My boyfriend is TOO SKINNY. Help!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Usually I make eggs and toast for breakfast with bacon sometimes, pack a lunch of about 800 calories, and we make dinner together that's a high protein dinner.

You pack him a lunch? Are you his girlfriend or mom? Just tell him to eat and put some junk food in the house.. I am sure next time he is sitting around he will eat the junk food, and gain some weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What can I do? Should I try to get him to go to the doctor? Is it that severe? He doesn't think it's a problem.

If he doesn't think it's a problem, and there are no health issues, it's not your job to push him to the doctor. Sure, offer some more calorie-dense foods if you're cooking, but you're kind of acting of controlling. Do you want him deciding what *your* weight should be?

dude. his BMI is unhealthy. If you're girlfriend/boyfriend had an eating disorder and was severly underweight you would let them risk their health? It's not a matter of her being controlling and not liking him physically; it's about how dangerous it is.

How do you suggest she force him to change? He's an adult

Just like DanaDark said, by withholding sex. :smokin:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    This is advice I've heard given to men who are actually TRYING to gain weight but are hard gainers. You can't just eat when you're hungry. You have to think of it in terms of "Could I eat?" And eat. Every time you're not full, eat.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    When I met my guy he was 5'10" and about 125 lbs.
    He was sent to the doctor's to rule out colitis (his mother suffered from it when she was young), but they found nothing wrong with him. Turns out he just thought he was fat so he was on a mustard sandwich diet, which was stupid.
    We moved in together and I fattened him up to 175 lbs :happy:
    Lots of lasagna. And peanut butter apples. And potato dishes.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Would not hurt to get his thyroid hormone levels checked, hyperthyroidism can cause you to have a very fast metabolism and it's definitely not a good thing to let be(I had mine treated, granted, mine was mild).
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Get trail mixes and pack him some heavy calorie snacks! I'd feed him high calorie breads like Cruissants for breakfast or french toast. You need to find ways to make his meals a little heavier in calories - larger portions of protein or items that are heavier in calories like corn or sour cream or potatoes. Basically, hunt for dense foods!

Monica
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    What can I do? Should I try to get him to go to the doctor? Is it that severe? He doesn't think it's a problem.

If he doesn't think it's a problem, and there are no health issues, it's not your job to push him to the doctor. Sure, offer some more calorie-dense foods if you're cooking, but you're kind of acting of controlling. Do you want him deciding what *your* weight should be?

dude. his BMI is unhealthy. If you're girlfriend/boyfriend had an eating disorder and was severly underweight you would let them risk their health? It's not a matter of her being controlling and not liking him physically; it's about how dangerous it is.

How do you suggest she force him to change? He's an adult

Just like DanaDark said, by withholding sex. :smokin:

That's a terrible idea for any situation.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Mine keeps dropping weight too. He's 6'2" and 143 - he's unintentionally lost 10 pounds in the last 6 months or so, and it's mostly been muscle because he hasn't been lifting. He's also vegetarian, and the amount of protein he's eating is far too small. I can't make him lift, but I can feed him - I dump protein powder in his food at every opportunity, and I encourage him to eat whatever he can with peanut butter on it. I make him dessert, too - anything just to get calories in his body. Once his weight stabilizes, I'll tackle the gym issue; one thing at a time!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If he's stressed that's the reason for his weight loss.. Just add extra fats and calories to the foods you prepare for him. An extra slice of cheese here, a cup of full fat yogurt there, it will add up and he will fatten back up! :)
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Mine keeps dropping weight too. He's 6'2" and 143 - he's unintentionally lost 10 pounds in the last 6 months or so, and it's mostly been muscle because he hasn't been lifting. He's also vegetarian, and the amount of protein he's eating is far too small. I can't make him lift, but I can feed him - I dump protein powder in his food at every opportunity, and I encourage him to eat whatever he can with peanut butter on it. I make him dessert, too - anything just to get calories in his body. Once his weight stabilizes, I'll tackle the gym issue; one thing at a time!

Losing 10 lbs in 6 months is nothing to worry about.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of these responses - to add detail to a few, no, thank you, I'm not his mom, but we live together and I pack myself a lunch and he warms up on his instrument for an hour and it just makes sense for me to pack his too. I'd do it for any roommate.

Also, I absolutely agree that I don't want to change him or try to make decisions for him. I'm trying to guage if it's a serious health issue, because if it is, I wouldn't be a very good person to let us both ignore it. I wouldn't want him deciding my weight, but I wouldn't want him letting me do something unhealthy, either.

I'm loving LOVING the plans of more trail mixes, more cheese, and higher fat dairy around the apartment. I've stocked everything up with denser, healthy foods that will hopefully give him easy things to grab and eat. I suspect that once the semester finishes up and he has more time, he will be eating more and having these foods around will make it easy.

Again, thanks everyone! More responses are always welcome, of course.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would encourage to him to discuss this with his doctor. A 22 yr old 5'10" male (who doesn't exercise) who weighs 122 lbs has a BMI of 17.5 (I understand that BMI numbers can be misleading for those of us who exercise, but given that he doesn't, the following applies).

According to an Actuarial analysis conducted a few years ago, a young, non smoking male with a BMI of 17-18 (which is grossly underweight), loses, on average, the same amount of years off of their life expectancy (when compared to a healthy BMI of 23-24) as if they had a BMI of 30! A 5' 10" non exercising male would have to weigh 209 lbs to have a BMI of 30.

Which means, it is just as unhealthy to be grossly underweight as it is to be moderately overweight (I'm not getting into a discussion regarding overweight categories) in terms of the number of years lost in life expectancy (when compared to a male who has a healthy BMI of 23-24). Ask him if he would do something about his health if he weighed 209 lbs. If so, tell him that he is losing, on average, the same number of years at 122 lbs as if he was 209 lbs. (When compared to a BMI of 23-24 or a weight of 160-167 lbs)