Giving up cheese

Options
I eat WAY too much of it and I need to just give it up because it's an ADDICTION and I have no self control AT ALL. Giving it up once and for all...starting tomorrow. Someone hold me accountable!

Replies

• diligentjosh
    Options
    Sorry bro....There are two things in life one must never give up. One is bacon, the other is cheese. So since I am fundamentally opposed to doing this (except for those salts Kraft slices), it would be hard for me to "hold you accountable," but to each his own, so I wish you luck with your new endeavor.

.....but life without cheese is, well....
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    noooooooooooo:cry: i understand your pain, but i kneel at the altar of Cheese!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Oh wait....you're not a bro...you're a lass.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, don't give up the foods you love, just try your best to exercise your will power a bit more. Get some cheese that is individually wrapped rather than letting yourself have free access to a whole block. Yesterday I bought a big bag of Baby Bell cheese, so I could have just one a day. Give it a shot!
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just get a food scale and quit at an ounce or two--you'd be surprised at how satisfying that can be!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yea, don't give it up, you will feel deprived, and it is a good tasty food. Like Tommygirl says, buy small serves prewrapped if you can't control yourself. Try different cheese - feta, ricotta, cottage cheese, low fat philly - use cheese as a seasoning ie a sprinkle of grated cheese - rather than a slab.

I am the same with butter - but now I weigh butter and have a little 3 gm knob with my breakfast, I get the taste but not a big slab of it! Good luck
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i gave up cheese for a few weeks, now tiny amounts taste soooo good. it's amazing how much better cheese tastes after you've been without it for a while :)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Spend a little and get some individually wrapped sticks/slices. Use one at a time! They are anywhere from 60 - 110 calories. I will even shred/cube one for eggs, salads, etc to make sure I don't use too much. After a while, it seems like a perfectly reasonable portion. Don't deprive yourself!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Oh wait....you're not a bro...you're a lass.

Dude, like you couldn't tell from her picture? Sheez...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    buy really good (usually means a bit expensive) cheese like cave aged gruyere and use it as a treat. It is so expensive for me I don't end up wolfing it down 3 ounces at a time like a basic cheddar

I can't imagine giving up cheese and don't like the approach of cutting out something that is both a good thing to eat and something I love

Trader Joe's has a good selection of different cheeses

learning some restraint and control is better for you in the long run rather than eliminating it entirely

on the other hand...just dont have any in the house and you can't lose control
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Not a problem here - there are very few French cheeses I like, and it's practically impossible to buy English cheese in this part of France. German, Dutch, Austrian, Italian - yes - but no English, so no cheddar and, for me, there is nothing like a well matured English cheddar.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers string cheese is really good, and only 50 calories per stick. Also, try the Laughing Cow cheese spreads. They are even less calories per wedge.
    Even good cheese in moderation is well worth the calories. I use a cheese planer to get very thin slices. Very satisfying!
    I have given up on portion size/amount of favorite foods, but have not cut them out totally of my consumption.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    LOL I feel the same way. I gave up brie and any yummy soft cheese - I LOVE those things! I still have cheese sticks and cottage cheese in the house because they are a great source of protein because for me its not nearly as addicting as the soft cheeses. Although last week I had a nice caprese salad for lunch, to treat myself, and boy was it nice to have some fresh mozzarella.
    So I can totally understand the need to purge the trigger items from the house, but do have a nice cheesy treat every now and then. :happy:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Giving up cheese will be one of the best dietary decisions you have ever made. It does NOTHING positive for you, but it's physically addictive, fattening, cancer promoting, and causes constipation. There is no reason to ever eat it.
  • wonderwomn27
    wonderwomn27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yeah i had given it up or least just ate way less of it... now i try and use 2% mozzarella on everything that imma add cheese on .... hope that helps... :) what i found is once you eat less of it, your body wont crave it as much... hope that helps :) good luck
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Giving up cheese will be one of the best dietary decisions you have ever made. It does NOTHING positive for you, but it's physically addictive, fattening, cancer promoting, and causes constipation. There is no reason to ever eat it.

nonsense.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Cheese is gross. Once you stop eating it, you'll realize how disgusting it is. It just adds zero value to anything. It's a horrible food product. Its just a big giant glob of fat. Why would you put into your body that which you are trying to get rid of?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

nonsense.
    Wow, what a very well articulated argument. Good point, i'll be sure to consider that.

Please don't allow yourself to believe the lie that cheese is good for you. If you want to eat cheese, eat all you want, but don't delude yourself into thinking it is good for human health.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Two words - Mini Babybel! :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

nonsense.
    Wow, what a very well articulated argument. Good point, i'll be sure to consider that.

Please don't allow yourself to believe the lie that cheese is good for you. If you want to eat cheese, eat all you want, but don't delude yourself into thinking it is good for human health.

it does not cause cancer

it is not physically addicting

ONLY a caloric surplus will make you fat...not cheese because it is cheese

it will not cause constipation if your diet is balanced with fiber

it has great protein and required fat

it tastes great

if not overly processed fake cheese, it IS a healthy food