Irritation: Clueless people who need to add their 2 cents

Options
I've been at maintenance since mid-August. My weight fluctuates a bit, but, as I still track and still work out, it's staying int he range I'm comfortable with. The folks out there that don't have a clue that feel the need to tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing irritate the crap out of me.

Irritation 1: The people telling me I don't need to lose anymore. This one isn't as bad as the others, at least to me. I'm not TRYING to lose anymore, but I'm also not trying to GAIN either. So, unless you're my doctor, guess what? You probably aren't qualified and shouldn't be involved. I doubt you would want ME to tell YOU that you could stand to lose a few pounds or that some exercise would do you a world of good.

Irritation 2: The people who are bothered by the fact that I still basically track everything that goes in my mouth, with a few exceptions. (The exceptions being when I can't find anything in the database or online that's comparable to what I'm eating/have eaten. In those instances, I generally just figure I'm over for the day, and since I'm in maintenance, it's not a big deal.) They generally make it sound as though they feel I'm being obsessive. To each their own. Honestly, I continue to track so that I know how MUCH I've gone over when I go over, but I also track to ensure that I'm getting enough protein and fiber. It's not your business, honestly, and I'm not asking YOU to track what YOU eat, so why do you care if *I* track what *I* eat? It's not as if my tracking is affecting you.

Irritation 3: I've been seriously considering getting into heavy lifting. I really don't have space in my apartment for a weight bench and such (unless I get rid of the kitchen/dining room table), so I've not started yet. I guess, because I've read so much here, I know I won't get bulky, but apparently there are many uneducated/undereducated people out there. I actually TRIED to give the correct info to a guy friend of mine who I write to, when his response was "You'll get bulky like a man." Sigh... Even with pictures of some lovely ladies here on MFP and lots of good information, he still thinks they aren't actually lifting heavy. His response was that they're lifting "relatively" heavy weight for high reps and doing a lot of cross training when I had all ready told him what they were doing... So... Apparently deciding they couldn't possibly be "lifting heavy" for a smaller number of reps to muscle failure isn't possible because anyone who lifts heavy can wind up with a bodybuilder's physique. SMH... This one just annoys me mainly because it shows me that some people, regardless of the information, are going to continue to be blind to what is right in front of them.

So, anyway... I just needed to vent. K, thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Overall this was a decent rant.

Your friend is absolutely clueless and you can show him this post if you'd like.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Gotta rant sometimes! He he.

And yeah, it is irritating when very poorly informed people try to tell you what you should be doing. =/
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I love a good rant!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    A rant I can get behind!
    finally!

LIFT
    SMASH all the things!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Do what you need to do for you, in regards to 1 and 2. In regards to 3, lift heavy, low reps. Look up Stronglifts 5 x 5, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Good info. There are groups on MFP for all three I believe. Surround yourself with strong, positive people, feed off them and run with it. Congrats on your success.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    A rant I can get behind!
    finally!

LIFT
    SMASH all the things!

Can I get behind you? :flowerforyou:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    The next time someone complains about your tracking, do this:

tumblr_llz63n76nU1qii6tmo1_400.gif

That's what I do at least :wink: People might think you're nuts, but they won't comment on it again.

Don't sweat the people telling you this nonsense. As long as you're healthy and happy with yourself, that's what matters the most. I also think having fitness goals beyond your goal weight/size is the mark of someone who really is going to stick with this for life and not just say, "oh, I lost my weight, I'm done now." Go forth and conquer!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A rant I can get behind!
    finally!

LIFT
    SMASH all the things!

Get in line.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    For rant number 3 I just small and node.....than I spend my frustration benching 2 x 30 pounds dumbbells.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Can I add 3 cents?
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    A rant I can get behind!
    finally!

LIFT
    SMASH all the things!

25404560.jpg
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This might be the only rant that the majority of the MFP population can get behind.

Keep doing what you're doing, they'll realize that its helping you be happy and if they don't like it, well, too darn bad.

Oh yeah, AND LIFT! You'll never regret it!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Stop talking to people about what you're doing. Problem solved.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think this is the first rant that I don't feel the need to rant about. Luckily you know that your friend doesn't have a clue. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Well, with the exception of #3, the other two are not due to me saying anything. They are unsolicited comments.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Well, with the exception of #3, the other two are not due to me saying anything. They are unsolicited comments.

how do people know you're tracking if you don't say anything?
  • I know where you're coming from but, remember that you are posting your business out here and people will have different opinions on what you post. This happens even if they don't have a clue, and often, these opinions are based on that person's knowledge of the subject. Therefore, if you don't want people to say anything about what you're doing, simply remove yourself from this site.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

how do people know you're tracking if you don't say anything?
    #1 doesn't have to do with tracking, obviously. But for 2, it's been when I've used the app on my phone and they've seen me tracking. So, basically, just butting in and commenting on what I'm doing when I never asked.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    GoGranny.gif

I just loved this rant !

Do what you need to do ....... ignore/delete people who are bugging you ...... they're probably just jealous anyway LOL