Are vegetables bad for you? Carb-wise?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    For instance, lean beef or chicken breast, is healthier then a carb filled bowl of brocolli..carbs turn into glucose, I think weight-loss MIGHT be faster if we stuck with lean meats instead and the ocassional bacon.

I think you need to do a little more research on weight loss, proteins are insulinogenic as well. Holding cals and protein constant, fat loss won't be significantly different between a high carb vs a low carb diet
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    For instance, lean beef or chicken breast, is healthier then a carb filled bowl of brocolli..carbs turn into glucose, I think weight-loss MIGHT be faster if we stuck with lean meats instead and the ocassional bacon.

I think you need to do a little more research on weight loss, proteins are insulinogenic as well. Holding cals and protein constant, fat loss won't be significantly different between a high carb vs a low carb diet

True. The best diet would be one composed completely of fats. No insulin response = no fat gain. Lard is your friend.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    If your chose dieting method suggests that you shouldn't eat vegetables then there's a problem, and it ain't the vegetables.
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Unless you're allergic to vegetables, they are ALWAYS good for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    What vegetable has the best carbs?

White potatoes

FTW!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    I would rather have carbs from fruits and veggies than carbs from snickers & m&m's.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    What vegetable has the best carbs?

White potatoes

FTW!
    YUM!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    30662358.jpg
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    What is your fear of carbs? They are not the enemy. Carbs from nutrient dense sources like vegetables are great for health and weight loss. Why the carbophobia??
  • sjohnny
    I would rather have carbs from fruits and veggies than carbs from snickers & m&m's.

I'd RATHER have the snickers and m&ms. Regardless of what carbs they may or may not possess.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Most vegetables have a lot of carbs in them and was wondering if I should just stick to lean meats and red meats? I'm trying to follow a low-carb diet and seems I can't achieve that with vegetables.

i know some vegetables are low-carb, but most are mid to high carb.

Vegetable carbs are a preferred source and some carbs from fruits. Grain and legume carbs are not necessary.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

I'd RATHER have the snickers and m&ms. Regardless of what carbs they may or may not possess.

Says the man with skittles in his profile pic!! :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Most vegetables have a lot of carbs in them and was wondering if I should just stick to lean meats and red meats? I'm trying to follow a low-carb diet and seems I can't achieve that with vegetables.

Is that a serious question? Unless you have a medical intollerance to them or eat so much that you become overweight, there is NOTHING bad about eating vegetables. NOTHING.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    No, vegetables are not bad for you but yes they do contain carbs.

If you want to eliminate them that's your business but you will be missing out on some of the most nutrient dense, low calorie, hunger stifling items in your weight loss armoury.

The question is when going to war do you want more weapons on your side or less?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Is that a serious question? Unless you have a medical intollerance to them or eat so much that you become overweight, there is NOTHING bad about eating vegetables. NOTHING.

Even evil GMO veggies from Monsanto?
  • sjohnny
    Do you really want to be food?
    t1049sm.png
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    What is your fear of carbs? They are not the enemy. Carbs from nutrient dense sources like vegetables are great for health and weight loss. Why the carbophobia??

inb4 insulin
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member

inb4 insulin

side steel has spoken..end thread :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member

Yes, while the it's true keeping carbs low will allow your body to burn through it's first choice of energy (CHO) then move on to it's second preferred choice (fats), your performance will be greatly diminished from the lack of carbohydrates.

If this is something you are trying to lose weight quickly and don't plan on staying with it, then I'd suggest not doing it.
  • stofteland
    stofteland Posts: 19 Member
    All vegetables are good for you. Potatoes, Corn, carrots, and green peas have the highest carb count per serving. All vegetables provide vitamins and minerals your body needs. If you go to a strict protein diet, you may find you are nutrient deficient. Many low carb diets at least allow for 100grams of carbs a day. Focusing on a diet of fruit, vegetables, lean meat, whole grains2-3 servings), and good fats are necessary for you to function normally. If you want potatoes or higher carb vegetables, then watch the whole grain servings. Substitute potatoes for bread at a meal. One small potato is about 100 calories. Top it with non-fat greek yogurt and a tsp. of olive oil. You may mess up your metabolism sticking to just protein. Check out the Zone diet. There are several books on this at the library.