Looking for new veggie ideas! please share your faves

Options
124»

Replies

• RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to try new ones? I am currently stationed by myself with my husband 1500 miles away (gotta love the military) and I grew up in the south with a picky taste in food. As of right now, I will willingly eat potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, lima beans (my fave!!), green beans, broccoli (also a fave!) and one or two others. I want to try new veggies but I'm afraid of buying something and not liking it and being stuck with the rest - any suggestions??
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If you like sweet potato, you should try Korean Pumpkin. It is dark green on the outside, and orange on the inside.

You can scoop out the insides and puree them, boil it like a soup, and add some ginger and salt and honey to taste.
  • aweber73
    aweber73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check out the cookbook "Veganomicon" by Isa Moskowitz (sp?). It's a vegan cookbook but contains a great section on basic preparation for all sorts of vegetables.
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    garlic sauteed spinach, Garlic and butter steamed asparagus, celery with hot sauce and little ranch dressing, or simply bake your chicken but top it with veggies , cover with foil and let it cook together YUM!
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Cook Turnip and a couple of carrots (maybe called rutabaga in the States?) .. mash together.. sweetness of the carrots keeps the turnip from tasting bitter at all .. little butter, S&P it's amazingly delish.. even kids will love it (we've called the dish "squirmit" for some strange reason since we were kids.. :embarassed: but it's a must at every Christmas feast to this day).
    We eat this all the time, too. Carrots and rutabagas. My husband calls it ponch mipe. Great stuff. :smile:
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cook cabbage with chicken broth, onion, add a can of tomatoes with green chilis....season with salt and pepper. Great soup ... Especially in the cold weather
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    bump :bigsmile:

hoping for more ideas lol.. i love all veggies but tend to get stuck in prepping the same ones.. loving all these!