I want your secret

Options
I plan to lose 100 pounds and I love hearing people's success stories and hearing their "secrets" as to how they did it.

I am going to make a lifestyle change by eating healthy, counting the calories that go into my body, exercising and trying to cut out soda.

What did you do that made you so darn successful? What exercises/workouts/workout videos did you do? What diet did you have? What food kept you fuller the longest?

This is a chance for you to brag and explain to me how you did it... feel free to add pictures if you would like!

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    cutting soda out, at least switching to diet was a good move for me. In the beginning I also kept cereal with me. the little stick ones, I had Wegmans brand.

Really just not eating fast food and staying under my TDEE.

if you want cardio, I did couch 2 5k and lifted till I had an injury.

really working out made me not care so much about the scale and wanted to run better. So in the end, its setting the right goals and adapting.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Decided to lose weight and get fit.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Starting watching what I was eating, counting calories, and basic treadmill cardio. About four months in I started weight training and running, this was the kick I needed to really see changes. It's really calories in\calories out. I workout because I love what it does for my body and so that I can eat more. :smile:

Best of luck on your journey.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    nutella and poptarts.

true story.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Decided to lose weight and get fit.

QFT. All the little 'tips and tricks' mean squat if you don't have the genuine desire to change your life!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The only secrets you need:
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit consistently
    2. Find an exercise routine you enjoy and do it consistently.
    3. Stay patient and continue to repeat steps 1 and 2.
  • MrsAnderson_GettingHealthy
    Options
    I can't wait to get started on this program!

I am going to wait until my daughter is born and than start eating healthy and following the calorie intake for those first 6 weeks while walking as much as possible but, after I am given the 'OK' to workout again, I am going to start a good exercise program that can kick my butt and make these pounds sweat off while I eat the things that I need to eat.

I think that cutting out soda and chocolate will be the hardest for me but, I need to remember to give myself "treats" once in a while in moderation..... there's that word MODERATION!! (that will also be one of the harder things that I deal with)

Thanks for the wonderful answers.
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a long time to take off the weight I put on five years ago (pregnancy, two grad school program, lots of stress!) but- I'm back to my college weight and continuing in the right direction! I quit eating "diet food" and I make sure I keep a log. I recently started intermittent fasting, not a dramatic program, but I know that when I eat I like to feel satisfied, so I eat a big lunch and dinner with very little snacking. We subscribe to a service that drops off recipes and groceries each week- it isn't a diet program, but I look forward to preparing something every night that is healthy and made of whole foods, and I think I tend to eat less than when you eat the same foods over and over. (My tastebuds don't get bored.) I signed up for a 5K a few months ago with a friend and committed to training. I also have a workout buddy and I've recruited real life friends to be MFP friends...

To sum up- commit to a race? Keep your food interesting and delicious. Play around with your eating patterns- especially if you can identify areas of weakness. Log your food every day. Find support- both online and in real life.

That's it for me! Looking for a good weight training program now, since many people say heavy lifting was key to their weight loss.

Good luck!!
    Options
    If you read my blogs and are following my story, you would know that I have the genuine desire to change my life by losing this weight. Thanks though!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    you need to talk to your obgyn or Dr. If your breast feeding it is more calories a day. Don't make any changes now till after its born!
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    My secret is what NOT to do, kiddies. (Even though it got me the body I wanted, no. Just no.)

I'd like to think it was a secret but then I take like a bajillion at once so I'm pretty sure people know. Cause like, woah tweaking.

tumblr_m9zp6jSgdH1qcvlwqo1_500.jpg

Upsides: Never eat, ever. Not even when you try because it's all gross. You think you're everything good in the world - suddenly hey, you look in the mirror and realize you're gorgeous, duh. And popular, and somehow now you're a great public speaker, and you focus on things like it's nobody's business. Upside is basically - "You get to think you're perfect! Also, screw bodily limitations!"

Downsides: You might be a junkie and it's not fun. Seriously. Forget sleeping for the rest of your life. Oh, and when you don't take it, prepare to eat your entire kitchen three times over on top of the dopamine crash you'll get and the vague feeling that a truck ran over your entire body.

The major, major downside is that you just swallow a pill and you have no desire to eat. Take that away, and you're left with both an appetite and a total lack of knowledge on how to eat anything healthy.

Thank heavens I quit this crap. I'll live with the binges.

Anyways, someone else can post something that actually helps. :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda's drank nothing but water for the first 2 years now I will allow myself to have a soda once in awhile as long as I fit it into my day and only once a month if that. I don't crave them but I've had 1 Dr. Pepper last month and honestly I only had like 10 sips out of it and it went to waste cus I didn't really want it.

I try to stand clear of things I can't eat in moderation. I don't really WATCH what I eat just watch how much I eat.

I log EVERYTHING even if it's a bite I still log it. Even 1 bite has calories in it and sometimes they have more then we realize.

I work out pretty much every day. I am doing insanity right now but I also do push ups every day, since I hit ONEderland I have stressed myself to do push ups every day. If I don't do anything else I do push ups.

I let myself have a bad day once in awhile because your metabolism get's use to the same thing all the time. I find to let myself have a bad day once a week is good for me I've never hit a plateau.

To not forget about this site and forget to log, set MFP as your home page :)
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Re- MODERATION- I hear you. So I buy one chocolate bar to share with my family of four. And soda only on occasion at a restaurant. Smaller sized packages. But if you really crave it, make it fit into your life, or you'll feel deprived. Good luck!
    Options
    It's taken me a long time to take off the weight I put on five years ago (pregnancy, two grad school program, lots of stress!) but- I'm back to my college weight and continuing in the right direction! I quit eating "diet food" and I make sure I keep a log. I recently started intermittent fasting, not a dramatic program, but I know that when I eat I like to feel satisfied, so I eat a big lunch and dinner with very little snacking. We subscribe to a service that drops off recipes and groceries each week- it isn't a diet program, but I look forward to preparing something every night that is healthy and made of whole foods, and I think I tend to eat less than when you eat the same foods over and over. (My tastebuds don't get bored.) I signed up for a 5K a few months ago with a friend and committed to training. I also have a workout buddy and I've recruited real life friends to be MFP friends...

To sum up- commit to a race? Keep your food interesting and delicious. Play around with your eating patterns- especially if you can identify areas of weakness. Log your food every day. Find support- both online and in real life.

That's it for me! Looking for a good weight training program now, since many people say heavy lifting was key to their weight loss.

Good luck!!

I will need to remember to journal every single day what I am eating and what I am doing... I bet that helped so much! Thanks so much!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Remember the weight did not appear over night it won't be gone over night. It's a journey and just stick with it. Motivation can only go so far, it's up to you on how far you'll let it take you!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Always track what you eat. Get a kitchen scale and a set of measuring cups and spoons if you don't have them already. Be honest, if you are 1000 calories over your TDEE record it. You'll be glad you did when you look back and understand that the scale doesnt help you lose weight ( it can be even be detrimental to your confidence) but you do gave control of your weight loss. Good for you for taking steps towards health and doing something for you!
    Options
    I cut out soda's drank nothing but water for the first 2 years now I will allow myself to have a soda once in awhile as long as I fit it into my day and only once a month if that. I don't crave them but I've had 1 Dr. Pepper last month and honestly I only had like 10 sips out of it and it went to waste cus I didn't really want it.

I try to stand clear of things I can't eat in moderation. I don't really WATCH what I eat just watch how much I eat.

I log EVERYTHING even if it's a bite I still log it. Even 1 bite has calories in it and sometimes they have more then we realize.

I work out pretty much every day. I am doing insanity right now but I also do push ups every day, since I hit ONEderland I have stressed myself to do push ups every day. If I don't do anything else I do push ups.

I let myself have a bad day once in awhile because your metabolism get's use to the same thing all the time. I find to let myself have a bad day once a week is good for me I've never hit a plateau.

To not forget about this site and forget to log, set MFP as your home page :)

How wonderful! I am going to need to log every single day... I am sure that will be hard at first to get use to but, It will help so much to document every single thing that is going on with my eating and my exercising! I have the app and I have it set as my homepage. I think that I can become successful as long as I stick with the program and learn how to change my eating habits and lifestyle. I don't want to be big anymore.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    The only secrets you need:
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit consistently
    2. Find an exercise routine you enjoy and do it consistently.
    3. Stay patient and continue to repeat steps 1 and 2.

QFT
    Options
    you need to talk to your obgyn or Dr. If your breast feeding it is more calories a day. Don't make any changes now till after its born!

I have already talked to my midwife. Thank you!
    My daughter isn't born yet and I haven't made any changes to anything.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    There are some great tips on here. I agree with logging every single day, every single bite. If you want help and encouragement with that, keep your food diary public. If you are going to end up lying because you feel ashamed of your food choices, keep it private. That really depends on you. I have mine public, but I totally understand people keeping theirs private. I also encourage logging every single bite. When you have to figure out the math of of one freaking bite of something, it can be a pain in the rear! Makes it not worth grazing. Find replacements for your cravings. I munched on almonds when I wanted chips, and it turned out that I was really craving that crunch more than the actual chips. When I wanted a tub of ice cream, I drank lo-cal hot chocolate to satisfy the sweet tooth. For some reason, those suggestions seemed so stupid to me until I actually tried them. I resisted substituting for a loooong time. I just KNEW that there was NO WAY that lo-cal hot chocolate was going to work for MY sweet tooth! Lol, so stubborn. Now I'm finally in a place where I can eat some ice cream in moderation. I learned to love vegetables by experimenting with them (raw with hummus, steamed until they're squishy makes a big difference for me, and roasting vegetables). I did lots of cardio, but once I got to my goal weight, I was unhappy with how flabby I looked, so began weight training, and lost a lot of inches. Lifting HEAVY weights has been my biggest "secret". I've been sitting at 150 lbs. and went from a size 9/10 to a size 5/6 in about 6-8 weeks (same style, same brand) without losing a pound. Today I bought the 3/4. They're still too tight (in my opinion, not my husband's opinion) but I just started kettlebells, so I have no doubt that I will fit into them within the next month or two. Be sure to stay hydrated, and get lots of protein (go over what MFP recommends). When I lift, I will not see ANY changes unless I'm getting lots of protein. Whatever your workout, know yourself and if you'll keep doing it. I can kind of work out at home, but it's sporadic. I simply need to be in a social atmosphere, so I do taekwondo and kettlebells. I know they will ask where I am if I miss, plus I get to talk to people. My at home stuff is simply supplemental. If I didn't go to my tkd gym, I would seldom work out, and I just have to know myself well enough to admit that. Any questions, PM me :)

Edited to add: If you're breastfeeding, make sure you get enough calories. I had to really pay attention to that the first year after having my son. Sometimes it's frustrating, because you feel like if you could just cut more calories, you would lose more, but that's not true plus it's better for your child. Just recently I plateaued and when I changed from 1500 calories to 1600, I dropped two pounds in a couple of days.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!