Eating enough...why is it so hard?!

Options

Replies

• somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Probably been ask but how did you get to a point where you felt you needed to lose weight but yet now can't eat enough? 600 spare calories sounds like three candy bars or 3/4 of a pint of ice cream to me. Just sayin'. :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    ^^

my thoughts exactly

i will truely never understand how people come to a site for weight loss and then claim they can't eat enough

i mean, every now and then i don't particularly want that second piece of chicken for dinner, but i could easily substitue a candy bar... and want another one lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Only true if your hunger cues are working. In many cases for those who need to lose weight, they are not. That's why the whole MFP calorie counting thing is so valuable/effective.

that might be true, but it would really only make sense if your cued to feel hungry when you really arent', which is apparently not the issue in this thread
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I added another meal to my day. Then divided my goal amongst those 6 times I eat during the day.

I'm aware that this sounds so simplistic and silly that it shouldn't even be mentioned - but it's been working well for me.

Here's why:

- I don't have to get all my fats and proteins in big chunks, so it's easier on my stomach.
    - Eating more often keeps me generally hungrier through the day because I don't get bloated from having 1 big meal
    - If i have 1 crappy meal full of bad descisions, I still have 5 more chances through the day to correct it and get back on track

Higher calorie stuff I've been adding as small meals:

Banana with peanut butter + honey
    Protein shake (made with milk)
    Jerky (very little fat so it's easy on the system)
  • nalm5150
    nalm5150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out many, many years ago(27). I eat whatever I want. Since I've been on a healthier but diverse diet on MFP(from October 2013), I still eat everything, but limit refined sugar, and trans fats, but have not eliminated anything. I eat lots of berries, nuts, and a moderate amount of good carbs. Good protein, like chicken, fish and very little red meat. My digestion is much more stable now. I did have tendency to IBS. Mine is a huge lifestyle change! I find its ok for me to have calories left over from my day, as long as I consume at least my allotted calories.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about the numbers, eat when you are hungry, dont starve yourself and stop when you are full. Your body has a built in satisfying gland that will tell you when you dont need more

And that "built in satisfying gland" has worked so well for so many on MFP, right?

(dammit...*sigh*...what I meant to say is:)

Great job with your success so far OP!! And great responses from everybody!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:

I got such a huge laugh out of this!!! Thanks a bunch!!!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    "built in satisfying gland"

I can't even.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I often had that problem when I was losing weight. The only meal I was hungry for was breakfast. ;-) Lunch is a *****! I hate sandwiches. I started buying frozen dinners at trader joes.

I starated to do ok at maintenance and then I developed silent reflux. I'm now on two medications and not allowed to eat all the stuff I like - nuts, fats, fried food, onions, tomatoes, tart fruits like citrus, strawberries, blueberries, peppermin (including tea), peanut butter, alcohol, caffeine carbonated drinks... So I'm having to think about what to buy and eat all over again.

Today I did pretty awful. I'm going to have some cheese and an apple to build some calories up.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My friends boyfriend has to watch the fat due to his gallbladder too. He eats a lot of chicken and fish and he bakes instead of fries a lot of foods. He eats a big salad with his meals and buy food based on fat percentages. I believe he also eat avocado.

Fresh fruits and vegetables
    Whole grains (whole-wheat bread, brown rice, oats, bran cereal)
    Lean meat, poultry, and fish
    Low-fat dairy products

Just eat more of this stuff. I eat 8-12oz of chicken at a clip. 2 eggs with 3 eggs whites scrambled with a ton of veggies and chicken or ground turkey. 0% greek yogurt with fruit and protein powder.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Surprised how so many 2 year old threads keep getting resurrected lately. The OP is long gone. Would have been nice to have seen that she figured out how to succeed in her goal, but perhaps she DID succeed in eating more, and that is why she is no longer actively posting. So great job on the advice to eat more calorie dense foods!:drinker:

And at least some people apparently know how to use the search feature.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Damn necro threads.

Some mods should spend some time cleaning these out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time getting in enough calories! It feels like all I'm doing is eating, and I am still under my net calories by 400 to 600. Does anyone have any suggestions on some foods that are calorie dense, but low in fat? (I've had my gallbladder removed and can not eat high fat foods without some serious pain) I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

If you are not hungry why would you eat? Seriously. That's how we got fat in the first place, eating when when we didn't need to eat.

Your body is the end game, not the calorie calculator the rules everyone makes up.

This. Do not eat if you aren't hungry. Period. There's no need, in my opinion.

clearly you have never bulked.

Apparently they don't sell ice cream and oreo's where the OP is from.

also- I really get annoyed when people say they cant' meet their calorie goals and they losing weight. I'm hungry all the time- Even when I don't want to eat when I'm bulking- I'm usually still hungry.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Twizzlers are fat free!

and praise the Lord for that!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i wouldn't say i get annoyed by it so much but it certainly perplexes me
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I only really REALLY get annoyed every so often- usually when I'm straight up Hangry- and I'll admit it.

I easily can eat 1200 between noon and 4 PM and be starving- so sometimes- it just infuriates me.

But- normally yes- more perplexing- I don't know how they manage it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I only really REALLY get annoyed every so often- usually when I'm straight up Hangry- and I'll admit it.

I easily can eat 1200 between noon and 4 PM and be starving- so sometimes- it just infuriates me.

This just shows how different people can be with their dietary needs. Some people can eat 5000 cals a day and still be hungry. Some people only eat 1200 a day and are fine with that. It is all relevant to the individual situation.

One thing I HAVE noticed over the past 2 yrs on here, is that the vast majority of people who post that they can't eat enough, end up quitting long before they lose any substantial weight. I am mainly talking about the ones that have 50+ lbs to lose, NOT the chronic undereaters that are going for the thigh gap. I am fairly sure that the former referenced posters either underestimate their calorie intake, overestimate their exercise output, and/or think they need more calories than they actually do. Or some combination of all three.

The majority of successful people seem to use some common sense to figure out their own needs and what works and doesn't work for them.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This has probably been asked, as I only read the OP...but if eating enough was a problem how did you end up with 80 pounds to lose?
  • JoRocka
    Options

This just shows how different people can be with their dietary needs. Some people can eat 5000 cals a day and still be hungry. Some people only eat 1200 a day and are fine with that. It is all relevant to the individual situation.

One thing I HAVE noticed over the past 2 yrs on here, is that the vast majority of people who post that they can't eat enough, end up quitting long before they lose any substantial weight. I am mainly talking about the ones that have 50+ lbs to lose, NOT the chronic undereaters that are going for the thigh gap. I am fairly sure that the former referenced posters either underestimate their calorie intake, overestimate their exercise output, and/or think they need more calories than they actually do. Or some combination of all three.

The majority of successful people seem to use some common sense to figure out their own needs and what works and doesn't work for them.

indeed. The common sense- but unfortunately common sense and a good understanding of what fuels your body well for different purposes seem to be why folks have a hard time. Although I don't think I've noticed a a strong trend line one way or the other- but I can tell you I fully concur with the "chronic over estimate burns and under estimates foods" trend line.

I'm definitely don't fall into either categories- I've never been obese- never had more than 10-15 pounds to lose and have been doing the whole bulk/cutting thing- I think I am just one of those people who am hungry all the time LOL.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

I'm definitely don't fall into either categories- I've never been obese- never had more than 10-15 pounds to lose and have been doing the whole bulk/cutting thing- I think I am just one of those people who am hungry all the time LOL.

One of the fortunate things about being on this site, is that it is sort of a social/nutrition experiment being played out every day.
    I pay close attention to trends of different people with different lifestyles, etc.

One thing I have noticed, is that people who seem to have a naturally higher metabolism, and can maintain their weight easily, are usually (not always) naturally more active overall, and seem to be hungry more often than the average obese sedentary person, who seem to eat according to their emotions more so than their hunger level.
    Not sure how to explain this trend, but it does seem to be prevalent. I can only assume that activity causes more hunger, and perhaps not having a lot of fat stores to draw energy from, creates a higher need for calories for those who are at a lower BF%.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

indeed. The common sense- but unfortunately common sense and a good understanding of what fuels your body well for different purposes seem to be why folks have a hard time. Although I don't think I've noticed a a strong trend line one way or the other- but I can tell you I fully concur with the "chronic over estimate burns and under estimates foods" trend line.

i would consider myself someone who is 'always hungry' or nearly always.

although i can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that even tho i basically always 'feel' hungry, my body does not really require more nutrients. in other words, i'll often 'feel' hungry even tho i'm really not... or perhaps i should say that i often think i feel hungry lol