How long to wait before you got rid of your "fat" clothes

Options

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My opinion is:

It's a psychological thing - your mind-set needs to change. My suggestion is to get rid of them - you got rid of the fat, now get rid of everything else associated with that fat (not only the food, but the clothes, the life-style, the self-conciousness, etc.) Libertate yourself and your thoughts because you did it!! you are there and you are going to stay there....
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As soon as they don't fit.... out the door they go!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them. It took me about 6 months and 100 pounds before I was able to make myself do it. I remodeled my closet from top to bottom and refused to put my fat clothes back in there.
  • kenwhite0717
    kenwhite0717 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    6 to 8 months
  • abirdy
    abirdy Posts: 36
    Options
    I would like to telll you to get rid of them, if you keep them it's like you are waiting to get back in them. I got rid of my fat clothes as I got thinner because every time I lost weight and kept them I gained my weight back and had to put them back on.. I lost my weight this time and kept it off for a year now except ten pounds which I am trying to lose again..
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, well I am up to 75 lbs lost since January 2012. Lost 10 before I joined MFP. I still have a lot of my fat clothes and since most of the pants are elastic waists, I can still keep them up but they hang on me lol and dip where my big belly used to be. They will be going soon because I am NEVER going back there!
  • CindyBlakeGoble
    CindyBlakeGoble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pitch them and don't look back...Don't give yourself the option to fit back into them..I know when i can mine are out of here:wink:
  • CindyBlakeGoble
    CindyBlakeGoble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As soon as they don't fit.... out the door they go!
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    as soon as they don't fit any more and I buy replacements, the fat ones are out of the closet!! Nothing to fall back on, don't want to have to spend more $$$ on new fat clothes is my motivation.... or one of them.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    They are sold on craigslist our donated as soon as they don't fit. I won't be needing them again!
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weightloss success! I donate them...and when I fell off track & gained a few lbs, not having "comfy" clothes motivated me to get right back on track. I refuse to buy new bigger clothes again! Donate them to a womans shelter or organization helping women get back to work (if you want to feel like your not "wasting" your money.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really that fat. But, I still have all mine. I only just realized that I'm swimming in my clothes, and I went to buy some new clothes and was fitting into smaller sizes and I was very surprised. So, I'm still in denial. And, I keep my bigger clothes because I still don't believe it.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    From experience, I say -- Keep about 5-6 classics in like a size 12 that are versatile (jackets, etc.) and maybe too expensive to give away -- everything else GOES. Styles change, and you need space for your new, smaller clothes. You'll know when it's time, because those "fat" clothes just keep getting in the way, and taking up valuable space. I'd suggest only one small box saved with a few pieces that you LOVE.
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Donated as soon as they don't fit. I believe I made a commitment to a new lifestyle and it doesn't include being overweight. "fat clothes" are no longer needed!
  • bluered3038
    bluered3038 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am keeping mine right now, because times are hard and I can't afford to buy a bunch of new clothes. And I'm hoping to lose more after the holidays ( Hoping to hold my own through the holidays) I did order my a couple pair of jeans in misses sizes NOT women's sizes. Of course my bottom half is a lot smaller than my top. :) I think I will go browse at the Salvation Army store and see if I can find some things that arene't too expensive.
  • elfpearl
    elfpearl Posts: 191
    Options
    I did keep some of my favorite items just because I loved the way they looked on me even when I was a little bigger...now they are huge on me but I have this fear that I'm going to gain 5-10 pounds (at 5' tall that's a big difference in clothing sizes) and have to buy all new clothes...so they are in a big Rubbermaid container in the garage for now, buried under junk...hopefully that will make it harder to "fall back into" them lol.
  • mrkennethjay
    Options
    I'm a T shirt guy. I love graphic Tees. (Thank you TeeFury.com)

I went from wearing XXL to a L.
    My waist went from 38-40 down to 34-32.

I own maybe 3 pants now that are 34 and maybe 4 shirts that are large.

The rest of my wardbrode is fat clothes.

Back to this point of me being a T-Shirt guy. I own so many T shirts from shows i've seen and comics i love, they all hold memories. So i'm taking my graphic fat tees and making them into a quilt. The pants and other stuff are being donated ASAP.

It's so annoying to have all these old clothes i love and i can;t wear them because they look awful on me now. But i look forward to shopping now!
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My opinion is:

It's a psychological thing - your mind-set needs to change. My suggestion is to get rid of them - you got rid of the fat, now get rid of everything else associated with that fat (not only the food, but the clothes, the life-style, the self-conciousness, etc.) Libertate yourself and your thoughts because you did it!! you are there and you are going to stay there....

^^^^^SHES SOOOO RIGHT!!!!
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have one or two "reference" pieces, just as I kept one or two "reference" and sentimental pieces on the way up. A bunch of what I have "shrunk out of" I have given to friends, including one of my fitness pals who is a size behind me in her journey--just as my aunt who shrunk out of her clothes (some of them with the tags still on them) gave them to me.

My guideline for giving away is 2 sizes. When I hit 16s, I gave away the 20s. Now I'm almost well into 14s and can start looking at giving away the 18s. Since different brands and styles of clothes have different numbers even if they fit the same bodies, I'm not looking at the numbers so much as how they fit me now. If your clothes get too baggy, give them away. If they get too tight after they used to fit well, that's great inspiration for getting back on track.

Pay it forward and make room for clothes that reflect the new you!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This was a tipping point for me, and an important event in the lives of people who have lost significantly. I kept them thinking "Just in case" because I knew what had happened before. I've lost and gained a thousand times. My MFP experience is different.
    One day it occurred to me that my fat clothes were in the way, I'd NEVER need them again, and that was that. I would never be that size again. Ever. I recall that day as a joyous one. For the first time in my life, I was in control of the size of my body. That is saying something, I am 49 and have been overweight for all 49 years. The only times in my life I've been happy with my weight, it was fleeting, and I knew it at the time that it was not sustainable. I starved myself down to a size 8 a couple of times. But I was starving. I had resigned myself to the knowledge that to be a healthy weight, I'd have to starve myself.

This time it IS sustainable because I know it isnt' true that I have to starve myself. This time it is different; this time it was done right and sustainably. So au revoir, size 18 clothes. Goodbye forever.

I did save one pair of shorts, just to put on as a reminder of where I've been and how far I have come. So do you feel ready?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!