Water intake, Does Tea count and Coffee???

Options
I like to drink alot of water ( about 10 cups a day) but with the colder weather its getting harder to drink so much water. When you drink tea does it count as water intake???

Replies

• MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweet tea throughout the day and I count it as water (since there's nothing else in it).
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You're shortchanging your body if you count tea and other garbage as water. WATER counts as water. Nothing else.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Water = Water.
    I log everything else as the actual item.

Coffee is logged as coffee, tea is logged as tea, etc.

Water is logged as water.
  • katiecor
    katiecor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't usually count my coffee as water, but I don't see any reason why you can't count tea, provided you don't add anything to it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Think about this logically: Adding tea (or any flavoring) to water does not change the water into anything else.

Many people choose not to count those things, but their bodies still recognize the water.

And LMAO at classifying tea as "garbage."
  • Oneday150
    Oneday150 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do count my coffee as coffee, But then I had some tea today beacuse I am so cold and I thought to myself would it count as water since I am only adding the tea bag. Got me thinking.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I count herbal tea as water but if it has caffine or I'm adding milk to it I don't count it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Think about this logically: Adding tea (or any flavoring) to water does not change the water into anything else.

Many people choose not to count those things, but their bodies still recognize the water.

Yes. I've given up trying to convince people of this obvious fact. The logically challenged will still spout their nonsense.
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes. I've given up trying to convince people of this obvious fact. The logically challenged will still spout their nonsense.

*sigh*

I know.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I do count my coffee as coffee, But then I had some tea today beacuse I am so cold and I thought to myself would it count as water since I am only adding the tea bag. Got me thinking.

Apply this logic to the coffee, as well. Caffeine is not the diuretic people make it out to be. You can count your coffee.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee as water intake, but I do count tea if I don't add sweetener. If you're looking for a way to keep your water intake high in the colder months, try hot water with lemon, which I do a lot this time of year.

And yes, I also giggled at the notion of tea as garbage. :)
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I count my tea as water.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    "Only water is water" - Everyone who doesn't have an elementary-school-level understanding of chemistry.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Yes! I was shocked someone would call it that. I don't count my water or tea on my diary. If I do want to tally up my liquids, I count my 8oz or 10oz glasses of tea as water. I don't add sugar, milk or anything to my tea.
  • ldesaus
    Options
    Of course it does. The 8-10 cups/day is nothing more than a guideline to give people something concrete to aim for, it's not necessary to be militant about how you contribute toward your hydration (especially as our daily water intake does not even solely come from what we drink, unless everything you eat is dehydrated).
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't add coffee and tea to your water intake, as long as you're logging the coffee and tea into your daily calories, and being sure to add any milk, sugars, creamer, etc. as well.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Yes! I was shocked someone would call it that. I don't count my water or tea on my diary. If I do want to tally up my liquids, I count my 8oz or 10oz glasses of tea as water. I don't add sugar, milk or anything to my tea.

^^ AGREE!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I count only water as water, because my doc said if it's not plain water, it's not water. That being said. He said you can be hydrated by beverages other than water, which I think is the point of your question. So whether it's Mio, or herbal tea or whatever, you can probably in your head figure "yeah I only had six cups of regular water but I drank four cups of herbal tea", etc. I'd probably continue to only log clear water as water, and the other stuff on your food diary portion.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Well...

Pretend you are drinking a hot cup of water, and when you are done you suck on a tea bag for 10 minutes...
    There you can add the tea... and still add the water to your water count...

Your body is keeping perfect tabs on your WOE (and drinking) no matter what you report to MFP....
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting home feeling like crud drinking cup after cup of herbal tea. I'm logging the tea with a packet of Splenda and not worrying about the 8 cups of water I'm supposed to get because I know decaf herbal tea is going to provide me with the fluids I need.

Coffee with caffeine I think would be different. Although coffee itself doesn't really have any calories it is a diuretic (sp) and will dehydrate you if you use coffee in place of water.