is low fat dieting that good for you...

Options

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Dr. Atkins promotes his ketogenic diet as an all you can eat fat and protein but limit your carb deal. If you understand ketosis, your body uses the fat, which is caloricially much higher than carbs or proteins.

So i could eat 7000-8000 calories of fat and protein a day and not get fat.

I should test this theory.

If you abstain from eating any types of carbs for 3 or 4 days, you should, as long as you can fill your stomach.

Why? Why do you believe that this is true? Is it because you cannot maintain an energy surplus due to stomach limitations or is it because you believe that carbohydrate is required to gain fat? Or is it neither?

EDIT: You do realize that protein is insulinogenic and that fat itake supresses hormone sensitive lipase even when insulin is low, right?

Looking at your picture, it looks like you muscle build. I would then surmise that you follow a different ratio of fats to proteins to carbs. That's fine. Your diet won't follow mine and we can agree to disagree as my weight goals are different from yours.
  • taem
    Options
    So I can eat all THE STEAK and avocados I wan't until my stretchy pants don't even fit, and still lose weight? AWESOME!!

Please read all of the posts.
  • taem
    Options
    You stated
    We all must understand that after your body receives enough calories (this depends on various factors such as your metabolism for example) any excessive amounts of calories leads to being overweight, or weight gain. I am hinting at the law of thermodynamics.

I think we can all agree on this.

And then you go on to say
    Dr. Atkins promotes his ketogenic diet as an all you can eat fat and protein but limit your carb deal. If you understand ketosis, your body uses the fat, which is caloricially much higher than carbs or proteins.

If you abstain from eating any types of carbs for 3 or 4 days, you should, as long as you can fill your stomach and still eat no carbs or low carbs.

Does this not cause a slight discrepancy in your logic? How do these two coincide with each other?

Please look up ketosis and ask.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You stated
    We all must understand that after your body receives enough calories (this depends on various factors such as your metabolism for example) any excessive amounts of calories leads to being overweight, or weight gain. I am hinting at the law of thermodynamics.

If you abstain from eating any types of carbs for 3 or 4 days, you should, as long as you can fill your stomach and still eat no carbs or low carbs.

Does this not cause a slight discrepancy in your logic? How do these two coincide with each other?

I know what ketosis is, I ask you, as you have made these rather preposterous claims, to explain.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome.
  • taem
    Options
    Thank you, that's all I wanted to know.

I believe Atkins was wrong.

But that's the thing, for dieting, even the twinkies diet will help you to lose weight. If you want to gain muscle, that's a way different type of diet.

These types of diet bantering can be avoided if the OP mentions what his or her purpose is: lose weight, be a body builder.
  • taem
    Options
    You stated

I know what ketosis is, I ask you, as you have made these rather preposterous claims, to explain.

What is ketosis please.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

But that's the thing, for dieting, even the twinkies diet will help you to lose weight. If you want to gain muscle, that's a way different type of diet.

These types of diet bantering can be avoided if the OP mentions what his or her purpose is: lose weight, be a body builder.

You do not build muscle on a deficit and the main macro that people who want to maintain LBM or gain it while on a surplus are focused on is protein - so how does that fit into your equation?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You stated

What is ketosis please.

I thought you knew? Now how about you stop deflecting and answer the question
  • taem
    Options

You do not build muscle on a deficit and the main macro that people who want to maintain LBM or gain it while on a surplus are focused on is protein - so how does that fit into your equation?

Why don't you first explain to me your definition of ketosis. Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Why don't you first explain to me your definition of ketosis. Thanks.

Stop deflecting
  • taem
    Options
    You stated

What is ketosis please.

If you really want to discuss it, then you tell me your definition as I have explained it already.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Man... some people know how to suck all the fun out of eating. Fueling your body should never be this complicated...:noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You stated

What is ketosis please.

If you really want to discuss it, then you tell me your definition as I have explained it already.

That is not the way this works. You made a claim - it's up to you to support it. If you cannot, then your argument is invalid.

Until you can, I am done as this thread has been completely derailed by some rather delusional thinking.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    NO - my fat macro is between 35 & 40% - and I lost 120lbs........

My skin looks great, my hair and nails are great, and my cholesterol has not changed one little bit since I upped my fats....

The key is eating healthy fats - I avoid trans fats like the plague, avoid all margarine, canola ans sunflower oils....

What I do eat

Avocado oil
    Coconut oil
    Extra virgin olive oil
    BUTTER
    Salmon
    Avocado
    Nuts, and Nut butters
    Olives
    Coconut milk & Coconut cream

= Happy & Healthy girl!
  • taem
    Options
    Man... some people know how to suck all the fun out of eating. Fueling your body should never be this complicated...:noway:

Well she started cherry picking my posts.
  • taem
    Options
    You stated

What is ketosis please.

That is not the way this works. You made a claim - it's up to you to support it. If you cannot, then your argument is invalid.

Until you can, I am done as this thread has been completely derailed by some rather delusional thinking.

Stop cherry picking and read my posts. That means all of it. Thank you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You stated

What is ketosis please.

I read every single one. I am not sure how it got from low fat is the bee's knees to you can eat as much as you want as long as you are in ketosis, other than you not believing my macros and thinking that because I strength train I am somehow different and it makes a difference to low fat v moderate fat. It seemed that you could not understand that I can lose weight on over 1,800 calories and first it was my imaginary excessive exercise and then it was my strength training that was the culprit.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Actually that's entirely not true. When gaining mass, the priority is carbohydrates. Hell even in a cutting cycle, carbohydrates play a more vital role than protein. That is why they say carbs is muscle sparing.

Many consume higher protein amounts for being satiated and I personally believe that is over blown.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

If eating low fat causes the convoluted and circular thinking you display, bring on the fat!!