"Best" protein supplement?

Options
124»

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like GNC 100% whey isolate in chocolate...cheap ish but quite nice tasting. I love maxitone chocolate but it's twice the price for half the amount..a no brainer really.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Oh, that makes a lot more sense!

So HP is about 1, MP is 0.6, and LP is 0.39 g/lb (correct me if I'm wrong-math ain't my strong point). No wonder low protein resulted in an accommodated state! And it still says that MP and HP had no difference in whole body protein synthesis, if I am reading it correctly. I don't see how this contradicts anything that I've said about 1g/lb not being necessary.

LOL well that is an easy one.. Even though this study supports greater protein intake for strength athletes between .63-1.09 per lb converted, it still has many flaws like I stated above such as the age of the people studied, calorie intake, height, weight, etc. So who's to say a really big muscular guys can or cannot synthesis more protein than some one smaller or fatter or one who eat more or less calories per day.. etc. etc..They might require more protein the the "MP" as this study was not thorough.

Well, no study is going to perfectly match the American population. I would call the "flaws" limitations that don't negate the results, but provide further support the rest of the studies, which, together, have a definite trend. And I'm sure people are different levels of protein synthesis depending on their body composition, but that doesn't mean they have to go out and buy protein supplements or eat insane amounts of protein packed food. These guys were strength athletes and didn't have to do that.

Well then you cannot say then for a fact that eating 1g of protein per lb is a myth as a 6'4 250lb guy might absorb more protein than a 5'5 180lb strength athlete. Also they never stated what the strength althetes ate for protein for all we know it may have been nothing but protein supplement shakes.. :drinker:

They did say what the strength athletes ate in the study-it's in the second section. And based on scientific method, everything is only theory. You can't prove anything right, you can only prove it wrong. However, if everything points in a certain direction, it's a good chance that there's some truth to it.

I would still like to see a study in which 1g/lb is considered optimal. Rather than having these studies discredited because of limitations common to all studies.

1g/lb is more of a guide line for those that strength train because we do know that its not bad to have more of a protein intake than it is to have a lower one as that can negatively hinder those that strength train. Also since every one is different I don't think you will find a study in the universe saying that 1g/lb is "considered optimal" for every one... You your self even said it "And I'm sure people are different levels of protein synthesis depending on their body composition"....

Well good luck to you..
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I just drink the stuff after a workout..all this sciencey stuff goes over my little blonde head:laugh:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey is what I've been using, mixes well and tastes good for a good price.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

That is all.

ON is the best bang for your buck.