Older members?

Options
I'm brand new to mfp, and I see so many 20+ year olds posting. Don't they know they are beautiful at that age no matter WHAT size they are? I'm (slightly) over 50, is there anyone out there that can relate? LOL!

Replies

• barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm 55 and have been on MFP since August. Really enjoying the great community, support and inspiration provided by lots of great people here! Add me as a friend if you like.
  • ctmom1204
    Options
    Yes, I too, am new to MFP and I am 52 years old, although even on my best days I feel 72 :-). But I like to get dressed up and feel pretty and see my husband smile when he looks at me and that is one of my motivations for joining MFP. I look forward to losing the weight and looking and feeling a little younger.
  • LadySequin
    Options
    Thanks for making me feel welcome, I've added you both!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I'm 54 and have been on the site since mid-September.
    The site also has a 50+ thread at
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/809824-women-ages-50-for-december-2012
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    36 here but I love new friends too! Add me if you want!
  • LadySequin
    Options
    Great! Thank you for the info!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!!! It is Really Great to see you!
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and have been on MFP since mid June. Very close to losing 35 pounds and that is with arthritis preventing me from taking much exercise, so it CAN be done - you have to WANT it.

I want to lose 100lbs by my 60th birthday in 15 months time - any more than that will be a bonus!

1lb to 1½lbs a week may sound grindingly slow but it is far better and healthier than going mad and trying to lose lots in a short time. It also makes you pay attention in the longer term of everything you put in your mouth.

As I said, it can be done but you have to WANT it and be patient and work at it.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As said, there are loads of older members here, I am 69 but do have friends on here older than me. Add me if you wish
  • urbestlife32
    urbestlife32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also new to this site. Three days today. I am really liking the motivation to stay on track with the food diary and exercise. I am 51. Feel free to add me as a friend. And share how your losing the weight. Thank you.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My name is Kimberlee and I am 49. I think all those young people are so beautiful. I do understand about being older. It is harder to lose wt. because our metabolism is slower and then there's that dreaded menopause we're going through. Please feel free to add me.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Geri here - 53, 5'2" 72 pounds lost - at least 40 more to 1st gw. Add me if you would like...
  • Corby64
    Corby64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm close to 49 and looking to support others and to be supported
    Please add me if you wish - remembering of course that I am in australia and sometime I take a bit of time to reply due to the time differences
    Cheers
    Corby

Australia
  • LadySequin
    Options
    Love the santa hat!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome OP (=original poster!),
    There are a number of us golden oldies out here, would be delighted to add any of you as friends... just mention this thread when you send a request as my memory is not what it was (LOL!)
    I'm 71, have been on MFP 11 months now, and lost 48 lbs in the last 13 months, 36 of them on MFP. It is getting slower though, and to give myself a goal, have committed to going in for the Great South Run next October in Portsmouth, UK. And a 15 mile walk /run at the end of February. I've done WW in the past, but this site is great and fits in with my busy lifestyle - who says just because you are retired, you slow down!!! The information in the threads is great, and the support from the groups and my friends is second to none.
    So good luck on your journey... and hope to see you, and others on my friends list!
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hi there, about to turn 61, retired, and able to focus on getting fit !!
  • albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am too an oldi at 61 yrs but I hope you are never too old to get the dream of losing weight and getting healthy, have had this weight problem for over 40 yrs and never a day goes by without wanting the same thing. I now feel much for optimistic being on this wonderful site with what looks like a fantastic community of like minded people. I would welcome some hints and tips to keep me focused as only 12 days in so far 14 lb lighter but a long way to go. Sue in UK :)
  • gardendolly
    gardendolly Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 57, I've been doing this seriousy for a few months now. It does get harder to lose as I get older, but I'm making progress. Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • 6packb450
    Options
    Good morning. I am 47, wife's a 43. The best people on my FL are the older ones, and some of my 20 year olds. They all are the greatest people. Rarely do I friend anyone under 30, but I do give everyone a chance. I have been surprised. Age is not a gauge of maturity.

One thing that irked me the other day, a thread about being a kid in the 90s... and the examples the people were giving as "nostalgic". Didn't this stuff just happen yesterday? My post is on the very first page, and you should all get a giggle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/809134-you-know-you-grew-up-in-the-90s
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I will be 51 in February and joined in April of this year. I began losing before joining MFP but my total loss is 141 pounds. The support and friends here are great! Good luck to you!