yourlighterside.com/easy-pizza-crust/
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    double post!
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Home made, thin, and with just the basic ingredients: tomato, basil, mozzarella and a bit of olive oil.
    This is how real pizza is meant to be, by the way...

Cheers from Italy :)
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    One of my passions - I think Pizza gets a bad rap. However, I think like anything else there is "good pizza" and there is "bad pizza" (taste wise there is no bad pizza - ha). There is also a "good way to eat pizza" and a "bad way to eat pizza".

Pizza is essentially bread (carbs) Sauce (if good sauce, no different from tomatos) and cheese (protein/calcium).

These can all be part of a healthy regimen if eaten smartly and in moderation.

For me - I immediately rule chain pizza and frozen pizza as garbage. Why? Because I think it uses highly processed lower quality ingredients than homemade or pizza from a good local pizza shop. So I go to my local guy who speaks broken english, uses good quality "stuff" and makes it in front of me. My goal for 2013 is to make my own.

As far as eating, I eat pizza "smartly". I order a pie maybe once per month. I don't get any sort of over-the-top crap put on it. No pepperoni, no sausage, no meat-lovers crap, no extra cheese etc. I get a simple well done pie with mushrooms - period. I eat two slices with a healthy salad and I freeze the remaining slices - there's the solution to buying crappy, boxed frozen pizza.

It's fits my macros, satisfies my incredible joy of eating it and I do not plan to give it up - works for me and I think it can work for anyone else who loves pizza and does not want a big gut...

My 2 cents
  • sowill
    sowill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Make one with a fajita base, or if not only cook half and have it with salad
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My echoed suggestion: Homemade -- which, by the by, doesn't have to translate as "inconvenient" if you plan ahead. The more you can control the nutritional content of your food, the better.

My homemade sausage & pepperoni pizza is 250 cal./slice (8 slices/16" pie), made with 2/3 lb. from-scratch dough, 1/2 c. from-scratch sauce, 1 c. low-moisture/part-skim mozzarella, 1/2 c. pork sausage, and exactly 14 slices Hormel pepperoni. Not too shabby considering it's not thin-crust; and according to my husband, it stomps any competition. Add a 159 cal. slice of my homemade dessert pizza (8 slices/8" pie) and you've consumed a hair over 400 cal. Again, not bad for an occasional treat.

The key to pizza is moderation -- a side salad helps. :)
  • hlp423
    hlp423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with the homemade option although mine is Semi-homemade. I grab one of those whole wheat crusts. We eat it with a huge salad . BUT, if you are just craving take out pizza, eat it and move on.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza all the time. Eating thin crust (which I prefer anyway) will cut a decent amount of calories. I think it's good to add things such as peppers and veggies rather than just doing meat lovers, which is not good quality meat anyway, usually. It's also a good idea to make it yourself at home.
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yup... Don't eat Domino's yuck.. Try a local place, or papa john's :)
    Lot's of veggies (no meats except maybe ham)
    My fav mix is pineapple, jalapeno, and diced tomato's
    don't eat the whole pizza by yourself! Maybe 2-3 slices and a salad
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Make your own. You have control over portions of ingredients AND you can make whatever toppings combos you want.
  • Momma1213
    Options
    Pappa Murphy's Large Herb Chicken Mediterranean deLITE. Super thin crust, spinach, feta, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and herb chicken. One slice ( 1/10th of a pizza) is 180 cals. The rest is found here:
    http://www.papamurphys.com/pdf/Nutrition_Info.pdf
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat thick crust at least once a week, and it fits my calories and macros just fine. Most of my dinners are around 800-1200 calories anyway, so what's the BFD if it's pizza or something else?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat thick crust at least once a week, and it fits my calories and macros just fine. Most of my dinners are around 800-1200 calories anyway, so what's the BFD if it's pizza or something else?
    If I could keep my pizza intake to 800-1,200 calories a pop, I would eat it more often. I can't control myself with it, so it's an occasional treat for me.

I miss the days I could eat all the pizza and wings I could handle and not worry about my weight. :-(
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Me too. With ranch dressing. Mmmm.......

I also like Newman's Own Thin&Crispy frozen pizzas. A whole pizza will set you back around 900 cals.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I ask them to put half the cheese on mine.

Blasphemy!
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs and we eat pizza at least once a week. Yea Im sure there are healthier options... but I want the greasy fattening awesomeness -- I think the key is to not over induldge and to only do it on occassion!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    youre allowed to eat :)
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I get thin crust pizza that I bake at home. I also generally stick with only one meat plus veggies.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I ask them to put half the cheese on mine.

Blasphemy!

Better than cauliflower crust....
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My local Pita place does a pita pizza so I have started to do this at home..

I love the Hawaiian pizza

1 pita
    tomato sauce. ( I use BBQ sauce as I am not a tomato sauce lover)
    ham
    bacon pieces
    pineapple
    cheese

Bake it in the toaster oven or oven..

It's less then 500 calories for the whole thing as opposed to about 500 calories per slice.. I actually prefer this to a pizza slice..

You can use anything you like, with veggies, meat, you name it..