Show me ur heavy lifting results please!

Options

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    5x5 you need a squat rack. Look up the madcow spreadsheet. Enter your starting weight and it does everything for you.

Thanks, although there is no way that I can afford to either buy a squat rack or join a gym which has one (my finances are stretched as it is and the only gym that is likely to have one that is near to either work or home is $100 a month).

So many amazing pictures on this thread! My husband's been freaking about my decision to start lifting heavy things and putting them back down because he's worried I'll get too hard, but these have shown him that doesn't need to be the case.

I'm starting 5x5 on Monday but my gym has free-weights and a bench but no rack. Is that going to totally screw me?

A rack is a must for stronglifts !!!

Not a particularly helpful reply, to be honest. There is no way in the near future that I can get a squat rack. Are there any alternative programmes which don't require one?
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    5x5 you need a squat rack. Look up the madcow spreadsheet. Enter your starting weight and it does everything for you.

Thanks, although there is no way that I can afford to either buy a squat rack or join a gym which has one (my finances are stretched as it is and the only gym that is likely to have one that is near to either work or home is $100 a month).

So many amazing pictures on this thread! My husband's been freaking about my decision to start lifting heavy things and putting them back down because he's worried I'll get too hard, but these have shown him that doesn't need to be the case.

I'm starting 5x5 on Monday but my gym has free-weights and a bench but no rack. Is that going to totally screw me?

Not a particularly helpful reply, to be honest. There is no way in the near future that I can get a squat rack. Are there any alternative programmes which don't require one?

SS, Do you know what the heaviest weight your gym has? I'm lifting heavy at home with two adjustable dumbells so i can add or take away plates as needed and it's working out great. My husband devised a plan using dumbell exercises that work each group so m getting a full body workout. Also remember you can use your own body weight to 'lift heavy' push ups and pull ups are great for arms and lunges for legs, I lunge whilst holding my dumbells at my side on the heavies weight for extra resistance :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I did my 5x5 workout at home on Christmas day getting two housemates to help lift the bar (when full weight) on to my shoulders.
    Planning to make my own squat rack which I can store at work (self employed) - probably out of sturdy wood as not on massive numbers at the moment and have some lying about, but no power at the storage unit.
  • SpecialSundae
    Options

SS, Do you know what the heaviest weight your gym has? I'm lifting heavy at home with two adjustable dumbells so i can add or take away plates as needed and it's working out great. My husband devised a plan using dumbell exercises that work each group so m getting a full body workout. Also remember you can use your own body weight to 'lift heavy' push ups and pull ups are great for arms and lunges for legs, I lunge whilst holding my dumbells at my side on the heavies weight for extra resistance :)

I don't know off the top of my head (it is an office gym but fairly well equipped other than the lack of squat rack) but they have a range of dumbbells which, from memory, look something like this. I hadn't examined them closely, though. I'm not sure about the barbell weights either.

DB5-30.jpg

I have to confess I felt really disheartened to wake up this morning to the two responses I'd had. If I get a bit further down the road then I could potentially ask my gym to buy in a power/squat rack (it's a NFP gym so they happily buy in equipment if it'll be used and there's money to pay for it) but I can't from day one.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thread rolled weeee
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    if you have dumbbells and just want something to do, to tide you over til you can either get into a gym or get your own rack, there is a modified dumbbell version of strong lifts......
    http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=4280

you could just do this in the mean time. but you'd have to get HEAVY dumbbells. and they are NOT cheap....... the cost could end up worse than a gym membership because the idea is you move UP in weight quite quickly.

• SpecialSundae
    Options
    if you have dumbbells and just want something to do, to tide you over til you can either get into a gym or get your own rack, there is a modified dumbbell version of strong lifts......
    http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=4280

you could just do this in the mean time. but you'd have to get HEAVY dumbbells. and they are NOT cheap....... the cost could end up worse than a gym membership because the idea is you move UP in weight quite quickly.

Thank you! That's really helpful. :-) My gym has some intensive looking dumbbells so I suspect it would take me a while to get to the biggest/heaviest ones.

I think they'd probably buy a rack if there was proof that it would be used but I think the weights are massively underused at the moment. They're constantly putting money into upgrading what there is but only when there's proof that it will be used, so I'd probably have to wait 'til the AGM and get a few more people interested in it.

There's a weight-training group at the other building but it's an hour's round trip and at really inconvenient times and I don't know if even they have a rack.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    <<<<<profile pic:)
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    31170282_1973.jpg
    9 weeks later-
    31170282_9190.jpg

Great results sir.

How nice definition! Great job!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I don't know off the top of my head (it is an office gym but fairly well equipped other than the lack of squat rack) but they have a range of dumbbells which, from memory, look something like this. I hadn't examined them closely, though. I'm not sure about the barbell weights either.

DB5-30.jpg

I have to confess I felt really disheartened to wake up this morning to the two responses I'd had. If I get a bit further down the road then I could potentially ask my gym to buy in a power/squat rack (it's a NFP gym so they happily buy in equipment if it'll be used and there's money to pay for it) but I can't from day one.

Don't feel too bad, I'm still at the lugging my own body around stage and trying to plan for initial home work stages with dumbbells. There are relatively inexpensive dumbbell sets on classifieds all around me that I think I can swing cost wise.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Most amazing thread ever. You all are such an inspiration. Thank you!!!
  • caligulala
    caligulala Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump. love this stuff!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I did stronglifts doing barbell hack squats like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

The biggest problem was on the days with deadlifts and squats, because my grip would give out before my muscles would.

I'm sure having a squat rack would be awesome. For one, I wouldn't have to clean the bar to do overhead presses. But I'm very happy with my results without a rack, and don't have the money or room for one at this time anyway.
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Bump...just about to restart NROLFW
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    fantastic results...inspiring :)
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wow, great results... esp for only 9 weeks.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Results:

Squat 465lbs
    Deadlift 535lbs
    Bench 365lbs
    Clean and jerk 315lbs
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    <<~~~~
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!