Long hair - everyday a wash?

Replies

• rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    I will use dry shampoo on days I dont wash hair.Its a known fact that washing your hair every day isn't good.Not only it will dry ou your scalp it will in time take your shine away as you get older.I take very good care of my body and skin,I shower every day some times 2 times a day but will not wash hair every day,the days I dont wash hair I use first dry shampoo then I will put mouse in it then blow dry it ,comes out great.
  • How do you do that bun??? I have seen a girl at my gym who also does it and it is so awesome! Do you have to have thick hair to complete it?
    [/quote]

Sock bun?? http://hellogiggles.com/diy-sock-bun
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    I use dry shampoo. It works great!!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    I tend to wash everyday, and only rinse after I've done something like my wii fit + routine for 30 minutes, gone running etc.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I have waist length hair, and I only wash it about 2-3 times a week. It took a while for my hair to adjust, it was oily for the first week or 2 but now it's great! My hair is thick and wavy, so it would be a frizzy mess if I washed it daily.

I wear it in a high bun + a sweat band for working out and it never gets sweaty. Looks like this:

[img][/img]

Here's how my week looks for hair care:

Sun: Wash + keratin treatment on ends + dry and style
    Mon: Brush, shine gloss ...that's it (I use bumble and bumble product)
    Tues: I'll usually wear it up on the second day after washing + some dry shampoo on the roots
    Wed: Wash + air dry with some leave in conditioner

And repeat till Sunday when I have to style it again. Easy peasy.

I wear a cap in the shower to keep my hair dry. If it's been a particularly sweaty day, I wash around my hairline only (leaving the hair in a cap), and towel dry.

PS: you can use baby powder as dry shampoo. Just use it sparingly if you have dark hair.

How do you do that bun??? I have seen a girl at my gym who also does it and it is so awesome! Do you have to have thick hair to complete it?

It's a sock bun!! I learned on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd0knOk0QM8
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    My hair is fairly long and on days that I work out so hard that my face and along the hairline is dripping sweat.. I wash it. If its a work out where I'm just sweating a little I'll still shower after just keep my hair up and only rinse off along the hairline and I'll do a full wash the next day. If I were to wash every single day I'd have issues with dandruff. If you don't have that sort of issue I wouldn't worry about how often you wash. That's just my opinion though.
  • sndiane
    sndiane Posts: 83 Member
    I have grown my hair down to my butt several times. (I donate it) I have VERY healthy hair, and I wash it EVERY day. I don't see how some women can go days without washing it. EWWWW! I have some aunts that do it, but I can't. Personally, I think the health of your hair is based ALOT on the shampoo and conditioner you use. I do however, do things for the health of my hair, like, I very seldom use heat on my hair, blow drying, flat irons, etc. I also do a deep conditioning when my hair feels like it needs it. I don't sleep with it tied back, and I comb it out starting at the ends. A little trick too, prenatal vitamins. Your hair is shinier, your nails are stronger, plus the vitamins are great for you. I hope this helps.

There are a lot of women who don't wash their hair everyday because it would ruin our hair. It isn't EWWW for everyone.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I have grown my hair down to my butt several times. (I donate it) I have VERY healthy hair, and I wash it EVERY day. I don't see how some women can go days without washing it. EWWWW! I have some aunts that do it, but I can't. Personally, I think the health of your hair is based ALOT on the shampoo and conditioner you use. I do however, do things for the health of my hair, like, I very seldom use heat on my hair, blow drying, flat irons, etc. I also do a deep conditioning when my hair feels like it needs it. I don't sleep with it tied back, and I comb it out starting at the ends. A little trick too, prenatal vitamins. Your hair is shinier, your nails are stronger, plus the vitamins are great for you. I hope this helps.

There are a lot of women who don't wash their hair everyday because it would ruin our hair. It isn't EWWW for everyone.

Exactly! My hair would be a terrible shaggy, broken mess if I washed it every day. High end products should help you to wash less, not more.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    I have quite long hair, and I think washing it is a personal thing? I shower everyday...but hair can need a lot of treatment to keep it looking shiny & healthy. IMO, and maybe there is someone that works at a hair salon can back this up? washing your hair each day can strip it of its natural structure?

Try a dry shampoo for your scalp, tie your hair up whilst you work out.

If you can not run to buying a dry shampoo, run some talcum powder through your scalp.

You will not get long luscious locks washing your hair each day, unless you have products to counter the stripping of the shampoos....unless you use really expensive types of products.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    I have quite long hair, and I think washing it is a personal thing? I shower everyday...but hair can need a lot of treatment to keep it looking shiny & healthy. IMO, and maybe there is someone that works at a hair salon can back this up? washing your hair each day can strip it of its natural structure?

If you can not run to buying a dry shampoo, run some talcum powder through your scalp.

You will not get long luscious locks washing your hair each day, unless you have products to counter the stripping of the shampoos....unless you use really expensive types of products.
    Ive found some recipes for "dry shampoo" that you can make at home. I found this site a few months ago and thought her DIY stuff was really neat. http://petitelefant.com/how-to-dry-shampoo/
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Sweat is more damaging to your hair than washing it is! I tend to shower at night and my hair kinda styles itself in my sleep and then I touch up the ends with a curling iron. The beauty of having long hair! lol I alternate really bad shampoo with sulfate to cut thru the grease and sweat with sulfate-free shampoo (I like Malibu Wellness for Swimmer's Hair...it's great for well water with a lot of lime in it). I've noticed a huge difference in my hair since starting Shakeology and putting down the flat iron. Took a few months but now I don't have to style it within an inch of its life and fry it with a hair dryer anymore lol.

If you leave it sweaty it's gonna stink, it's very drying to the hair and don't be surprised if you break out!
  • If I just rinse, somehow my hair ends up MEGA greasy - worse than if I do nothing. Not sure what that's all about.

I have the same problem! If I don't plan on washing my hair I just don't even bother to get it wet because it turns grungy.

I have very wavy and thick hair that comes down to my lower back and I shampoo at least every other day. I use burt's bees shampoo; its sulfate free and doesn't dry my hair out the way other shampoos have; even biolage (sp?) dried my hair out if I didn't condition it. I make a hair oil that I leave in out of olive oil that has sprigs of rosemary, calendula, and lavender in it. A few drops goes a long way and I apply it mostly just to the ends of my hair. I don't use styling products and I rarely use a flat iron and I get a lot of compliments when I wear my hair down, so I am pleased!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    I wash my hair every morning, rinse it every night, except my rest day I sometimes don't wash
  • mangoos
    mangoos Posts: 24 Member
    If I just rinse, somehow my hair ends up MEGA greasy - worse than if I do nothing. Not sure what that's all about.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    i have very long hair and i dont wash it everyday i was it every second day i do use dry shampoo on the days my hair gets really sweaty and wet
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190

how long your hair grows doesnt matter weather you wash it every day or not. its not good to wash your hair everyday because you need to let your natural oils settle in your hair. unless you have very active sebaceous glands then you can wash it everyday. however long your hair grows is just dependent on how long your anagen phase lasts.

i personally dont wash it everyday. try using a dry shampoo see how you like that. but otherwise you do what you feel is right. everybodies hair is different so you need to do what you feel is right for ur hair
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    I workout daily, my hair is bra stap length (fine and straight), and I wash my hair twice a week. The first two days after a wash it stays down, the next day or so it goes up. It took a while to get it to the point that I could do this (I went through some serious greasy phases before my scalp adjusted it's oil production), but it was worth it. Saves SO much time in the morning. If I'm feeling something is needed between washes I use a little dry shampoo or give it a rinse. It doesn't smell, it doesn't look gross, and I don't have to fuss with it much.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    It's a sock bun!! I learned on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd0knOk0QM8

I LOVE this!! Thanks for posting!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member

I respectfully disagree. I've had long healthy hair my entire life and I've washed it every day, if not twice a day my whole life too. I use mostly Fructis shampoo and conditioner; about $6 for a big bottle at Target. On occasion over the years I have bought, and I do really like Kerastase shampoo, but it is insanely expensive. I've tried all manner of shampoos, but I just keep coming back to Fructis. It's the best for my hair, and it's inexpensive. double win.
  • I think a lot of it is what your scalp/hair is used to. I used to wash my hair everyday, I tried all sorts of diffrent shampoo/conditioners. My hair was always dry and frizzy no matter what. I was always trying to tame it. I thought it was just my hair type.

Then I had my back injury happen, then a pregnancy. I couldn't stand in the shower long enough to wash it everyday. I went to every other day. Then with the pregnancy, even with a shower seat, I could only do it every few days. I wasn't styling it anyways, it was in a ponytail. But after my pregnancy I went to blow dry it....my whole hair type was diffrent. My hair is so happy, strong, healthy. No frizz, no split ends. My sister in law who cuts my hair wanted to know what I changed. She agreed with me that, for my hair, it was best to only wash every few days. It's so nice! I now can style it only a couple times a week. Basically, while I couldn't wash it often, my scalp got used to it and stopped producing so much oil. Daily washing encourages it to produce more oil because it is stripped everyday. It takes some time for the scalp to adjust to a new routine. I can actually keep it down and styled unless when I am at the gym. With two kids under two thats a big deal to me!

I put if up when I go to the gym, a high ponytail. I tend to get more sweat on the lower back part of my head (and forehead of course) , so if I keep the pony tail high I don't get all wet under the base of it. As soon as I get home I take it down and put in dry shampoo (message that around), shower, and then brush it a lot. I try to let the back of my head get good air flow. I also have found I can't put it in a bun or it gets ucky because the bun comes down farther on my head. Oh and I just use the suave dry shampoo, I got it to just try and I wasn't going to spend a lot. I need to buy more soon and I think I will stick with it, it does the job fine fo me.