Do you live to eat? or do you eat to live?

Options
13»

Replies

• Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I live to eat! I love to cook. I love good quality ingredients. I read food blogs and magazines. I write my own recipes. When breakfast is over, I think about lunch, and when I finish lunch, I look forward to dinner, after dinner I greatly anticipate my dessert. For me, food is something I find true joy in eating and sharing.

^This.

I have 200 cookbooks at home 25 years worth of issues to Bon Appetit magazine, and the only TV I liked to watch was Good Eats.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat to live during the week and live to eat on weekends!

THIS!! :laugh: Gotta get my weekends under control...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously I eat to live. I'm not sure where you are going with the question, but I suppose I do also live to eat. I spend a good deal of time earning money to procure food, prepare food and I often look forward to eating food, especially if it's been a while since I last ate food. Sometimes I attend parties or events organized specifically to eat food together. Food is a big part of my life.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Neither. As with most things in life, I tend away from the endpoints in favor of the middle ground.

Agreed. Some foods I eat to live, some foods I live to eat. Why can't you do both?

Living to eat is gluttonous behavior, which is one of the 7 deadly sins.

Living to eat does not automatically make one "an excessively greedy eater," "a person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink."

You're confusing overeating with loving the act of preparing or eating delicious food.

I live to eat (among other things, of course). I am not a glutton. I make fantastic meals, and they always fit into a healthy calorie range. Overeating for me is the exception, not the rule, but food? It brings me pleasure and I'm totally cool with that. Fine food, fine drink? Yes. Only if you consume it to excess are you a glutton.

For those that don't over eat, yet have a meal and are thinking about their next meal or snack..............that is gluttonous behaviors.

I eat to live and also enjoy fine food and drink. I love to cook also, but I don't live to eat. I fix my meal, eat what I want of it and then go about my day. When it is time for my next meal, I cook again and enjoy what I want of said meal also.

Though I think your definition of "gluttonous" is suspect, I have only this to say:

Hell is going to be filled with the best chefs and we're going to have amazing dinner parties. You will not be invited.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My answer is best summed up by these quotes:

"I, for one, would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak, or one small serving of chocolate mousse, or a sliver of foie gras than indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings...."

"The pleasures of the table — that lovely old-fashioned phrase — depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

Agreed, Julia Child.

Food can add tremendous joy to your life; there is nothing wrong or unhealthy about loving it. A great meal is something I live for, sure - it's one of many things that make my life a pleasure to live. The fact that a great meal most often is made with real ingredients, "beautifully conceived," nourishing my body is a bonus. Like I enjoy a good run or playing with my son, I love great food. I'm not afraid to admit that. I'm delighted that I've found a balance that allows my body to be healthy and my palate to be satisfied.

Hear, hear!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Neither. As with most things in life, I tend away from the endpoints in favor of the middle ground.

Agreed. Some foods I eat to live, some foods I live to eat. Why can't you do both?

Living to eat does not automatically make one "an excessively greedy eater," "a person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink."

You're confusing overeating with loving the act of preparing or eating delicious food.

I live to eat (among other things, of course). I am not a glutton. I make fantastic meals, and they always fit into a healthy calorie range. Overeating for me is the exception, not the rule, but food? It brings me pleasure and I'm totally cool with that. Fine food, fine drink? Yes. Only if you consume it to excess are you a glutton.

For those that don't over eat, yet have a meal and are thinking about their next meal or snack..............that is gluttonous behaviors.

I eat to live and also enjoy fine food and drink. I love to cook also, but I don't live to eat. I fix my meal, eat what I want of it and then go about my day. When it is time for my next meal, I cook again and enjoy what I want of said meal also.

I'm sorry, but I'm wondering where in my post (which you quoted with your gluttony warning) did you read that I stuff my face all day and am constantly thinking about food? Have we met? Do you know me and my eating habit? Uhh, thought not.

I enjoy some foods immensely. The are pleasureable and I like to eat them. Do I think about those foods sometimes? Yep. Do I constantly shove food into my face in an attempt to "eat all the foods"? Obviously not (check my ticker if you don't believe me).

Don't make assumptions that enjoyment = sin.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options

So the fact that when I go grocery shopping I am planning my next 15 or so meals would be a gluttonous sin...really? :noway: I have a big family and planning is the only way I can afford and balance meals at my house. Since I am going to hell anyway I am gonna let loose in the rest of my life. Who is with me? :devil:
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I eat to live because not, I would die. Everybody eats to live until one point.
    But I also live to eat. I enjoy good food. I also enjoy good people, good books, good music, etc. I live for all the good things life has to offer.
    Just that know I know when to stop with eating. And how to make low calorie good food.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to be a live to eater. But loud and proud I have become an eat to liver!! XD

Happy Friday, everyone!
  • SignalRunner77
    Options
    Mmmm.. I live to eat. It's why I run so much
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Both. I eat to nourish my body but the foods I enjoy, cook and eat all are a big part of "living" for me. I enjoy food, its not just cals and macros for me. I can never have the food is strictly fuel mentality haha.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Pfft. This kind of dietary mediocrity will never work.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I would swim in pizza, 'twere it feasible.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Both. It makes life more fun.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My answer is best summed up by these quotes:

"I, for one, would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak, or one small serving of chocolate mousse, or a sliver of foie gras than indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings...."

"The pleasures of the table — that lovely old-fashioned phrase — depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

Agreed, Julia Child.

Food can add tremendous joy to your life; there is nothing wrong or unhealthy about loving it. A great meal is something I live for, sure - it's one of many things that make my life a pleasure to live. The fact that a great meal most often is made with real ingredients, "beautifully conceived," nourishing my body is a bonus. Like I enjoy a good run or playing with my son, I love great food. I'm not afraid to admit that. I'm delighted that I've found a balance that allows my body to be healthy and my palate to be satisfied.

^^^ THIS
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Live to eat. I love it!

Yep this!! I love to eat
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I think this assumption comes from Thomas Aquinas' definition of gluttony. He thought the sin of gluttony could be committed in several different ways beyond over-consumption.

I grew up Catholic.

I'm not anymore

I don't really care about the technicalities and finer points of one person's definition of gluttony. I know I'm certainly no glutton.

:flowerforyou:
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Live to eat :(
  • cubanchili
    cubanchili Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I live to eat! It's not easy, I tend to eat too much especially when the food is delicious! That's why I am here!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

lol oh