Are vegetables bad for you? Carb-wise?

Options
Most vegetables have a lot of carbs in them and was wondering if I should just stick to lean meats and red meats? I'm trying to follow a low-carb diet and seems I can't achieve that with vegetables.

i know some vegetables are low-carb, but most are mid to high carb.

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED YOUR GREENS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    //end thread
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    #1. Carbs are good for you
    #2. The nutrients in veg outweigh anything

****STAFF NOTE: Post has been edited due to violations of guideline #17****
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Lol, no!
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You NEED carbs for your body (and your brain) to function properly. Just make sure that they are clean healthy carbs! And veggies are definitely healthy carbs!
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For instance, lean beef or chicken breast, is healthier then a carb filled bowl of brocolli..carbs turn into glucose, I think weight-loss MIGHT be faster if we stuck with lean meats instead and the ocassional bacon.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    Those are good carbs my dear!
    Eat your veggies! The greener the better! The nutrients and low calories should outweight the carbs you are worried about.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    There are 154 calories and 30g carbs in a pound of broccoli.

That's nothing.

Eat your greens.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    eat dark leafy green veg to get most of your daily carb intake on a low carb way of eating. you should have no problem doing that.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm a new diabetic and I thought i'd try low carbs. Well tell you this thank goodness I had an appointment with my diabetic counselor because low carbs is the way I wanted to go. Well she explained to me low carbs are dangerous. Because your brain functions on carbs. Wouldn't want to damage any brain power. I'm silly enough as is.

Vegetables are the good carbs. Where bread is the bad ones. Stay away from white, white flour, white cereal, white rice, white bread all them are bad carbs.

Good luck and remember not two people are the same.
  • dmaziuk
    dmaziuk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are many different types of carbs. Veggies are mostly fiber. Your body does not store this as fat. Don't worry about eating veggie carbs. stay away from breads, potatoes, rice, and anything sugary and/or processed.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can do a low-carb diet and still eat lots of veggies. Look through my food diary. I am low-carbing and I eat between 4-6, sometimes 8 cups of veggies a day. The things I avoid are starchy not necessarily high carb veggies. I avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, etc. Stuff like salads, spinach, broccoli, okra, green beans, etc are all great for you!
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What vegetable has the best carbs?
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables have a lot of carbs in them and was wondering if I should just stick to lean meats and red meats? I'm trying to follow a low-carb diet and seems I can't achieve that with vegetables.

i know some vegetables are low-carb, but most are mid to high carb.

MOST???? not....
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    NO Eat your veg and lean meats, chicken & fish, eggs, tons of veggies, I eat tons and tons, you need them to be healthy
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about carbs in vegetables. Just put it out of your mind and eat your greens (and carrots, and peppers, and squash.....etc etc) Your brain needs carbs to function, not to mention that the majoryity of people on very low carb diets gain all the weight back as soon as they go off. There are so many health benefits to (all!) vegetables that they're not worth sacrificing in the name of low carb.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have done a keto diet, lower than 20g of carbs a day and still ate loads of salad and veggies. Just pick your veggies.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

White potatoes
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

White potatoes

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Your plate should be colorful... unless you're getting red, purple, and green meats, I suggest you keep those veggies in your life! :wink: