Water intake, Does Tea count and Coffee???

Options

Replies

• 0utrider
    0utrider Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just poured a gallon of brewed tea over my head and I am completely dry! Tea is not water.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Think about this logically: Adding tea (or any flavoring) to water does not change the water into anything else.

Many people choose not to count those things, but their bodies still recognize the water.

And LMAO at classifying tea as "garbage."
    Yes. I've given up trying to convince people of this obvious fact. The logically challenged will still spout their nonsense.

and spend their lives fretting about the dangerous qualities of tea and other non 'pure' fluids.
    Good grief, do people want to spend what little time they have here, fussing over things like that?
    I can understand when it comes to soda or too many milky, sugary drinks, but tea?
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Decaf tea and coffee are not water, but they are hydrants for your body. Regular are not because caffeine dehydrates you. :)
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Decaf tea and coffee are not water, but they are hydrants for your body. Regular are not because caffeine dehydrates you. :)

When you look at a cup of hot coffee or tea, what is that thin, white misty stuff that rises from the top of it. I'l tell you. It's STEAM, and STEAM is water. If you let it drift onto something cool,it will condense into WATER.

This is basic, basic science.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    9 pages and still raging! I'm going for a cuppa!

edit: sorry - now 10 pages!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    9 pages and still raging! I'm going for a cuppa!

edit: sorry - now 10 pages!

lol, I've begun to cry for the world :)

A new example:

If someone takes some cooked chicken and some cooked potatoes and blitzed them together in a food mixer, it's still ok to log them seperately as potatoes and cooked chicken.

This is pretty much what happens when you add tea or coffee to water. The coffee molecules float around the water molecules. They dont react chemically with one another; they just stay in solution. This is what a solution is. It' not a new chemical compount. It's a bit like having 10 white pool balls and 10 black pool balls and mixing them up in a bag. They dont turn into grey pool balls. They are just white and black ones mixed together.

I'm not sure if this can be made any simpler to understand.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Does anyone read the thread before they post anymore? This has been debunked in this thread at least 10 times. Caffeine is not a diuretic in reasonable amounts that 95%+ of us drink!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    It contains 99% water. Yes.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think we can all agree that water is water...it's just sometimes my water has tea particles floating in it.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you want to get really technical, Chemistry wise, water can only equal water. Tea has over 2,000 chemical compounds in it. So, by adding tea to your water, you are changing the chemical make-up of the water thus making it no longer water but tea.

So, tea is NOT water.

Note: (added) MFP doesn't ask for "liquids", it asks for "Water".

But the water in which you brew the tea does not cease to be water when you add tea, on a molecular level. So, while the tea is not water, the water it's in is still water.
    Lol, wrong again. Yes, I'm in college chemistry. It is actually a chemical reaction because it relies on the chemical properties of water and of the substances in the tea leaf. These substances-tannins, caffeine, and many others-dissolve in the hot water. The heat accelerates the reaction, but it is not a physical change. (Try steeping a tea bag in cold water-eventually you will get tea, although it will taste a bit different, probably because heat affects the dissolution of the various substances at different rates.) It's a chemical reaction therefore it does change the molecular properties of the water. Don't you just love how people try to sound smart, when they have no clue what they are talking about?

What college is teaching you that crap? That along with your comment about how you can become dehydrated by drinking coffee makes you sound like a genius. So what you're saying, is if I drink 8 ounces of coffee, I will pee out more than 8 ounces in response? You really believe that?
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just adding a tea bag to water, will of course not change the molecular structure of water, boiling the water while making tea will. The six catechin-derived polyphenols in tea leaves (C, EC, ECG, GC, EGC, and EGCG) are oxidized by the enzyme PPO (The firing of the leaves heats the enzymes to their peak activity rate). The catechins first form intermediate compounds called orthoquinones that are very unstable and reactive.The orthoquinones then combine in pairs in a series of condensation reactions. They can function as either hydrogen acceptors or hydrogen donors. The combinations can happen through C-O or C-C bonds. The compounds formed are called theaflavins (TF), which are larger molecules and are unique in chemistry. The catechins react in pairs to form six theaflavins. Some theaflavins are brighter and brisker than others showing that the quality of the tea depends not just on the polyphenol count, but the compostion of the catechins and the availability of PPO. The TFs are unstable and further oxidize through the action of PO. They then form thearubigins (TR). TRs are much larger and more complex. Their chemical structure is yet unknown . The compounds though, have a high complexation affinity with metals like Al and Mn, and alkaloids like caffeine. Thearubigins are largely responsible for the flavor, aroma, and color of the liqueur; some make it brighter and brisker, others dull.

Notice such words as "oxidation," "hydrogen acceptors," and "hydrogen donors." All indicate a chemical reaction between the tea and water. To simplify this, if it was a "physical" reaction, you could draw the tea out of the water by reverse osmosis like you could get the salt, sugar, or even lemon juice out of water.

Haha...you look at an angelfire.com site (http://www.angelfire.com/pro/chemist_emily_f/chemistsinabigworld.html) for your "college research"? Seriously?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Is caffiene a diuretic? Yes.

Has it been proven you can live on tea, coffee, soda with no water intake at all? Yes.

Is arguing over how someone chooses to track their water itake stupid? Yes.

I don't care how others choose to log it. Where I have a problem is when those people who think "only water is water" insist that everyone log exactly the way they do. Someone asked a genuine question and deserves a genuine, true answer based on science.

If you don't want to log anything but water as water, don't. But don't tell me I'm wrong if I do.

I should say that can be turned around as well. If you do want to log other stuff besides water as water, then do. But don't tell people they're wrong if they don't.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Also, to OP. I think you've seen some pretty.....heated debates on both sides. Ultimately its up to you to decide if you'd like to log beverages such as tea or coffee as water. It won't be the end of the world should you choose one side over the other!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is caffiene a diuretic? Yes.

Has it been proven you can live on tea, coffee, soda with no water intake at all? Yes.

Is arguing over how someone chooses to track their water itake stupid? Yes.

I don't care how others choose to log it. Where I have a problem is when those people who think "only water is water" insist that everyone log exactly the way they do. Someone asked a genuine question and deserves a genuine, true answer based on science.

If you don't want to log anything but water as water, don't. But don't tell me I'm wrong if I do.

I should say that can be turned around as well. If you do want to log other stuff besides water as water, then do. But don't tell people they're wrong if they don't.

I never have told people they were wrong for not. I have told them they were wrong for telling others who want to do so not to.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you really think about it, I'm sure tea and coffee could be considered water, but I always log them individually (I like seeing how much coffee/tea I drink on any given week and how it affected my weight loss). Some coffee has calories in it (minimal, but still). Do whatever is best for you :)
  • derkacs
    Options
    Coffee dehydrates your body! Only tea and water should be recorded.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Do you know how much caffeine is needed to dehydrate you?

Not in several cups of tea or coffee.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If coffee is such a great diuretic, explain to me why I have been drinking 6-8 cups of black coffee a day for years, but still have to take two different water pills because of extreme water retention in my lower extremities? (And yes, I have been put through a battery of tests to make sure nothing else is going on) And no, I don't log coffee or tea as long as its black.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    "Only water is water" - Everyone who doesn't have an elementary-school-level understanding of chemistry.

If you had any understanding of chemistry and/or nutrition you would know that tea and coffee are 99 percent + water and that any fluids you consume (including the water content of food you eat) work towards hydrating your body
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Do you know how much caffeine is needed to dehydrate you?...
    ...or how many times that piece of false information (that caffeinated drinks will dehydrate you) has been parroted (and debunked) in this thread?

I guess it's like the "no eating after 7 pm" thing - an old wives' tale that just won't die.