I want your secret

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    The only secrets you need:
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit consistently
    2. Find an exercise routine you enjoy and do it consistently.
    3. Stay patient and continue to repeat steps 1 and 2.

This is how I did it, or rather doing it. Only half way there.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My advice:
    Ignore everybody who tells you to cut out certain foods/only eat *insert food here* and avoid *insert food here*.

Eat what you want and keep it within your macros. Pre-log your entire day of food in the morning so there is no chance of 'accidentally' eating something that doesn't fit into your macros. Don't stress over 'guilty pleasure' foods as long as you budget it into your day. Ignore people who tell you that you'll get fat and die if you drink diet soda. If you want to go out to eat, do it with no shame and just look up the menu online before you go. Planning is really key.

Everybody has their own way that they prefer to do things, so just follow whatever works for you. Don't be afraid of carbs/fat unless you have a medical reason. Protein is your friend and is very filling. Every week on here somebody will tell you that you're doing it the wrong way.

Basically, just eat at a deficit and get more active and you'll drop the weight. You'll discover what works best for you as time goes on.

ETA:
    Oh, and buy a scale and weigh your foods. Most people have no clue what 2oz of pasta looks like vs. 4oz of pasta, etc.

A heart rate monitor is great too so you know how many calories you burn. The more you exercise, the more food you can eat.
  • 6packb450
    Options
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS work out within 15 minutes of waking up... get dressed, and get moving.

Eat a good, healthy PROTEIN PACKED breakfast, post workout.

Stay away from the pantry, refrigerator after dinner.

I don't always practice what I preach... but this has been the ONLY way I lose, it works!
  • samuelzmom
    samuelzmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey back in late May 2012 and signed up for MFP, someone on this board mentioned something that has struck me to this day. She said that no matter how hard it got or how often she cheated, she kept going. That has been one of my "secrets" as well. I cheat a few times a week, but I always keep going. My goal was to be 110 pounds by the end of the year, and I could've made it to my ultimate goal of 100 lbs by the end of 2012, but I cheated too much. However, I kept going and still am. Just don't ever give up. When I cheat and the scale goes back up, I jump right back on the wagon. The problem in the past was that I never got back on the wagon. In the past, when I was so disappointed with myself, I would then say, "Oh what the heck. I already ruined it, why not just finish this cake all to myself anyway?" That mentality would go on to the next day and so on until I got too fat. The idea is to change that mentality.

It's 80% diet, 20% exercise and 100% dedication.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Eat better, move more :drinker:
  • Idka81
    Idka81 Posts: 42
    Options
    Everyone is giving you great and supportive advice. What a great group of folks. My only bit to you is in response to waiting after your daughter is born to start making healthy choices. I can't tell you enough how much damage I did to my body during pregnancy - gained almost 50lbs. After years of struggling and watching my figure, I completely went off my rocker during pg and gained an insane amount of weight for my frame and very quickly. It has taken me 4 years to get that off, and I'm still going. Not only because I got older, and typical college tactics of not eating much for a few days to lose 5 pounds no longer worked, but the weight was the worst weight I had ever seen on myself. Try your best to eat healthy now, don't make drastic changes overnight and reform your diet entirely. But, do what you can. Reach for that carrot instead of a soda. It will benefit both of of you in the long run. Good luck!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    No secret......just determination.
    Made myself eat right and made myself run and work out.

95 pounds down
    :flowerforyou:
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The only secrets you need:
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit consistently
    2. Find an exercise routine you enjoy and do it consistently.
    3. Stay patient and continue to repeat steps 1 and 2.

Well said and agree 100%...
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest "secret" is your head and your heart have to be involved in the journey. If those two things are not insync it is hard to complete the journey. Being on MFP has helped me tremendously. Seeing the success stories and know that others are on the journey with me...biggest thing ever. Not spending 45 minutes on the treadmill and instead working with weights has done wonders for me. Eating clean 90% of the time as well. Good luck on as you start your journey!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    two things that will make it work:

1. Patience
    2. Committment

keep on going even when the results are minimal/seemingly invisible. keep on going even though you've been doing this forever! and you just want to take a break. keep on going even though it seems like everyone else is leaping and bounding over your slow moving progress. keep on going even though nobody notices, keep on going when everyone tells you 'just this once won't hurt' -- when you don't particularly want to eat the cookie/fried snack/cupcake. keep on going even though you've hit a plateau.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you're planning to nurse, you will be surprised at how much of a difference it will make to your body - in a good way. With both of my babies, I nursed, got lots of fluids for me, and ate healthily with a good variety of foods. My body snapped back to lower than pre-pregnancy weight within 2 months.

(I can't blame a single ounce of my weight problems on pregnancy)

Keep a bottle of water near you all the time - you will find that you require MORE fluids if you're nursing. I was thirsty all the time. The water is good for you, and good for milk-supply. :)

Weight loss tip - log everything. Everything - every bite. That has helped me tremendously.
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Love the topic
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have posted this a few times, people will be getting sick of me popping up but you asked for it so here it is:
    10 months, 1 personal trainer and over 200 gym visits......

These pics are a culmination of the last 10 months of sustained effort. I am proof that literally most people can eventually get round to being healthy and losing the weight. It has taken me over 30 years of trying every diet in the land. I knew everything, but I knew nothing.

I need a knee replacement. I did this with mostly weight lifting, I can't really do much cardio, occasionally the stationary bike and a bit of rowing. I go to the gym six times a week in the evening from about 8pm to 9.30pm. I eat dinner after that. I also had to get used to eating 6 times a day instead of 3 (hard, still hard....)

I have lost 98lb (UK - 7stone) in this time, my waist has gone down 30.5cm, my thigh 15cm, my arm 9.5cm. I have lost over 10% body fat so far. I haven't finished, but I wanted to share to give you hope if you, like me, have been struggling and wishing there was a miracle out there that would melt the weight off. There isn't. Knuckle down, find a plan and stick to it. Nobody can do this for you. It's all in your hands.

Good luck. Messages or friend requests are welcome.

Here's some pix

Novcomparison-1-1.jpg
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Share your goals with family and friends it will make you more accountable.
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Log everything. You will make mistakes, but don't beat yourself up for them. Log it and leave it. Don't ever give up! You can do it!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Here is the Secret: Diet / Exercise / Willpower. That's it
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever, whenever as long as its in my calorie budget. I went from never exercising to working out 4-5x a week and learning that when im not at the gym there's ways to burn extra calories throughout the day. Taking measurements because sometimes inches fall off instead of pounds. Staying consistent is most important. One week on one week off wont work. So stay motivated.
  • thirteenblessings
    Options
    Breastfeed :) Seriously it helped me take off the pregnancy weight plus another 20. It's an amazing thing! Good for you for wanting to be a healthy mommy for your daughter! And congratulations! When is she due?
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get started on this program!

I am going to wait until my daughter is born and than start eating healthy and following the calorie intake for those first 6 weeks while walking as much as possible but, after I am given the 'OK' to workout again, I am going to start a good exercise program that can kick my butt and make these pounds sweat off while I eat the things that I need to eat.

I think that cutting out soda and chocolate will be the hardest for me but, I need to remember to give myself "treats" once in a while in moderation..... there's that word MODERATION!! (that will also be one of the harder things that I deal with)

Thanks for the wonderful answers.

I wanted to comment on this part specifically. Everyone thinks it's going to be so hard to give up soda and candy ..it is, for a few weeks, but your body's cravings change a lot in that time period. I used to eat an entire mini cheese cake from walmart by myself and now I don't even want a piece of cake from there. It's just too darn much at once.

Also, making your lifestyle routine will help a lot. Only problem is- finding something that actually works for you takes a long time and people get fed up. I tried to make a weekly plan this week here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TinGirl314

Just to give myself a check off system. My blog is only for my body of course...the foods you eat and what your goals are will determine your routine. :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets, but:
    Decide to do it.
    Eat less, move more, eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, and exercise.
    Stop making excuses and forgive yourself if you slip now and then.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!