When should you stop eating for the day?

Options
124»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How long before bed do you stop eating for the day? I have read that you shouldn't eat anything after 8 pm because your body can't metabolize it before you go to sleep. My problem is that I'm often up late because I work evenings (usually not getting home til 1 am) and go to bed around 2 am most nights. If I don't eat something after 8 then I spend most of the night starving and pig out when I get home RIGHT before bed. Thoughts?

Guess what? The "don't eat after a certain time" is 100% myth. Timing of meals has nothing to with weight.

I have eaten dinner as late as 9 o'clock, though it's been rare, and I've lost 39 pounds.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that eating right before bed is bad for digestion and if you are trying to get healthy then hurting your digestion is not smart. But it is 2-3 hours before bed, whenever that is.

My digestion is just fine. :smile: I say listen to your body. If your get heartburn eating right before bed, or if your doctor tells you not to for some medical reason, then don't do it. Otherwise, just eat when you want.
  • ngmh96
    ngmh96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok. What IS the iguana dream?
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep on a gurgling empty stomach, so if I had an early dinner I always have a snack (like popcorn or chocolate) before bed.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The only thing I limit to about three hours before bedtime is drinking fluids. I just HATE waking up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. (Well, I'm glad I DO wake up when I need to pee.. but it's the "need" part of it I hate.)
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The real question is, when you wake up at midnight and have a snack, do you log it on today's calories, or tomorrow's calories?

The calories you eat at 11:59:59 you log for the previous day. At 12:00:00 you stop eating (wait to swallow), then at 12:00:01 you resume eating and log it into the next day's calories.

peM5XHc.gif
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Ok. What IS the iguana dream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5EaoZRwrk
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Trust YOUR body and YOUR results and go from there...I don't believe in a one sized fits all approach.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I stop usually just before I turn out the light and climb into bed...I don't want crumbs in bed with me. If you want to snack at night, its perfectly fine to. Some nights I don't get home to have dinner until very late...and I go straight to bed afterwards. Hasn't caused a problem.