What are grandmas called in your family?

Options

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Grandma and Grumpy Grandpa, Circle head Grandma and Grandpa. Those are my four year old's names for my parents and in-laws. Circle head Grandma has a shorter haircut, this was his interpretation of her hair.

Great grand parents are both Nana and Papa.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    well my moms mom is gramma, my dads mom was baba... my Mom is a mama, to my niece my gramma (her great gramma) is an abba (its a long story) my cousins kids call her mom nana
  • BellaLunaFleur
    BellaLunaFleur Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My Grandmothers were Grandma and Mema. My nephew calls his grandmothers Nana and Nonny.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Mine call me Grammy! Before my daughter had her first, she asked me what I wanted to be called....4 precious grandkids later....I am Grammy!
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    For my family we call them Weto and Weta. Because when we were little me, my brother, and sister couldn't pronounce Abuelito and Abuelita and that is what came out. So ever since then my grandparents are known as Weto and Weta.
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I called my grandmothers by their first name, but the paternal one was preceeded with "Grandma". My mother is referred to as Grandma and Nanny and kid's paternal is Granny. One sister is a Nana another is Nonni.

I think you should choose the name you want to go by and just refer to yourself in the 3rd person that way until it catches on :)
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My nephew calls my mom Moma. He can say grandma, and will when I give him the stink eye, but most of the time its Moma. (mow-ma)

He used to call me GiGi but its turned into MiMi and had stuck.. I hate it because I feel like thats a grandma name, not an aunts name.. He used to say aunt mimi.. now its just mimi.. :/
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Dead
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My grandsons call me Nana. My Mom's grands call her Grandma or Nanny. My sister's granddaughters call her Nonni.

Whatever they choose to call you you'll love to hear it. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • cabblett
    cabblett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nana, Nanny, Babulya Mila, Mamaw, & Memaw. Lots of grandmothers around here.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Memaw or Mamaw....they're gone though. :( My kids just go with Nana or Gramma.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have a Nana and a Grandma. But my sister's children have a Granny and Nanny where the generations have changed it up slightly.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Nana
    Nannie
    Gramma
    Grammy

I've also heard things like Grammy Mary, etc. And a friend goes by GiGi.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oma and Opa... German
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nana
    Granny
    Grandmere
    Grandma

My oldest sister refuses to be a grandmother and insists her grandchildren call her by her first name.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Abuelita.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I called my grandma =grandma .. my great-grandma = big maw maw
    my niece says "maw- maw and big maw maw
    but my great niece calls my mom (her great-grandma) "gammy" (she is 2 btw)
    and her grandma (my sister) will be called granny

so in short the names i know are
    grandma
    maw-maw
    granny
    gammy
    grammy
    nana
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Nanny on my dad's side, and Oma on my mom's side (German). My great-grandparents died before I was born, so don't have a name for them. My niece/nephew call their grandparents Oma (my mom) and Nana (sil's mom)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Oma for my german grandmother and Gigi for my husbands grand mother who is our kids great grandmother. Grandmom for the grandmothers on my husbands side.
  • Pepper_Pea
    Options
    In our family they are called a "Kui" or a "Kuia" which is Maori for Grandmother. :D