How long to wait before you got rid of your "fat" clothes

Options

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I donated them as soon as they became too big. I have zero intention of gaining any of my weight back so buh-bye fat clothes!
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I up-cycle my fave things and take my work trousers and skirts in to fit, the rest I donate to charity as soon as they don't fit!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I figured if I could pull them down to my hips....they were getting to be WAY too loose. Basically, the "I look like that kid who can't keep his pants up" is the rule for donating them. I can't stand that sensation of pants only staying up by the belt. I don't want to go back so for me, the psychology of donating them, is pretty much my way of saying I have no choice but to stay on this path. I'm not a young duckling anymore (not a teen) and I'd like to be fit in the second half of my life as I've got tons of things to do like travel the world and I can't do that if I'm heavy - at least not for the stuff I want to do.

Monica
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been donating all my clothes as I lose weight. I do not want any execuses to be able to fit into my fat clothes again. Granted, it's been a bit sad when I am donating basically brand new clothes every couple of months, but I'm worth it (all those postitive affirmations)! I've only held onto 1 pair of fat jeans so I can have a before and after picture to mark my progress.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I got rid of my fat clothes a couple weeks ago... 11 months in or so. It felt good :)
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I put mine up on Craigslist as soon as I can fit into the next size smaller. I don't want them sitting around...I might think it's okay to slack on my eating or exercise because I have some pants to fall back onto!

eww, who buys used clothes on craigslist!

The same people who buy them on eBay.

I just recently got rid of my bigger sizes. Two big bags went to the Salvation Army and it felt so good!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I donated as soon as I put on them on and didn't feel like they flattered me in any way shape or form. I had a few things I really like but when you go from size 14 to a size 6 or 8 the alterations people just tell you could buy a whole new outfit for the cost of the alterations.

I am doing Project 333 and will do my best to keep my wardrobe down to just a few things I really love and fit well in. Just like my fitness plan, quality over quantity! I got one Austin Reed Suit new with tags on ebay for a tenth of what it would cost in a department store! Score!

I am not gaining the weight back. Someone is wearing the clothes I donated, especially my work clothes. I have a few hand me downs I love from friends who have lost weight. It's all good!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    By keeping them, you are planning for failure. Get rid of them and resolve that you will never again need them. By keeping them, you are removing a powerful incentive (especially as a frugal type) to keep the weight off... MONEY... If you have to buy clothes that you have thrown away before, you are less likely to be ok with going up a size or two. Even if you were ok with going back to size 14, if it is 3-4 years later, would you really want to wear something that will likely be out of style by then? My recommendation is to get rid of them as soon as you are clearly out of the size (unless you want to keep one just to remind yourself how far you have come. Best wishes for your continued success.
  • Flamencoflynnie
    Flamencoflynnie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Give them away as soon as they are too big for you. Burn your bridges. Do you have charity shops where you are? Donate them with love....... someone out there will be grateful for something you dont need any more. I made a huge mistake once thhough..... I gave some good quality clothes to my sisters sister inlaw... I only realised later that I came across as smug. I still cringe about that. Send your clothes out with love and gratitude. Or you could put them on a well known auction site.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    All my clothes are fat clothes. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • I loved chucking out my Size 16s. Very therapeutic.

I did it when I'd been a 12 again for about a month.
  • Flamencoflynnie
    Flamencoflynnie Posts: 61 Member
    Options

They won't always be. Make a plan for what to do with them when you don't need them anymore.
  • pink_and_twinkly
    pink_and_twinkly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Gone down from a UK 26 to 20 atm, and last weekend purged my wardrobe of everything size 24 and 26. (Currently still boxed up till i decided what to do with them)

I've always keep them before but i don't want bigger clothes in my wardrobe - it'll make it too easy to put the wieight back on. I don't have scales at home (through choice) so on my way downward i want tight waistbands to stop me if i go off track.

I'm planning on doing the same purge when in many months i get down to a UK 16.

I will keep one pair of size 26 jeans just for comparison tho as i haven't measured myself.
  • pink_and_twinkly
    pink_and_twinkly Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Me too - but they are 'less fat' clothes than the ones i was in three months ago.
  • charliedingus
    Options
    i thrift my clothes so i give back anything that no longer fits :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

They won't always be. Make a plan for what to do with them when you don't need them anymore.

I will always be fat, therefore my clothes will always be fat clothes.
    Are you suggesting I should go naked?
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Being naked is fun.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping mine because I want to be pregnant again. In fact, if I never get to wear them again, that will be sad.

Fingers crossed!

As for second hand clothes, a lot of mine are. When I reached my goal weight I bought loads of second hand jeans from different brands to find my favourite cut.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have the pair of "fat" jean I wore alll the time saved to remind myself of where I was but I donate everything else as soon as it's to big.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was a 26 and am now a 20/22...I got rid of everything bigger than 22.
    I was a 18/20 for a long time before i hit my BIG peak so i have a lot of clothes to fit into now...they were my "I sure do hope I can get back into those" clothes.

i have no intentions on going back...
    you did what I did. the clothes I can wear right now are almost 20 years old though, and guess what? they are back in style! lol I am donating EVERYTHING bigger than I am,
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I donate mine. The first time was to Goodwill and the last round went to my mom since she told me she had gotten bigger and I had a lot of cute stuff and thought she could get some use out of them while she is "waiting to start losing weight" :laugh:

I prefer to get rid of the clothes and not leave them hanging around as a back up to fall back into. To me if I have to go buy bigger clothes that will be a huge indication that I have gone a complete 360 from the direction I want to go and I refuse to go buy clothes in a bigger size. Kind of a way to keep me in check so I don't go back to my old habits.

When I started I was busting out of a size 18 and probably should have been in a 20, but refused and a size 1X shirt. I am now in a size 12 pants and medium shirt.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!