So, how about that coffee...

Options
What is everyones thoughts about coffee & dieting? You hear so many "Oh, it's bad for you, so much caffine" then, "Oh, it's not that bad, it helps your metabolism". DUde- I get up at 5:15 bevery morning- coffee keeps me alive through the day Lol So how do you drink YOUR coffee and diet at the same time?

Replies

• GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well coffee isnt that bad, its the stuff we put in it thats bad. That said I make mine with a tsp of brown sugar and a tbsp of half and half. I only have 2 coffees a day.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every single day and it has not hindered my weight loss. I usually do 1 cup of regular and 1 cup of decaf and I put a splenda packet and 1 tbsp of half and half in each cup. Total is about 45 calories. Love my coffee!
  • jfontanna
    jfontanna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to have my coffee as well. 2 big 'ol 16oz cups of the free (not so great, but not horrible) stuff that work provides. Each with 1/2 tbsp regular sugar.
    Total calories per cup is around 20 or so.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups of coffee and a diet mt. dew most days and it hasn't effected my weight loss/weight training at all.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I still have it but I used to have medium iced toasted almond extra cream and mocha.....

Now it's medium hot extra milk 1 sugar. about a 200 calorie difference!
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Drinking coffee hasn't deterred my weight loss. 3 or 4 cups a day, black. I drink more on the weekends. I really need my coffee!
  • rorytate
    rorytate Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    when I get coffee it's 1% milk and sweetner - which is little to no calories...

I used to get a large double double which is 2 cream 2 sugar and 200+ calories!!

I'd rather save that for some delicious food instead! Thanks!
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I find it helps, a coffee when i am getting the boredom munchies works a treat.
    I like it dark and bitter ;-) lol
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't think its the caffeine that makes people say its bad for you. Caffeine does give your metabolism a short boost, which is why its found in many "diet" drinks, but it can also mess with your sleep pattern which can adversely affect weight loss and health in general. I don't drink coffee because its gross and stains your teeth, but I do take caffeine pills OCCASIONALLY to stay awake. A little caffeine never hurt anyone! ;-)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Well coffee isnt that bad, its the stuff we put in it thats bad.

Agreed. I have one cup a day in the morning and it runs me 30-40 calories. Not really a big deal. If you are using coffee as an excuse to fill your mug with cream and sugar, that's where you'll get into calorie trouble. Plain black coffee itself is only 2 calories or so per cup.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You can pry my coffee from my cold, dead hands.

big-furry-angry-cat.gif

I...I'm sorry. I don't know where that came from...

*cough*

I drink coffee every day with 1% milk and either sugar or splenda depending on what else I'm eating with it. I'm still loosing and I don't kill people ;)
  • scruggsdl
    scruggsdl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Coffee, lots of it. My metabolism eats caffeine for breakfast. Red bulls and monster's don't do anything for me. Right now, I think coffee is keeping this corpse alive during full time work and finals. I look for heavy cream to add too.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I drink it black (no added calories) and have it every day. I'm at the gym by 5:15 every weekday, so about 1/4 of my mug is about all I can get down that early in the morning. I woudn't ever even consider giving it up unless I had some other medical reason...

I don't think it hinders weight loss at all, as long as you aren't adding a bunch of cream and sugar that you don't account for (those are the kinds of calories tend to sneak up on people)
  • mslynn1007
    Options
    Yes, I know what you guys mean! - I NEED my coffee! LOL Are there any Starbucks drinkers out there? I started working there almost 4 moths ago...word to the wise- STAY AWAY FROM THE SYRUPS! Those drinks are killer with the calories!
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i agree, it's not the coffee but what i put in it, because i LOVE flavored creamer so i inevitably put A LOT of it in it.... my breakfast is usually creamer. LOL. but, i only let myself have it a few times a week, not evey day. a, i don't want to be dependant on it, and b, i don't want to put too much caffeine in my body. i've had it more this week than usual (had 2 cups on tuesday, 1 yesterday and 1 today). i have to admit -- it definitely seems to initiate droppin' some kids off at the pool and i like that! LOL!
  • mslynn1007
    Options
    You can pry my coffee from my cold, dead hands.

big-furry-angry-cat.gif

I...I'm sorry. I don't know where that came from...

*cough*

I drink coffee every day with 1% milk and either sugar or splenda depending on what else I'm eating with it. I'm still loosing and I don't kill people ;)

Love it! Lol
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have one mug (12 oz) of coffee every single morning, I drink flavored coffee (vanilla and hazelnut are my favs or add a sprinkle of cinnamon to plain grinds before brewing) and 2 tablespoons or so of fat free half and half.

It has not hindered my weightloss, keeps me "regular" and I love it so much I don't even track it, it is the ONLY thing I do not put into my MFP diary...not sure why, really??

If you love it, drink it. Same goes for wine... :)
  • mslynn1007
    Options
    I have one mug (12 oz) of coffee every single morning, I drink flavored coffee (vanilla and hazelnut are my favs or add a sprinkle of cinnamon to plain grinds before brewing) and 2 tablespoons or so of fat free half and half.

It has not hindered my weightloss, keeps me "regular" and I love it so much I don't even track it, it is the ONLY thing I do not put into my MFP diary...not sure why, really??

If you love it, drink it. Same goes for wine... :)

I like red wine (Shamong Red ;-) but thats only occasionally
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I can never give up coffee and I never will. I have been doing fine while enjoying my black gold. I DO, however, mix it up with some decaf from time to time.

I'm not sure I would want to live if I couldn't have coffee.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I use a one cup Moka pot for my coffee; it produces a strong, espresso-like brew. I'll heat up milk (1 cup), stir in sweetener and then pour in the coffee. If I use 1% milk and sugar, it's 145 calories. I can live with that. I also prefer it to Starbucks at this point :D

108211?defaultImage=noimage_wasserstrom&wid=227&hei=227&fmt=jpg