why do guys wear those workout gloves?

Options

Replies

• ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves, not the ****ty "fashionable" ones, but top of the line heavy duty lifting gloves. They help with sweat, prevent calluses/blisters, and I can get a better grip therefor lift heavier.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    LOL.
    1. never said i adored calluses, never said i dont care about my hands.
    2. I think at least one other poster acknowledged that gloves do not prevent calluses.
    3. never had a problem with grip, as i use chalk.
    4. honestly, i have never seen anyone in my gym, or a couple of others I frequent while traveling, wearing gloves. I was out of town visiting an "anytime fitness" and saw guys with gloves on. thought i would ask what the perceived benefit was.

Oh. and it is special living in my world. lol

For gloves, they can help prevent calluses depending on the style of the bar and specifically what lift is being done. It is not a universal thing.

Special worlds are nice, but again, do not generalize everyone on the entire planet. You'll have people like me that'll bark at you.
  • Josh_H
    Josh_H Posts: 1,151
    Options
    When I lift I wear gloves, 2 reasons. no 1 protect my hands from blisters. no 2 better grip when dealing with heavier weights.
    I even use straps when deadlifting so I can hold the weight for a longer period of time.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Because you don't wash your hands after you piss.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'm a chick and I love my callouses. Gloves are for wimps!

or people starting out that dont have perfect grip yet :flowerforyou:
  • shadyj26
    shadyj26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Using gloves is no different thank using straps. If you hands are that strong and tuff don't use them. Must be using lite weights.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I get why people think that lifters are aholes.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1. Not everyone adores calluses. I find them absolutely repulsive personally.

Maybe that's because you've never done a hard days work . . .
  • beandawgy
    Options
    Better grip, no calluses.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Chalk makes me sneeze.

Also, I don't like blisters and callouses on my hands.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Using gloves is no different thank using straps. If you hands are that strong and tuff don't use them. Must be using lite weights.

Truth.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

or people starting out that dont have perfect grip yet :flowerforyou:

I can appreciate that :smile:
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't see the professionals wearing gloves doesn't mean anything. Oh wait... Maybe it does.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    27244579.jpg

annoying-gym-newbies-meme-generator-wears-gloves-squats-5c2b88.jpg
    nice lol
  • HondoAce
    Options
    Chalk not allowed or available everywhere. Gloves allow for grip too as well as compression support. Many joints and ligs & tends in a hand. Personally, I use neither gloves nor chalk and am not qualified for any fashion analysis. My only concerns are avoiding injuries which have sidelined me all too often in the past.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Then I'm a wimp. Oh well. :flowerforyou:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I wear them cause my palms get sweaty when Im nervous about picking up almost 200 pounds and the bar slips out of my grip. I can focus more on what my entire body is doing as a machine instead of oh no oh no oh no oh no gonna drop it gahhhhhhhhhhhhh crap im half on the floor again and I have a barbell bruise across the top of my right thigh. Lovely.

I damaged a nerve in my hand from doing just this, on a deadlift. It was fine after two weeks of rest, but I did not want to take two weeks of rest.

Plus the skin in my hands pinches up with no gloves.

I was using leather work gloves and that worked great, but they were a bit big.

Now I've got some little power pads instead of gloves because I only need them for deadlifts.

AND, if the callouses are snagging on your clothes and stuff, Aveeno lotion is the stuff.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Calluses can interfere with rubbing one out.
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    They match my purse

hehehehe:laugh:
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When you have a callous rip out, you'll get it. Imagine a coin sized hole, over a 1/4" deep in your hand... you'll have to leave the gym for a while. Gloves provide cushion, offer a decent grip, keep me from damaging my skin and my wife appreciates soft hands (which by itself, would be reason enough for me!!)