grandpa; they came to Canada from the Netherlands, post-WWII), and my dad's parents were "Grandma" and "Grandpa". My Grandpa was full-blooded Dane, but born in North America, and my dad's family has almost zero connection to their heritage. Grandma was adopted.

No grandkids for my parents yet, but when I have kids, my mom will be an "Oma", too. When I eventually have grandkids of my own, way, way down the line, I will also be an "Oma".
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    In my family, it's Mema and in my husband's, it's Mimi
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    We were boring growing up and just called our Grandma "Grandma". My daughter calls my mom, Nanny and she calls my mother in law, Mimi. And she calls her only living great grandmother, Mamaw. When my Grandma was alive she called her Memaw.
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Mommom!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think the only one I'm allowed to say on MFP is "the old bag" (and that's only when we're being nice)--It's not so much that I'm disrespectful, as the woman is horrible. My other grandmother is long dead, she was just "grandma."
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My grandmas were both called just that...my kids call my mom Nana....my grandmas to my kids were GG (great grandma) and Mimi. I know someone who goes by Monet by her grandkids (I think this is French).
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My grandmother and grandfather on my mom's side were "Oma" and "Opa" (Dutch words for grandma/grandpa; they came to Canada from the Netherlands, post-WWII), and my dad's parents were "Grandma" and "Grandpa". My Grandpa was full-blooded Dane, but born in North America, and my dad's family has almost zero connection to their heritage. Grandma was adopted.

No grandkids for my parents yet, but when I have kids, my mom will be an "Oma", too. When I eventually have grandkids of my own, way, way down the line, I will also be an "Oma".

I like how you assume that the children you don't even have yet will have children of their own. Nothing like assuming things about people who don't even exist yet (and may never).
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nan or nanny :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    both of mine were just grandma..to my kids, my mom is grandma janet, and husbands mom is granny..when my time comes, i want to be called graMMy
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    all my nieces and nephs call me KK, but i didn't want my grandchildren to call me that. one niece called me Kakes, so we decided on GranKakes. the baby is only 9 months old right now, so we'll see what he converts it to when he starts talking! and his cousin (#2 grandbaby) is on the way!!!
  • Khole02
    Options
    Memer (French) and Lola(Filipino)
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My daughter calls my mom and dad, Nana and Pap-Pap
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My dad is Bop (it started as grandpa, my oldest somehow interpreted that as boompa and it stuck until my youngest shortened it to Bop) and my mom is mimi.

My grandparents were pop and granny.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    grandma/grandmom

nanny
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We are a multi-cultural family.

My Dad's Mother/Father is called "Grandmother/Poppy" (American)

My Mom's Mother/Father are called "Abuelita/Abuelo" (My grandparents are from Mexico/Spain)

When I have kids with my spouse, we have already been told my parents want to go by"Mamaw and Papaw" (I am from Texas).

My husband's parents want to go by " Gichan/Bahchan" (My husband is 1st generation American. His mother is from Japan and father is from Burma. They requested to go by the Japanese words for Grandma/Grandpa")
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Dad's side we called her Who-Who (story behind that one)

Mom's side we called her Mor-Mor. Which is Swedish for maternal grandmother "the mother of one's mother". She was Swedish.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Grandma...
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Grandmommy.
  • Sardine239
    Sardine239 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "Grandma" followed by their last name. May sound formal, but we only use it to distinguish which one we're talking about. In person, we just address them as "grandma".
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    We call my grandmother Baba.