Obese Only Gym?

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I think it's a fantastic idea. For $300 a month, you get access to a gym with equipment that can handle your weight and size, personal training EVERY TIME YOU'RE THERE, and a nutrition plan. It's really geared toward those ready to commit to a lifestyle change and who just need the tools to do it. I know not everyone can afford it, but it definitely sounds like you get bang for your buck. ...Such a steep price probably means that when you're in shape and you don't need the help anymore, you'll join somewhere more affordable. Fit members are allowed to stay, but I don't imagine many will.

It's beyond just feeling comfortable working out around fit people. Big girls will come to my Zumba or Turbokick classes and won't stay because the jumping and twisting is too much for their joints. Standard treadmills can't hold people of a certain size. A gym like this provides people with equipment and activities to get them in shape without injuring themselves. It's a void in the fitness market that's needed to be filled, and I'm glad someone's doing it.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Do you know how many Obese people are afraid to go to the gym? LOTS! I was one of them. I eventually made the leap but it took a long time before I had the guts to do it. What about those people who never get the nerve to go? What about equipment built to hold heavier sizes?

Some people would be more comfortable in a gym with people in their same situation. I like the idea because it could make a HUGE difference in peoples lives who might never go to the gym otherwise.

*Though if you have an obese only gym I think it's only fair people can have a fit only gym as well*
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Yikes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    So I saw on the news this morning that in Dallas, a new gym is causing some controversy because it is an obese only gym (according to the news there are 3 that they are aware of). To be allowed to join you must go through an evaluation and be deeemed 50lbs overweight. I am all for everybody getting into fitness and getting in shape and I have no problem with this type of gym to each there own whatever gym or home workout works for you I'm all for it, but as I was running I just had this thought.

Living in the US were people are sued and there a lawsuites for all types of things, If somebody opened a Fit only gym that was very selective about its members and you had to be at a certain fitness level (and this may exist and I may not be aware of it, im sure they do). If it were all over the news how long would it be or does anybody think they would get sued for discrimination by somebody that was overweight or not in shape not being allowed to join.

Any thoughts?

I think all these lawsuits and discrimination regulations should just go away.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    I seriously live 2 blocks from this gym and had no idea that was their shtick. It kind of reminds me of a thread I saw a few months ago about a speed dating service that checked your dress size and wouldn't accept any woman over a size 8.

It is gross that people feel they need to do these things, but the truth is in this case they are in locations where there is no shortage on affordable gyms. And the locations they have chosen, for he most part are going to get a large part of the population that will fall within their requirements.

The thing is, when it is a private club, you can pretty much do what you want.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

If it allows people who wouldn't ordinarily go to a gym because they are intimidated to do so and get exercising in a "safe" environment I am all for it.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    tumblr_m9uyuuPTVr1rxg54eo5_250.gif
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    It's discriminatory, yes, but there are "fit only" type gyms out there as well. There are a lot of people who would rather go to an obese only gym, especially those of us who've had bad experiences with being made fun of while exercising in the gym/in public.
  • tumblr_m9uyuuPTVr1rxg54eo5_250.gif

LOL sooo cute!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Either way you go someone is going to get their panties in a bunch. A fit only gym will cause unfit people to complain how they can't lose weight because the gym won't take them. An obese only gym will make fit people annoyed because they want to work out too. And a mix gym causes the problems because obese people complain about fit people making rude comments, and fit people complain about obese people (no not saying ALL do, but it happens)
  • I love the idea. The only reason I don't join 'a normal gym' now is because I'm deathly afraid of being judged. Yeah, I need to grow out of it, but at my own pace. I think I would feel a lot more comfortable and be much more successful in a place like that.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Do they kick you out after you use their gym to lose the weight?
  • aguethler
    aguethler Posts: 26 Member
    I absolutely do not think they would be sued for that. Take the back, they will probably be sued, people sue for everything, but they won't win. It is called reverse discrimination and it happens ALL the time legally. How many schools, scholarships, or organizations are just for women, just for minorities, etc, This is not at all different.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    lets sue "the biggest loser" then.. because they only pick the biggest people they can find.. what if i wanted to go on there? (15 lbs to lose) lol
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    I guess i can see why this is a valid style of gym. People dont want to be judged by their peirs and for some people that is the very reason that they will not pursue a fitness group.

Take Curves for example Curves is for women only because some women find it very intimidating working out next to a man... thats why most gyms (here at least) offer a female only section.

I agree that it isnt really fair for them to discriminate against others because wouldnt this be the very reason a gym of this type would open up.... to make people feel comfortable and not judged.

But in todays society most people will look at this style of gym and believe that it is ok to allow "obese only gyms" but not "fit only" because an obese only gym is a "solution" to a problem were as a fit only gym would be viewed as ignorant and insensitive.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    I know one reason (among many of course) that obese people don't go to the gym is that they think they're being judged for their weight. And yes, yes they are. But not always in a negative way! If I'm in the gym and there's a 300 pound girl next to me on the elliptical huffing and puffing, I'm judging her in the respect that I'm dang proud of her! She's taking such inititive! Now, her thoughts are probably 1.) make this blonde girl next to me stop smiling lol and 2.) she thinks I'm fat and disgusting. Which just isn't true!

I'll tell you when I DO judge obese people (and I was obese, so I feel as though I have slightly more "right" to say something than other people who have never had more than a few pounds to lose in their whole life, because i've been through the struggle) is when they're saying they don't have the time to work out, yet they spend 4 hours playing video games. That they can't eat well because they won't have the money for the health food, yet they're at a buffet every weekend and eat out EVERY day. That they'll start next month when they join that gym, but it's beautiful weather outside. That they "dont care about getting healthy", yet I see the sad expression on their face when we're out on the town because they aren't the norm.

I do realize this is a marketing stunt. But in short, I wish obese people didn't feel so discriminated against in regular gyms. I, for one, love seeing them there! And really hope to KEEP seeing them there!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    It makes great business sense to me. If the fat folks get thin, then they are happy. They gonna tell the fatties who are just getting started to go to Bally or to the place that worked for them?

Additionally, do you think the supply of fatties will dry up one day and everyone will be thin so they will have no clients? NOT!!!!

JMHO, of course

(I can call 'em fatties 'cause I am one of the folks who could probably still go to the gym in question, even after losing 64 lbs.)

Whether it's overtly open only to larger ppl, or covertly only thin fit hotties should be there, it's irrelevant. Weight, too much, too little, or just right is not a protected class, according to the ADA regs.

Barb

• CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    A lot of boxing and powerlifting gyms only work with fit well-trained people so they do exist.

My only question is, "What happens if an obese person gets fit?" Do they have to leave the obese-only gym?
    I was wondering the same thing!
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    I know one reason (among many of course) that obese people don't go to the gym is that they think they're being judged for their weight. And yes, yes they are. But not always in a negative way! If I'm in the gym and there's a 300 pound girl next to me on the elliptical huffing and puffing, I'm judging her in the respect that I'm dang proud of her! She's taking such inititive! Now, her thoughts are probably 1.) make this blonde girl next to me stop smiling lol and 2.) she thinks I'm fat and disgusting. Which just isn't true!

I'll tell you when I DO judge obese people (and I was obese, so I feel as though I have slightly more "right" to say something than other people who have never had more than a few pounds to lose in their whole life, because i've been through the struggle) is when they're saying they don't have the time to work out, yet they spend 4 hours playing video games. That they can't eat well because they won't have the money for the health food, yet they're at a buffet every weekend and eat out EVERY day. That they'll start next month when they join that gym, but it's beautiful weather outside. That they "dont care about getting healthy", yet I see the sad expression on their face when we're out on the town because they aren't the norm.

I do realize this is a marketing stunt. But in short, I wish obese people didn't feel so discriminated against in regular gyms. I, for one, love seeing them there! And really hope to KEEP seeing them there!
    I have to agree! when i first started going to the gym I was about 215 pounds at only 5' 3". I felt like everyone was staring at me and hating me for making their atmosphere ugly. i was okay as long as it wasn't crowded and tried to stay at the back, but if anyone looked at me or if i felt like they were watching me i would leave... i wasted the entire membership because i felt unworthy. I now know that it was all in my head and actually have a gym in my garage so i can workout anytime i want (with the exception of June, July, and august because i live in Texas) anyway... I agree with you.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    I belonged to an exercise group last time I lost a lot of weight that you had to be at least 50 pounds overweight to join. It was WONDERFUL because you were not judged. You didn't have to quit when you lost the weight, you just had to have been overweight at the time of joining. I went from 300 to 212 in that group. 184 was my goal weight.