Anti Inflammatory Diet Grocery list

Options

Replies

• juliedaniluk
    Options
    Hello,

I wrote a 416 page book on the Anti-inflammatory diet called Meals That Heal Inflammation. It has a fantastic 16 page chart that details how certain foods inflame your body and how healing foods can reduce inflammation- www.juliedaniluk.com

Here are the basics:

Ditch the flour and sugar

White flour, a simple carbohydrate, breaks down into sugar right in your mouth with the help of digestive enzymes, so save your sweets for special treats.

And high amounts of sugar in the diet increase advanced glycation end-products, or AGEs, a protein bound to a glucose molecule, resulting in damaged, cross-linked proteins.

2. Avoid allergy foods

Eating foods that you are allergic to destabilizes your insulin and causes poor blood sugar levels, which leads to greater inflammation. Common allergens include wheat, gluten, corn, dairy, sugar and potatoes.

3. Eat 7 veggies

Red radishes, orange yams, purple cabbage and dark-green veggies are rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants that dampen inflammation. Focus on cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, etc.), which are loaded with Indole 3 Carbonol.

4. Eat lean protein sources

Beans, chicken, turkey and wild game (elk, emu, bison, etc.) are great sources of lean protein.

5. Give yourself an oil change Avoid refined trans-fat, omega-6 oil (soy, corn and cottonseed oil) in cooking and use more olive oil. Olive oil is a great source of oleic acid, making it a powerful anti-inflammatory oil.

Choose grass fed livestock, flax, chia and hemp seeds, wild salmon (not farmed) or smaller coldwater fish such as herring, sardines and mackerel are your best choices for high-powered, anti-inflammatory foods.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm about to embark on a paleo autoimmune approach. A *lot* of it is geared toward anti-inflammatory foods which is very important to me. Feel free to add me if you want! PaleoMom.com has some amazing information for starters - I highly recommend checking out some of her articles.

One of my co-workers recommended that to me. I have bone marrow edema and I was thinking of eating anti-inflammatory diet to see if it helped with my pain.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I have what is typically known as the beginning stage of Lupus. I have recently started incorporating more anti inflammatory foods to my diet to help manage pain, and I honestly believe they work as my pain level is not as bad when I eat them, and I can also say that it is worse when I eat things that are on the inflammatory list.

My dr and I discussed diet as part of managing my pain instead of a host of prescription medications. I drink a cup of green tea a day with about a tablespoon of grated frozen ginger in it (freezing it makes the ginger grate easier) and I eat some type of berries every day. Green leafy vegetables are a must, such as kale and collards. If I am in a situation where I must eat something that is prepackaged or packed with preservatives, I swear I feel it. I think eating a diet of foods as close to their natural state as possible has helped me in many ways.

I am of the belief that we are here on this earth to help each other. I do not mind sharing my business with other people if it can help them. I live in chronic pain. If there is anyone out there that is in the same situation and would like to talk about it, feel free to message me. I really do not think many people that do not have chronic pain cant truly understand it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I wrote a 416 page book on the Anti-inflammatory diet called Meals That Heal Inflammation. It has a fantastic 16 page chart that details how certain foods inflame your body and how healing foods can reduce inflammation- www.juliedaniluk.com

Here are the basics:

White flour, a simple carbohydrate, breaks down into sugar right in your mouth with the help of digestive enzymes, so save your sweets for special treats.

And high amounts of sugar in the diet increase advanced glycation end-products, or AGEs, a protein bound to a glucose molecule, resulting in damaged, cross-linked proteins.

2. Avoid allergy foods

Eating foods that you are allergic to destabilizes your insulin and causes poor blood sugar levels, which leads to greater inflammation. Common allergens include wheat, gluten, corn, dairy, sugar and potatoes.

3. Eat 7 veggies

Red radishes, orange yams, purple cabbage and dark-green veggies are rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants that dampen inflammation. Focus on cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, etc.), which are loaded with Indole 3 Carbonol.

Beans, chicken, turkey and wild game (elk, emu, bison, etc.) are great sources of lean protein.

5. Give yourself an oil change Avoid refined trans-fat, omega-6 oil (soy, corn and cottonseed oil) in cooking and use more olive oil. Olive oil is a great source of oleic acid, making it a powerful anti-inflammatory oil.

Choose grass fed livestock, flax, chia and hemp seeds, wild salmon (not farmed) or smaller coldwater fish such as herring, sardines and mackerel are your best choices for high-powered, anti-inflammatory foods.

I can't find any scientific evidence for anti-inflammatory foods.
    Do you have any controlled studies we could reference?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Here are the basics:

2. Avoid allergy foods

3. Eat 7 veggies

If you had chronic pain, you would have evidence. :wink:

I can say for a fact that what has been said above works for me. Maybe not everyone, but it does for me. I can especially tell when I eat the foods to avoid.

If you are not in any pain, count yourself blessed. If you are, then try this diet to see for yourself how you feel. If you are just wanting to spout the "scientific evidence blah blah blah", that is rude, there are people in pain here. We will do what ever we can to not hurt so bad, ALL THE TIME.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Here are the basics:

2. Avoid allergy foods

3. Eat 7 veggies

If you had chronic pain, you would have evidence. :wink:

I can say for a fact that what has been said above works for me. Maybe not everyone, but it does for me. I can especially tell when I eat the foods to avoid.

If you are not in any pain, count yourself blessed. If you are, then try this diet to see for yourself how you feel. If you are just wanting to spout the "scientific evidence blah blah blah", that is rude, there are people in pain here. We will do what ever we can to not hurt so bad, ALL THE TIME.

I suffered from chronic pain and inflammation for years. I couldn't function at all and life was hell. I was diagnosed with diabetes, so had to have a complete rethink of my entire diet. I ditched all carbs except complex ones in fruit, veg etc, and even then reduced my fruit to just berries, and veg grown above ground. I cut out all flour except nut flours, cut out fast and processed foods. From having ankles and knees that were so swollen I could barely put pants on, the swelling was so bad, and the pain unbelievable just having fabric pulling tight on the joints, I am now wearing skinny jeans, pull on ankle boots, and can walk for miles and exercise. I do eat dairy, as I have no allergies to it, but by cutting out all the foods that did cause problems, I have transformed my life.

I hope you find a way to treat your inflammation no matter where or what it is, it can be so debilitating and rob you of a normal life. Good luck.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Here are the basics:

2. Avoid allergy foods

3. Eat 7 veggies

Woot, this is a GREAT post!!! I could have wrote this same book and my suggestions were going to be similar.

I might add that nightshade vegetables can also be a source of great inflammation. I know they are for me dealing with Fibromyalgia, PCOS, T2 Diabetes, and Hypo-Thyroid.

I was on the Atkins Nutritonal Approach and found that when I added in legumes, grains, dairy that I had various health related issues to arise..........

I transitioned over to Paleo and those issues for the most part went away. I was still dealing with some muscular and joint pains due to the Fibromyalgia and started leaving out the peppers and tomatoes that I love so much and those issues went away also.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I researched anti-inflammatory foods big time for health reasons also.
    Pineapple - Nature's ibuprofen
    Cinnamon
    Garlic
    Turmeric
    Tea
    Flax seed

some of my favorite things are on this list. One more reason for me to enjoy them!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Hello,

Here are the basics:

2. Avoid allergy foods

3. Eat 7 veggies

That is the major thing wrong with Western Medicine and thinking..............everything has to be rooted in science, peer reviewed, etc.

I prefer to go back to the mindset of the Indians and the Acient Orient (Eastern Medicine) in which they relied on Nature and the healing energies of Mother Earth. When I was suffering from pnuemonia and pluerisy a few weeks ago the Dr could NOT get the congestion to go away for nothing. I was on steroids and asthma inhalers (I don't have asthma). My sister suggested this tea made by Nuwati Herbals..........called The Healer tea. Within 5 days my congestion was completely gone.

Sometimes nature works way better than science.

When nourishing and caring for the body properly using positive energies, eating nourishing foods, Love, Play, Rest the body can and will heal itself with no pharmaceutical intervention.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My friend is on an anti-inflammatory diet and she lives by garlic and ginger. I guess I should pay attention to what else she eats, but those are definite staples in her diet. It's always fresh ginger, btw. She makes tea, shreds it into most stove-top dishes, and her protein shakes.

I don't see much ginger around here, I'll look for it!!

wal-mart has it. (it's buy the lettuce and stuff)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I wish that my body would have healed itself Paleo Path. :ohwell: That is very true for some, but, not all. I had taken sublingual St. John's Wort and other natural teas for 1 year when suffering from Post~Partum years ago and I plummeted so far that they almost had to admit me. Once I was given a "Western" medicine for depression I was back to my old self with in 2 weeks and was a happy camper for my family. I WISHED that Eastern medicine would have worked for me and I am so glad it worked for you! Blessings!:flowerforyou:
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I wish that my body would have healed itself Paleo Path. :ohwell: That is very true for some, but, not all. I had taken sublingual St. John's Wort and other natural teas for 1 year when suffering from Post~Partum years ago and I plummeted so far that they almost had to admit me. Once I was given a "Western" medicine for depression I was back to my old self with in 2 weeks and was a happy camper for my family. I WISHED that Eastern medicine would have worked for me and I am so glad it worked for you! Blessings!:flowerforyou:

In my opinion, St. Johns Wort is dangerous and no one should be taking it! St. Johns Wort is not meant for long term, only for a couple of weeks. I'm sorry you had to go through that!
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My friend is on an anti-inflammatory diet and she lives by garlic and ginger. I guess I should pay attention to what else she eats, but those are definite staples in her diet. It's always fresh ginger, btw. She makes tea, shreds it into most stove-top dishes, and her protein shakes.

I don't see much ginger around here, I'll look for it!!

wal-mart has it. (it's buy the lettuce and stuff)

Thank you! :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

St John's Wort doesn't work for depression for a lot of people.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Make sure you avoid farmed fish; they are fed diets that are not natural to them and it affects their fatty acid profile of their flesh. Farmed salmon is the worst- eating that is inflammatory, as opposed to the wild caught, which is higher in O-3s. Fish oil (from wild sources) is also critical.

You may hear that eggs and chicken are inflammatory foods, but the ones they looked at were commercial. I would bet money that eggs from chickens that are *actually* free range- aka live in someone's yard and eat bugs, grass, etc, not "vegetarian" (which chickens are NOT!) are probably full of O-3s. Same with the chickens themselves. That also goes for grass fed beef or pork that is raised more naturally and sustainably.

Read "The War Within" by Dr. Chilton, an excellent book on curing inflammatory conditions with diet. He's way against farm raised fish (we should be too- bad for the fish and the environment).

good luck
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    St John's Wort is working awesome for me! Sometimes you need to take enough. The dose really varies.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Make sure you avoid farmed fish; they are fed diets that are not natural to them and it affects their fatty acid profile of their flesh. Farmed salmon is the worst- eating that is inflammatory, as opposed to the wild caught, which is higher in O-3s. Fish oil (from wild sources) is also critical.

You may hear that eggs and chicken are inflammatory foods, but the ones they looked at were commercial. I would bet money that eggs from chickens that are *actually* free range- aka live in someone's yard and eat bugs, grass, etc, not "vegetarian" (which chickens are NOT!) are probably full of O-3s. Same with the chickens themselves. That also goes for grass fed beef or pork that is raised more naturally and sustainably.

Read "The War Within" by Dr. Chilton, an excellent book on curing inflammatory conditions with diet. He's way against farm raised fish (we should be too- bad for the fish and the environment).

good luck

Yes, all of this is true and should be considered.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    St John's Wort is working awesome for me! Sometimes you need to take enough. The dose really varies.

Glad to hear that it works great for you!! Woot, woot to natural remedies.

For me, my depression was caused from low Vitamin D and Thyroid issues. Once I got on Vitamin D3 supplements and got the dosage right for the Armour Thyroid I felt like a whole new person.