Help! Need some good tips for kicking the soda habit

Options
12346»

Replies

• Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to drink mt. dew and sprite constantly, then I switched to coke zero, and for some reason only drank one a day. I got tired of it so, I went through other diet sodas to find one that did not have that artificial flavor to it.

Now I drink diet cherry 7up it is all natural, and it does not have that artificial taste, and I still only drink it once a day.

You need to just make up your mind, either find a diet soda you like, or just quite.
  • jessicamcguire_
    Options
    Greenrun, I know you think you're doing good by suggesting diet, but "diet" anything often replaces sugar with harmful chemicals, such as asparthame which come with a plethora of undesirable, long-term side effects (alzheimer's being one of them). An interesting thing to note is that sweeteners companies have a tough time getting insured for the very fact that they have so many lawsuits against them for this very reason.

Now going back to the question. I would not, by any means suggest any soda sweetened by anything unnatural. There is a a sweetener called stevia, which is as natural as you can get and doesn't have the same insulin effect as the other sugars.

The best suggestion I would have, however, is to switch your existing habit with another, healthier one. Instead of reaching for a coke, why not have a juice and add sparkling water to it to give you the "fizzy sensation"? And from there, you can reduce the amount of juice until you are down to the sparkling water with some lemon or lime, adding some stevia for sweetness' sake.

Another suggestion I have is to supplement your habit with either coconut water, or coconut milk. They are to die for! MMMMMMM

:)

Jess
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Greenrun, I know you think you're doing good by suggesting diet, but "diet" anything often replaces sugar with harmful chemicals, such as asparthame which come with a plethora of undesirable, long-term side effects (alzheimer's being one of them). An interesting thing to note is that sweeteners companies have a tough time getting insured for the very fact that they have so many lawsuits against them for this very reason.

Now going back to the question. I would not, by any means suggest any soda sweetened by anything unnatural. There is a a sweetener called stevia, which is as natural as you can get and doesn't have the same insulin effect as the other sugars.

The best suggestion I would have, however, is to switch your existing habit with another, healthier one. Instead of reaching for a coke, why not have a juice and add sparkling water to it to give you the "fizzy sensation"? And from there, you can reduce the amount of juice until you are down to the sparkling water with some lemon or lime, adding some stevia for sweetness' sake.

Another suggestion I have is to supplement your habit with either coconut water, or coconut milk. They are to die for! MMMMMMM

:)

Jess

Where do you get this stuff? There is NO proven science behind what you suggest. NONE.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I agree with not buying soda (same thing with junk food). I carry a mug of iced tea or water everywhere I go. I like to add stevia to tea, but most of my family members drink unsweetened tea. Even if you add real sugar, you can use a lot less sugar than sodas contain. Filtered water or tea brewed at home is cheaper than sodas, too.
  • Wishing_4_Wings
    Wishing_4_Wings Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find that if I dont have it right next to me, I can make it last, try taking a few sips of a can rather than bottle and putting it in the fridge, if its not right beside you, you wont be drinking it quickly, and 'suddenly realize your out' and try to drink it early of the morning, I've heard it helps to have it earlier than later, I know what you mean by the diet deal, I can't stand them either. But yea, save yourself some cash and 'forget' to buy you a bottle or pack if the fridge thing dont work. :smile:
  • Glassblaster
    Options
    I quit by using Walmart's Clear American Water. I prefer the raspberry flavor. :flowerforyou: It has the carbonation which is something I craved.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm kicking my habit as well. Complete diet coke/diet dr. pepper addict here :(

But...I am also a tea addict. The caffeine in soda is not really what I was craving more so just the bubbly aspect.

I drink a lot of tea, flavored waters, and the occasional sparkling water (when I say occasional I mean maybe once a month or so)