Water intake, Does Tea count and Coffee???

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You're shortchanging your body if you count tea and other garbage as water. WATER counts as water. Nothing else.

DT2ru.gif

So, when you drink water with a meal, what part of the stomach does the water go into so that it doesn't mix with everything else. I don't want my body to confuse the water I drink with any of the other garbage in my stomach.

Also, what magical properties does tea have to zap all of the water out of the pitcher? I KNOW I put water in there...a whole lot of water with very little tea.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fluids to function. It doesn't care if it's water, soup, tea, coffee, milk, juice, soda, or any other food that contains liquids. An apple is 85% water. The whole drink until you pee yourself every 10 minutes thing is the garbage. If your urine is a pale yellow and you aren't thirsty then you're getting enough fluids. There's no magic weight loss feature to drinking a gallon of water and drinking too much water over works your kidneys and flushes out minerals that you need.

So count any liquid you drink as a fluid if you want to keep track.
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i think tea & coffee work as dehydrants.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You're shortchanging your body if you count tea and other garbage as water. WATER counts as water. Nothing else.

DT2ru.gif

So, when you drink water with a meal, what part of the stomach does the water go into so that it doesn't mix with everything else. I don't want my body to confuse the water I drink with any of the other garbage in my stomach.

Also, what magical properties does tea have to zap all of the water out of the pitcher? I KNOW I put water in there...a whole lot of water with very little tea.

The tea binds with the water and becomes non water so your stomach rejects it and its stored in your fat cells to be later processed by your liver. That's why you shouldn't eat after 7pm, because then your liver is too busy to process the stored nonwater liquids
  • mercymarque
    Options
    no just regular H2O
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Coffee with caffeine I think would be different. Although coffee itself doesn't really have any calories it is a diuretic (sp) and will dehydrate you if you use coffee in place of water.

No.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    does blood count as water

please reply asap urgent
  • Lazlo66
    Lazlo66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've never felt I could count coffee as water, because coffee has such a diuretic effect so it doesn't have the staying power water does, and it doesn't curb my appetite the way that water (or, yes, tea) does. I have the same issue with Diet Coke or other diet soda. I feel like I'd be lying to myself. But for those who count coffee as water and are losing weight or keeping their target weight, more power to you. It's never worked for me though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

please reply asap urgent

It's thicker than water. You need to log those calories (good iron though!).
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh my...I just looked up everything I drink and don't coun't cause I thought it was just like water. Now I have 13 extra calories I should of been logging.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree. Herbal tea w/ nothing in it (no caffeine) should count as water!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

DT2ru.gif

The tea binds with the water and becomes non water so your stomach rejects it and its stored in your fat cells to be later processed by your liver. That's why you shouldn't eat after 7pm, because then your liver is too busy to process the stored nonwater liquids

Yup. I read this on Yahoo answers once.
  • rml_16
    Options

please reply asap urgent

So, um, I think I will have to avoid you from now on.
  • Tea and coffee are not chemically the same as water. Both are diuretics and therefore work to dehydrate. Water does exactly the opposite. Not the same, and should not be interchanged as such. They can all be a part of a healthy lifestyle, but they have truly different effects on your body.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've never felt I could count coffee as water, because coffee has such a diuretic effect so it doesn't have the staying power water does, and it doesn't curb my appetite the way that water (or, yes, tea) does. I have the same issue with Diet Coke or other diet soda. I feel like I'd be lying to myself. But for those who count coffee as water and are losing weight or keeping their target weight, more power to you. It's never worked for me though.
    Counting coffee as water prevented you from losing weight?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yup. I read this on Yahoo answers once.

how is babby formed
  • NNOFodile
    Options
    Tea does have calories, sorry for the bad news!! The ginger drink that I drink actually has 78 calories and my friends and I actually had this conversation because I was contemplating going to a strictly tea as a beverage diet.

I actually have always disliked water highly and I normally drank vitamin water, the dragon fruit flavor specifically or juice. However, using the logic that the calories that I am drinking in my juice and vitaminwater(I don't drink soda) are adding calories that are taking away from foods or alcohol(:D) I am trying to at least drink some with a squeeze of lemon in it.

Sigh, it's so exhausting, isn't it?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Sources of fluid

Water is the best source of fluid; it is inexpensive and comes without hidden extras like additives or sugar.
    Tea and coffee are sources of water and contain some nutrients if consumed with milk. Tea also contains antioxidants. These drinks are fine in average amounts (around 3–4 cups a day).
    Fruit juices and smoothies provide vitamins (smoothies also provide some fibre) and can count once a day towards your daily fruit recommendation. But limit them to only one glass a day — ideally with meals — as they are high in sugar and can cause tooth decay.
    Milk provides water and is a rich source of nutrients like protein and calcium, which is important for our bone health. Choosing low-fat milk will save you from the additional fat and calories.
    Other sources of fluid include low-calorie soft drinks and some foods like soups, yoghurts, fruit and vegetables.
    Sport (isotonic) drinks can help in replenishing electrolytes as well as fluids, and may be useful for those exercising for long periods.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Caffeine in moderation will not dehydrate you, so you could likely include it in your water intake if you were so inclined. I personally like to drink a lot of water to filter out the little coffee/tea I drink. I look at water as a good way to help my body filter out & pass the toxins from my body. If you just get in the habit of carrying around a liter/quart size jug of water & making sure you refil & drink 3 of them a day, you should be in great shape. I personally got a pitcher where I filter the water and for me it tastes better and I'm not going thru cases of plastic bottles. At some point I think I'm going to get one of those reverse osmosis filter systems for my house, but I need to read up on them...but I saw one for about $200 or so at Home Depot or Lowes.

Anyhow, here are a couple of articles I found:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5552790&page=1

Just don't go crazy with the coffee/tea & you should be fine. Like almost everything else in life, moderation is key.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Tea does have calories, sorry for the bad news!! The ginger drink that I drink actually has 78 calories and my friends and I actually had this conversation because I was contemplating going to a strictly tea as a beverage diet.

I actually have always disliked water highly and I normally drank vitamin water, the dragon fruit flavor specifically or juice. However, using the logic that the calories that I am drinking in my juice and vitaminwater(I don't drink soda) are adding calories that are taking away from foods or alcohol(:D) I am trying to at least drink some with a squeeze of lemon in it.

Sigh, it's so exhausting, isn't it?

WTH do you put in your tea to cause it to have 78 calories???