Do you feel skinny even with the extra skin?

Options

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my body is different or I just lose it at an extraordinarily slow rate and that helps but I started exercising to windsor pilates with my first 4 children and I started getting tighter and stronger the light I got. I never reached goal because I got pregnant with the Twins but I had little to no tummy. I also used lotion on my tummy and problem areas daily. Now that I restarted my weightloss journey for the last time with Child number 5, I am wondering if my skin will go back, I haven't lost enough weight to be able to tell but lifting weights is helping with the flab under my arms, situps and pushups are helping with everything else. In the end, I may need surgery after carrying 5 kids all 9.5 pounds and over but I have seen what 2 yrs of hard work does to my tummy, don't give up, skin is amazing and someday it will tighten, do something that works for you and keep at it.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have quite the tummy flap and it hangs really low. As I lose weight it sticks out less but still hangs just as low. In clothes, like many have said, I feel fine. But I still find my eyes constantly drawn to my mid section. I also hate the way it feels when I am exercising, flapping against my thighs. It doesn't matter that others tel me it is no big deal, it bothers me. Does it make me regret losing weight, heck no but will I get it fixed the moment I can afford it after I've hit maintenance. Yes, I don't want to have to wear shapewear, I want to feel confident naked, and I do not need to be reminded every time I look down of all the mistakes I've made not only in my body but in my spirit.
  • soliddreams
    Options
    Does anyone know how much a tummy tuck usually runs for, anyways?

It pisses me off that I have abs and then a big ol hunk of skin dangling down, especially since I want to compete, haha
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

100_1334.jpg

100_1346.jpg

100_1345.jpg

I look much thinner in clothes & that's why people always say you look great dont lose anymore etc

My midsection looks like that when i do cardio and it gets to me.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I get told I'll have loose skin, or some skin is loose when I see I am actually still fat and have fat...

I lost 60lbs, now almost another 10, and so far no loose skin it seems, except people (note: family) who apparently say I do because my stomach hangs slightly, but when pull in, it is 100% flat... Hardly any movement and can actually FEEL the fat underneath...

I have max 20lbs more to lose, maybe 30lbs to get under 50kg.... But that is for only events like cycling or when I run... I wanna hover just above 40's...

Sooo yea.. I aint got any, but I reckon it is to do with long distance running, and eating right.. occasionally... I mean for god sakes, last few days I've been having beer + pizza for supper and have still lost day after day :/
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    over the past 18 months of working out and eating healthy I have lost a great deal of weight too. At one point I was sure that I'd never wear a top with bare shoulders because my arms were so flabby. I am still working out and will continue to work on that part of my body. I had issues with my breasts, my tummy and my butt/thighs with excess skin.

My arms, through the use of weight lifting are looking great. Not perfect, but I think I will be able to recover nicely from the 20 years of being over weight.
    My tummy, well after 3 kids and almost 100 lbs overweight for 20 years, it's unlikely that I"ll get that down to what it was..and I do look quite a bit like you in your pictures. I'll get a tuck once I get closer to my goal weight.
    My thighs and legs.. will just be what they are! They are my battle scars and a part of me, plus a lot trickier to lift.

I guess the deal here is.. be happy with what you have right now, because remember when you were morbidly obese.. I remember. I used to say to myself "If I can get into a size 9/10, then I will be happy". I'm in a size 8 now, and while I may not be done, I am very happy. Be good to yourself. You deserve it. Wear spanx and be happy with your new shape. You are beautiful!
  • mirsasha
    Options
    I'm in the flappy skin club too. Between the National Geographic boobs, the flappy tummy (that kind of makes a second set of boobs when I bend over), the thighs that look like they belong on an 80 year old and, worst of all, my flappy, wrinkly, horribly huge and ugly upper arms, it's difficult at times to feel great about losing 115 pounds. I'm older (49) and don't have as much hope of skin recovery as the younger folks. So, I try to concentrate on how my body feels - not on the surface, but deep down. I feel stronger and more in control of it. I have more confidence in my movements through out the day. That and high wasted support hose help a lot. ;) (They need to make support hose for the upper arms!)
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I surely needed to see this...I do not feel skinny with the extra....Some days I look and be like I'm making progress and days like today....I feel like I am big..I want to feel great with my clothes off to... I can do a side by side the same day and clothes on/off is like night and day...GRRR....Ok thanks needed to get it out to someone...LOL
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how much a tummy tuck usually runs for, anyways?

It pisses me off that I have abs and then a big ol hunk of skin dangling down, especially since I want to compete, haha

Depends on where you live. I had mine done in Maine almost exactly 3 years ago and paid $4500. That included the Plastic surgeon's fee, the hosptial fees, and the anesthesiologist. It is day surgery.... you're in in the morning and out in the afternoon. I am very sure it's more money in other places. The lower cost reflects the area I lived in and in no way compromised my quality of care. I had a wonderful outcome and would do it again in a nanosecond. That skin wasn't going anywhere despite my best efforts and if I wanted it gone (plus have the cleaved muscles repaired from multiple pregnancies) surgery was my only option.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I surely am going to give it time and give my best efforts to get it flat/tightened but i certainly am not going to wait 5 years to get it fixed if it doesnt improve. I dont work my *kitten* off just to not be able to wear a bikini. Its been my dream to wear one comfortably & confidently. I have been obese my entire life so i dont see that i will tighten my lower gut area since its been stretched out all my life plus a pregnancy.

I too have teabag saggy tata's so maybe i will do both..Gotta get saving!!! HAHA
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have lost 14 stone which is 196 pounds. Everything from my ribs downwards is loose skin. I hate it but I know week by week it is changing and can feel it tightening. I was expecting it to look worse but I often get backache especially after lying down and I think the hanging skin is a contributing factor.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    So what is 30DS and R130?

They're Jillian Michales Workouts that you can do at home with just small dumbells (30DS is normally down with one set of 3-5lb and then RI30 is done with two sets - one lighter and one heavier) I don't have any pics of my skin at its worst but I do have some from right before I started 30DS and I can take one today from 1 week into RI30 - then i can toughen up and post them - because there is hope!!
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone :) I can relate to all of these posts! Lately I think I feel worse about myself than I did before. My stomach and my arms in particular are ruined. It's very hard to motivate myself to keep going when it seems pointless, I will still look awful no matter what I do.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing and slowly but surely it is improving. I do lots of resistance and cardio, core and crunches...I refuse to accept defeat and it really has improved to the point of it not being noticeable anymore. Don't lose hope!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've lost ~100 pounds a few times in my life. The longest period I was normal weight was about a decade. The excess skin will not tighten up if you get <insert miracle cream or supplement>. It will recover to the extent that your genetics and the degree of damage the skin has endured will allow.

To answer your question: Yes, I feel skinny and fit - when I'm wearing clothes that cover me to a minimum of knee level. I've got loose skin from just above waist level to my knees. Being fat means hiding my body because I'm fat. Being skinny means hiding much of my body because it's a different type of ugly.

It is what it is. You'll have to find your own means of dealing with extra skin, both physically and mentally.
  • sjsieglaff
    sjsieglaff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You look great! Excellent job on the weightloss, its so hard after having kids! I suggest to tone it up. You can try a program like p90X or Insanity. I lost 90 pounds with my first child by doing P90X, (half-assed it, so i didnt get that 6 pack like I wanted). Ive got 50 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight after having baby #2. Im doing a hybrid of P90X and Insanity. You can check out the success stories online (beachbody.com) or just google it. There are people on there who lost an immense amount of weight, and have very little loose skin. Thats what i'm hoping for too! =D Good luck!
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this topic, because my tummy looks just like the pictures posted, too. I am down 50 lbs from my high point, I have four children aged 28 - 18, and I will be 51 next month. I hate the way my tummy looks, it is nice to know I am not alone. I want to lose 15 to 25 more pounds; hope it get no worse. By the way, you are all so amazing - love the solidarity of MFP!
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You look great! Excellent job on the weightloss, its so hard after having kids! I suggest to tone it up. You can try a program like p90X or Insanity. I lost 90 pounds with my first child by doing P90X, (half-assed it, so i didnt get that 6 pack like I wanted). Ive got 50 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight after having baby #2. Im doing a hybrid of P90X and Insanity. You can check out the success stories online (beachbody.com) or just google it. There are people on there who lost an immense amount of weight, and have very little loose skin. Thats what i'm hoping for too! =D Good luck!

I did 60 days of P90X, i couldnt keep up with the long workouts. It just wasnt for me! I however do love Chalean Extreme!
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I would take loose skin over fat any day its a price you have to pay sometimes for getting big and losing it, Same with stretch marks they never go away but they can fade,, Same with the Skin you can tone it up get surgery ect, Some people dont have lose skin but some people do when they lose a lot of weight , So yes i would even with loose skin ANY DAY!
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am just happy i took things as slow as i did an lifted heavy the entire time with cardio so i dont have any loose skin. It will bounce back though over time
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!