Embarrassed to get fit?

Options
12346»

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have a 4-mile route that I've mapped out in my neighborhood. It included one lap of the neighborhood park track. One day while on the park track I noticed someone had written in big white chalk letters on the pavement "Exercising again? You rock". I thought that was so cool. I'm sure it wasn't meant for me personally, but I still found it motivating.

Edited to add pic:

27445807_1143.jpg

I have considered doing that myself. :happy:

How I LOVE this!!

Next walk in the neighborhood, I am taking my chalk with me to encourage fellow fitness fanatics!!! YAY!!!
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't told any of my friends that I'm trying to lose weight. Even though I know my best friend would be insanely supportive but still. I'll tell them when they'll start to notice it ;)
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I don't live in a small town but I'm "embarass" to work out at the gym, in front of those who don't even know me including the ones I do, because in my mind they are "laughing". Don't know why I feel that way other than "self conscience", but it is what it is. Right now my preference is either 'walking' (which is an every day thing) or working out in the privacy of my own home. I'm hoping I won't feel this way after I drop another 60 lbs???
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I waited until I was sure that I could stick to this before I ever told anyone. And I still do all my exercise at home, or go for walks while at work. I haven't set foot in a gym since I was 19.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    I completely understand and used to feel the same way! I live in a rural community and when I first started out walking, attempting to jog, going to the track and then eventually the gym I was so self-conscious and even tried to go super early in the morning in the hopes no one would be there. But then I thought...everybody has to start somewhere and I can't be concerned about these people, I'm in here for me, no more excuses...and for me that worked, now I could give two s***s who's looking at me or who else is working out because we're all moving for the same reason, to get fit and stay healthy! First they'll ask you why you're doing it, then they'll ask you how you did it! Do whatever feels comfortable for you, but by all means, do something! You got this!:smile:
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand where you are coming from. We have 1100 people in my town, and for the longest I didn't wanna walk, much less run, in front of anyone at the track. I finally decided if they didn't like to look, then they should just turn there head. It's much easier now. Chin up and do it. You need to do it for you and to be happy!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started this journey living in a town of 1200, now I live in a town of 3500 and in both places I was the pastor of the First Baptist Church...so everyone was all up in my grill at some point or another! It didn't bother me one bit, in fact I hoped that I would be able encourage others to do the same as well.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    I can totally relate! And then I read this....someone posted it on MFP a while back...and I cried...lol. But seriously I have learned how people truly think. And I am no longer the fat girl! :)

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

TOO AWESOME!! I love it :)

That was seriously cool!:smile:
  • akirgan
    akirgan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to that feeling. It is like I feel they didn't know I was fat until they saw me working out and then they are like oh my she is fat. lol really I think it has to do with our own self esteem and confidence. I know that at my heaviest it's hard for me to get the courage to go anywhere because its so hard to deal with the whispers points and laughs but you can't stop living your life bc ppl are judging you. People will judge you if your fat or skinny it is a part of human nature all you can do is focus on what you want and need to live the life you deserve. So even though it may feel uncomfortable walk with your head high and a smile on your face be content with who you are now, and know you are worth being happy best luck and if you ever just want to chat I am here for you!!!!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I feel this way a lot. I almost kind of hide it. The reason is that people think I'm crazy when I tell them I workout 5 or 6 days a week. The last time I saw one of my friends, he seemed to insinuate that that's all I do, it's my whole life. And, I was like, 45 minutes a day is NOT my whole life. Duh! He didn't know how to react and there was a weird uncomfortable silence. But, yes, I feel weird because poeple think you're a nut or something. I'm not at all, it's just soemthing I enjoy doing. And, I think it's shows and I get results, and I don't know if it's jealousy or what, but it sucks. I wish people could just have the more healthy attitude and say, "Man, I sure wish I could find that motivation. good for you." Rather than the subtle ridicule I get from most people.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS think "how awesome!" when I see someone exercising. and ESPECIALLY when I see someone larger getting active. I admire anyone trying to get moving and find them all to be inspirations.

I try to remember this when I feel like the silly *fat* girl in the weight section. I try to operate based on the assumption others think like me and those who don't can p!ss off.

get out there and move and screw the ones who may or may not *approve*. and who knows who you may inspire!
  • emsfire839
    emsfire839 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I hate working out at a gym because I feel like a huge blimp next to all the cute little girls around me. I am even too self conscious to work out around my family. Love my mom to death, but she is one that thinks that negative comments work as motivation (they don't!). I've learned to workout with cardio tapes and weights at home, then go to my parents to use their treadmill while they're at work. Maybe someday when I can fit into some cute workout clothes and not my sweats, I'll venture out into public. Until then, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have a 4-mile route that I've mapped out in my neighborhood. It included one lap of the neighborhood park track. One day while on the park track I noticed someone had written in big white chalk letters on the pavement "Exercising again? You rock". I thought that was so cool. I'm sure it wasn't meant for me personally, but I still found it motivating.

Edited to add pic:

27445807_1143.jpg

How I LOVE this!!

Next walk in the neighborhood, I am taking my chalk with me to encourage fellow fitness fanatics!!! YAY!!!

I think I just might do that too. :happy:
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't live in a small town. But I do feel you there...Since I've put on some weight I don't like going to the gym as much; I still go but I feel a little less at ease.
    I feel like everything is rolling and sticking out. My husband has to keep reminding me everyone there is trying to get fit so don't worry about it. (Easy for him to say....he's like 9% body fat.)
  • daniel7121
    daniel7121 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't live in a small town but I'm "embarass" to work out at the gym, in front of those who don't even know me including the ones I do, because in my mind they are "laughing". Don't know why I feel that way other than "self conscience", but it is what it is. Right now my preference is either 'walking' (which is an every day thing) or working out in the privacy of my own home. I'm hoping I won't feel this way after I drop another 60 lbs???

That's exactly how I've felt. Hopefully we can keep ourselves motivated!! Good Luck!! :)
  • daniel7121
    daniel7121 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't live in a small town. But I do feel you there...Since I've put on some weight I don't like going to the gym as much; I still go but I feel a little less at ease.
    I feel like everything is rolling and sticking out. My husband has to keep reminding me everyone there is trying to get fit so don't worry about it. (Easy for him to say....he's like 9% body fat.)

9%?! Holy Moley! Haha I can see why it would be easier for him to say.. I really don't like public gyms. They're expensive for one and a lot of the time, those in there are already at a good level of fitness. But, I shall trudge on! We can overcome!! :)