Are vegetables bad for you? Carb-wise?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    All vegetables are good for you. Potatoes, Corn, carrots, and green peas have the highest carb count per serving. All vegetables provide vitamins and minerals your body needs. If you go to a strict protein diet, you may find you are nutrient deficient. Many low carb diets at least allow for 100grams of carbs a day. Focusing on a diet of fruit, vegetables, lean meat, whole grains2-3 servings), and good fats are necessary for you to function normally. If you want potatoes or higher carb vegetables, then watch the whole grain servings. Substitute potatoes for bread at a meal. One small potato is about 100 calories. Top it with non-fat greek yogurt and a tsp. of olive oil. You may mess up your metabolism sticking to just protein. Check out the Zone diet. There are several books on this at the library.

Corn is a grain and is very very bad, I've seen it posted here that it killed the Mayans
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    For instance, lean beef or chicken breast, is healthier then a carb filled bowl of brocolli..carbs turn into glucose, I think weight-loss MIGHT be faster if we stuck with lean meats instead and the ocassional bacon.

I have lost 110 pounds since March of this year, and I have not eaten a single meat, especially bacon. I eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies. Veggies are certainly not bad for you, health wise or weight loss wise.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    All vegetables are good for you. Potatoes, Corn, carrots, and green peas have the highest carb count per serving. All vegetables provide vitamins and minerals your body needs. If you go to a strict protein diet, you may find you are nutrient deficient. Many low carb diets at least allow for 100grams of carbs a day. Focusing on a diet of fruit, vegetables, lean meat, whole grains2-3 servings), and good fats are necessary for you to function normally. If you want potatoes or higher carb vegetables, then watch the whole grain servings. Substitute potatoes for bread at a meal. One small potato is about 100 calories. Top it with non-fat greek yogurt and a tsp. of olive oil. You may mess up your metabolism sticking to just protein. Check out the Zone diet. There are several books on this at the library.

Corn is a grain and is very very bad, I've seen it posted here that it killed the Mayans

acg..I want to have your baby :p
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    http-inlinethumb17.webshots.com-28368-2458315780103830173S600x600Q85.jpg
  • GGJane
    GGJane Posts: 15
    I eat a lot of greens some days, or at least salad. Need veggies! Spinach is a good source of iron and fiber too. I stay away from real high carb veggies like corn and carrots. I eat green beans a lot anf the ones I buy are like 4 carbs for half a cup. :happy:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Most vegetables have a lot of carbs in them and was wondering if I should just stick to lean meats and red meats? I'm trying to follow a low-carb diet and seems I can't achieve that with vegetables.

i know some vegetables are low-carb, but most are mid to high carb.

Even old school Atkins advocating eating veggies! Lots of vitamins and fiber.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member

rice also just evil...wiped out all of Asia
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    For instance, lean beef or chicken breast, is healthier then a carb filled bowl of brocolli..carbs turn into glucose, I think weight-loss MIGHT be faster if we stuck with lean meats instead and the ocassional bacon.
    [/quote]

Your premise is just a reciepe for really bad health, you need a healthy balance of foods, including fruits and veggies. Nobody I know is unhealthy cause they eat too many veggies but many are unhealthy from too much meat, especially bacon.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member

rice also just evil...wiped out all of Asia

white-rice-is-bad-no.jpg
  • haha no..
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    What vegetable has the best carbs?

White potatoes

FTW!

Potatoes are not vegetables.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Veggies (and fruits) are the preferred/good/ must have carbs, no one ever got fat from veggies. It's the processed crap that is bad and I also severely limit grains and regard them as a treat/cheat otherwise I feel like crap and end up with migraines.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Umm...some "vegetables" such as corn (which is actually a grain), or starchy vegetables such as squash or potatoes are high carb, but most others aren't.
  • If you've cut out carbs from candy and other processed junk, you're ahead of the game. If the meager amount of carbs from vegetables is something to worry about, then we're all up a creek without a paddle. But obviously that isn't the case, since people are still losing weight eating vegetables.
  • If veggies are bad for you, then what the hell is good for you ?? !!
    Most of them are low in carbs except for carrots, potatoes and sweet potatoes so easy on those but still they're definitely better for you than processed stuff + you need carbs !! How is your brain gonna work without glucose ? I lost over 20 pounds with a low fat diet and i still ate bread ( whole wheat ) and fruit everyday.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

White potatoes

FTW!

Potatoes are the leading vegetable crop in the United States (not including sweet potatoes), contributing about 15 percent of farm sales receipts for vegetables

http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/crops/vegetables-pulses/potatoes.aspx
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

White potatoes

FTW!

Potatoes are the leading vegetable crop in the United States (not including sweet potatoes), contributing about 15 percent of farm sales receipts for vegetables

http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/crops/vegetables-pulses/potatoes.aspx

Of course the USDA would say that. They are tubers, not vegetables.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member

Only when they stopped calling it maize.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Of course the USDA would say that. They are tubers, not vegetables.
    Tubers
    rafting.jpg
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    .... -facepalm-

The only way a veggie could possibly ever be bad for you is you slathered it in butter, battered it, deep fried it, or stuffed it with tons of bad food... people need veggies, there are tons of nutrients in them.