Veggies and carbs - jaws dropped.

Options
123457»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not all vegetables are created equally. It also depends upon what the veggie is made of. The Atkins website has a list of veggies and their carb count. Carrots are on the no-no list.

Which is another reason to avoid Atkins.
    nothing wrong with atkins if done properly ;)

Anyone telling you to NOT eat vegetables needs their head examined, imo. Carrots are very healthy and nutrient dense.
    no one told her to NOT eat veg.

Apparently Atkins tells her not to. *shrugs*
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    That is really not alot of carbs
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    carrots are very high in sugar and therefore carbs. I am diabetic and they are off limits for me.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Just cut out bad carbs, white bread, white pasta white rice, sugar loaded foods pasrtries, cake etc, eat all your veggies and whole grains

there is ALWAYS room for cake.

As long as it's not carrot cake! So many carbs!

8/10 I lol'd
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I try to make sure I get ENOUGH carbs. There's nothing wrong with carbs. I lift/do some sort of strength training every day. I need my carbs.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    carrots are very high in sugar and therefore carbs. I am diabetic and they are off limits for me.

Carrots are actually just 5% carbohydrates by weight, much the same as many other vegetables. It seems to be the American cup system that distorts the truth, carrots being dense you get more in a cup than some other vegetables. All you need to do is moderate portions and consider eating them raw rather than cooked because the glycaemic index suggests they have a very gentle effect on the blood sugar.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Carrots are actually just 5% carbohydrates by weight, much the same as many other vegetables. It seems to be the American cup system that distorts the truth, carrots being dense you get more in a cup than some other vegetables. All you need to do is moderate portions and consider eating them raw rather than cooked because the glycaemic index suggests they have a very gentle effect on the blood sugar.
    uhh...i check my blood sugar several times each day for the last 20 years. 5 baby carrots have the same effect on me as 5 hershey kisses. My glucometer doesn't "distort the truth".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I know a lot of people who are diabetic (1 and 2) and nothing is off limits for any of them. They just have to pay attention to what they're eating and their blood sugar. All of them even eat things like ice cream, cake and candy in moderation.

You may CHOOSE not to eat carrots because maybe they aren't your favorite source of carbs, but I don't think they're "off limits."

Or based on your next post, perhaps you are more sensitive to carrots than others.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I know a lot of people who are diabetic (1 and 2) and nothing is off limits for any of them. They just have to pay attention to what they're eating and their blood sugar. All of them even eat things like ice cream, cake and candy in moderation.

You may CHOOSE not to eat carrots because maybe they aren't your favorite source of carbs, but I don't think they're "off limits."

Or based on your next post, perhaps you are more sensitive to carrots than others.

A lot of diabetic dietitians agree with this. They will say not to have more than ___x___ number of grams in a given time period and typically the limit is 120 grams a day.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Not all vegetables are created equally. It also depends upon what the veggie is made of. The Atkins website has a list of veggies and their carb count. Carrots are on the no-no list.

Anyone telling you to NOT eat vegetables needs their head examined, imo. Carrots are very healthy and nutrient dense.

there are plenty of veggies you can have on atkins.....*shrugs*
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    My mother is one of the people that have been told she needs her carbs, you know because of the insulin she's injecting. Not once was she advised her condition might be managed with a low carb diet -- it's absolutely criminal. Here's an old post, basically they advise to cut down on carbs because that's an improvement over what the fat, lazy diabetics were eating before and they couldn't possibly be told to severely restrict the carbohydrates their bodies can no longer tolerate. Infuriating.
    ADA says Low-Carb A-OK

"Back in April, I wrote that at this year's Nutrition and Metabolism Symposium we heard a talk from Dr. Elizabeth Mayer-Davis about the nutritional guidelines of the American Diabetes Association (ADA), during which she made it very clear that a low-carb diet falls within the guidelines for the ADA if it helps the individual achieve their goals, and the person is willing to follow it. This made me very curious, because I hear from so many diabetics that they have been actively discouraged from reducing carbs "too much" -- some have actually been told that it is better to take medication than to follow a low-carb diet. (Diabetics are usually told to begin with about 150-210 grams per day and adjust from there, which I would call a "moderate carb" approach.)

I have spoken both with Dr. Mayer-Davis and Stephanie Dunbar, the Director of Nutrition and Medical Affairs for the ADA, to try to clearly understand the guidelines and also why so many people are advised not to reduce carbs into the range that would be considered "low-carb". Check out what they had to say in "There is No ADA Diet".

Photo, "Cereal and Insulin for Breakfast" © villiers at IStockphoto"

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2012/08/05/ada-says-low-carb-a-ok.htm

The follow up article, There is No ADA Diet, is absolutely fascinating too with bits that are basically saying diabetics are such gluttons we can't possibly tell them to severely restrict their carb intake but decide to sugar coat it instead and hand out prescriptions. If I sound a little angry it's because my mother is diabetic and injecting insulin now after following these guidelines they say don't exist.

"Why isn't a low-carb approach suggested as the default diet to begin with? Dunbar says that for most people, the carbohydrate amount they suggest starting with (45-60 grams of total (not net) carbohydrate per meal) is a large reduction in carbohydrate for most people. "You can't underestimate the amount of carbohydrate people are already eating", she said, adding that the goal is to help people make gradual, sequential changes that they can stick to. (I think that there is merit in this approach for some people, but there are advantages to the opposite approach as well.)"

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/prediabetesanddiabetes/a/There-Is-No-ADA-Diet.htm
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Everything is either comprised of carbs, protein, or fat. Or a mix of the three. Since carrots obviously contain little protein and no fat than that means they have to be....carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

there are plenty of veggies you can have on atkins.....*shrugs*

But carrots are the best! :tongue: