why have gym lost the hardcore feel

Options

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Here is a simple answer for everyone who has responded to the OP.

In Home Gym.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

In Home Gym.

Can't fit a power cage at home.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

In Home Gym.

See, I'm totally trying to persuade the missus that this is exactly what the spare room needs....... I'm not sure how negotiations are proceeding at this point though!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Never mind gyms - you should hear the grunting and groans in our Yoga class! they just don't know what Hardcore Yoga is these days :noway: :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Never mind gyms - you should hear the grunting and groans in our Yoga class! they just don't know what Hardcore Yoga is these days :noway: :bigsmile:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude, you just cannot resist mentioning yoga in a lifting thread :tongue: Its like Dave with the HRM threads!

ETA: and it took all my willpower not to made a lewd comment about grunting and groaning but I resisted.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

In Home Gym.

See, I'm totally trying to persuade the missus that this is exactly what the spare room needs....... I'm not sure how negotiations are proceeding at this point though!

Compromise and get a squat rack?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

when I am doing my warm up on the treadmill, and I have my music cranked, I see no reason why I should be hearing some guy 20 feet away grunt so loud that I can hear it loud and clear over my music.

see, that's just a bad layout of a gym. I go to two gyms at the moment - one a hardcore bodybuilding-type gym with a ton of weights and a load of guys with arms they can't put down by their sides properly - this has a small (2 treadmils, 2 ellipticals, 2 rowers) cardio section upstairs away from the grunting. The other, pretty gym, has rows upon rows or treadmills and ellipticals, some resistance machines in a room upstairs, and the free weights in a big room in the basement

Grunting and noise from clanging weights is to be expected. Okay, some of it IS posturing, but the first gym I go to has several champion bodybuilders and competitive lifters. I'm not going to ask them to stop grunting because they are trainging to win. If you can hear the grunting above the music on the treadmill, well the gym needs to rethink the way it has its layout to best beneift the customers.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    It is a supply and demand business, they have to cater for everyone and exercise has become either a part of everyday life or trendy for some people.

As stated, either find a bodybuilding gym that is dedicated to strong lifts, which has the environment you're after. Get your own equipment and train at home or carry on at your present gym.

Has it changed recently to what you describe or has watching a few documentaries on-line changed your opinion?

You could always quit the gym if that is the case, can't say they'd close if you left but they know that and really don't care.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hello i remember watching videos of gold gym when arnold and the great legends use to workout there was no messing arround i watch videos now of Gym there are so many rules and regulations. you cant groan. you cant drop dumbbells. you cant I mean is it a GYM or a library. Gym dont have barbells but they have the latest treadmil elipetical i mean dear god where is the hardcore proper barbell dumbbells and chalk mess on the floor LOL and TV in the gym always playing POP justin beiber sorry i come to workout not watch justin beiber or nicki minaj.

whats ur opnion

Theres no messing around at my gym as far as playing and goofing off- youre there to work out not for a party. You can groan, pant, whatever but not so loud youre disturbing others. My gym has TVS but they are preset to channels- i just dont watch. I listen to my music. (although the other day I DID watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas while on the tread)

I think you need to re-evaluate what youre looking for or get a new gym.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    welcome to the 21st century OP ;)
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think gyms are trying to reach wider audiences, and as such, have moved away from the traditional gym to a "fitness center" model.

My gym has rules about the no dropping weights on the floor, but it still happens occasionally and nothing is said. Grunting is not regulated, so we can grunt away.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    When I'm done building my weight lifting gym, it's going to be hard core.
    We'll have a guy that goes around to all the power racks and punches you in the junk between sets.

Sounds hardcore!

Seriously though, if you're concentrating on the noises that others are making, you're not really concentrating on your own workout properly.

Grow up, learn some focus and get the most out of your own workout without being weak-minded enough to blame others for your short-comings.

While lifting I'm not terribly aware of what everyone else is doing as I am focused on what I am doing. There is one guy who is VERY grunty/moany at my gym, he makes me giggle. The pop music is kinda annoying, but I can choose to have headphones or not!
  • bigknight78
    Options
    There are still plenty of "hardcore" gyms out there (at least there are where I live)...they just don't advertise for clients the way a chain like Planet Fitness does. Not every gym is for everyone (there are people who ONLY want to pump iron and others who prefer to glide along on the treadmill at a place that offers childcare).....you just have to find the one that suits YOUR needs....

Exactly the point. There are multiple types of gyms out there, you just need to find the one you like.
    If you dont want people grunting or dropping weights, go to a Planet Fitness & get free pizza.
    If you are going to lift heavy, drop weights and grunt as you try for heavy singles, then find somewhere where this is tolerated.

I lift at a place where there is always chalk in the air, plates crashing around and always loud music. That is my choice, literally over the road is a "gym" with a bank of cardio equipment and some token weights. I chose the place I feel most comfortable in and where I could reach my personal goals.
    Do some research into the place before you sign up for a lengthy contract, the best people to ask are the other users, I am sure they wont mind you asking about the place (obviously if you arent interupting their training session).

We have this wonderful thing called freedom of choice, if you dont like something, do something about it.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The gym that used to be near where I live till it closed down :huh: had a separate weights room from the cardio machines
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

In Home Gym.

Compromise and get a squat rack?

I need you to mediate!
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    Ummm, I'm a girl and I have on occasion grunted. When my trainer puts me into resistance training and wants me to push back on him with all my strength...I do sometimes make noise.:blushing: I don't do it on purpose, but I want my leg muscles to stretch and he pushes down on them, I have to push back. Make noise, yes...but I don't think it's loud. Actually, after I left the gym I had to laugh at myself because I was wondering if it sounded like bedroom noises, if you know what I mean....:embarassed: Toward the very end of a set if I want to get in that last rep and push myself, I might make a little noise. I occasionally hear people make some noise, but with headphones on, who cares???
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Grunting enables you to push that last little bit of everything into your exercise. If people don't like to hear it then go somewhere else :huh:
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Most of us go to gym to work on ourselves, right? With that in mind, constant grunting and throwing around of equipment falls in the same category as telling your girlfriend what you think of her stink-*kitten* other friend while eeeeeverybody can hear.

It's just something that's Too Much Information. I really don't want to think about YOUR burst nut while trying to work on MY routine. Although, the perception- for me, at least - changes if it's a group of people (ok, it's mostly guys) kind of egging each other on. THEN grunting is fully allowed in my book. Not least among the reasons why I can tune it out is that generally I can see them spotting each other so I'm not afraid I'll have to clean gray matter off the floor because someone tried to lift more than they should have, grunted and their head exploded.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude, you just cannot resist mentioning yoga in a lifting thread :tongue: Its like Dave with the HRM threads!

ETA: and it took all my willpower not to made a lewd comment about grunting and groaning but I resisted.

Ha ha! You'all love me really!
    As Dave ses - at least my Yoga-posts are short enough to scroll over! :tongue:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Ummm, I'm a girl and I have on occasion grunted. When my trainer puts me into resistance training and wants me to push back on him with all my strength...I do sometimes make noise.:blushing: I don't do it on purpose, but I want my leg muscles to stretch and he pushes down on them, I have to push back. Make noise, yes...but I don't think it's loud. Actually, after I left the gym I had to laugh at myself because I was wondering if it sounded like bedroom noises, if you know what I mean....:embarassed: Toward the very end of a set if I want to get in that last rep and push myself, I might make a little noise. I occasionally hear people make some noise, but with headphones on, who cares???

I'm not saying that everyone has to be QUIET in the gym, noise is OK. I do grunt on occasion too. HOWEVER, I am fairly certain that the guy 10 feet away with headphones on cannot hear me. My issue is with the guys who grunt/primal scream so loud that I can hear them across the gym with my music cranked and my headphones on.