Water intake, Does Tea count and Coffee???

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you want to get really technical, Chemistry wise, water can only equal water. Tea has over 2,000 chemical compounds in it. So, by adding tea to your water, you are changing the chemical make-up of the water thus making it no longer water but tea.

So, tea is NOT water.

Note: (added) MFP doesn't ask for "liquids", it asks for "Water".

But the water in which you brew the tea does not cease to be water when you add tea, on a molecular level. So, while the tea is not water, the water it's in is still water.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you want to get really technical, Chemistry wise, water can only equal water. Tea has over 2,000 chemical compounds in it. So, by adding tea to your water, you are changing the chemical make-up of the water thus making it no longer water but tea.

So, tea is NOT water.

It is an additive TO water. If you're talking chemistry wise, how are you missing the very fundamental step that tea is a mixture. So no, tea does not chemically change the water.
  • madworld1
    Options

So, tea is NOT water.

It is an additive TO water. If you're talking chemistry wise, how are you missing the very fundamental step that tea is a mixture. So no, tea does not chemically change the water.

LMAO. I really don't know a damn thing about chemistry. It just sounded good. Anyway, I stand by my original reply to the OP.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I count tea as water.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

So, tea is NOT water.

LMAO. I really don't know a damn thing about chemistry. It just sounded good. Anyway, I stand by my original reply to the OP.

1UsMA.gif
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

So, tea is NOT water.

Go back to school.
  • Lazlo66
    Lazlo66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess someone somewhere has to pick apart every casual comment for contradictions. Obviously it didn't PREVENT me from losing weight. I hope you can find more contradictions in all the other comments here because I'm sure it will give you a thrill.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Coffee and some teas (like green and black) are diuretics, meaning that they make your body eliminate more water than usual.
    They still contain water, they still count as water intake, but drinking a liter of pure water hydrates more your body than a liter of coffee or tea.

And this is not debatable, is a fact, anyone can search and see that coffee and some teas are diuretics, anyone can search what diuretics are.

Drinking water is not about reaching a goal of cups, it's about keeping your body properly hydrated and coping with natural water loss and forced water loss.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If your tea or coffee contains caffeine then you are shorting yourself on water. Coffee and tea are both diuretics which helps your body shed water. Caffeine also dehydrates you. Hydration is the whole point of drinking water. I still drink both coffee and tea daily I just don't count it as water intake. But, both are also good for you as they're both high antioxidants. You just have to watch what you add to them. :smile:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    i count it.

Think of it this way... when you're making a pot of coffee or a cup of tea, what are you pouring? Water. So it's party of my water intake.

Not that I actually keep track of water intake. I drink when I'm thirsty. Or when I am working out intensely.
  • suzette52
    suzette52 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I believe you can't count coffee as water, but you can count tea - not sure why!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What it comes down to is that it's your log and you can do anything you want to with it. Log 8 glasses of vodka as your water intake if you want. There's no rules here, nobody checking up on you. I choose to not even bother with the silly water tracker feature. I may fall over all dried up and dead someday because I rarely drink plain water but in 55 years it hasn't happened yet so I think I'm going to be OK.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What it comes down to is that it's your log and you can do anything you want to with it. Log 8 glasses of vodka as your water intake if you want. There's no rules here, nobody checking up on you. I choose to not even bother with the silly water tracker feature. I may fall over all dried up and dead someday because I rarely drink plain water but in 55 years it hasn't happened yet so I think I'm going to be OK.

You NEVER drink plain water? You are a medical marvel if you are still alive. Everything else just sucks all the water OUT of your body!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Constantly repeating 'coffee is a diuretic' doesn't make it true...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

You NEVER drink plain water? You are a medical marvel if you are still alive. Everything else just sucks all the water OUT of your body!

Not very often. I've had at least 5 cups of tea today, 3 diet sodas, and a couple cups of almond milk along with soup for lunch and an apple. I'm feeling pretty well hydrated too!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I drink a gallon of diet soda a day, and no water. I literally pee dust.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Think about this logically: Adding tea (or any flavoring) to water does not change the water into anything else.

Many people choose not to count those things, but their bodies still recognize the water.

And LMAO at classifying tea as "garbage."
    NOT TRUE AT ALL. Tea and coffee both contain caffeine which acts as a diuretic which in turn could actually cause dehydration, even caffeine free tea contains catechins which acts as a diuretic. Not only will it cause dehydration, but it also flushes out the vitamins and nutrients from your body caffeine depletes calcium from your bones, leading to osteoporosis. Only water is water.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options

So, tea is NOT water.

But the water in which you brew the tea does not cease to be water when you add tea, on a molecular level. So, while the tea is not water, the water it's in is still water.
    Lol, wrong again. Yes, I'm in college chemistry. It is actually a chemical reaction because it relies on the chemical properties of water and of the substances in the tea leaf. These substances-tannins, caffeine, and many others-dissolve in the hot water. The heat accelerates the reaction, but it is not a physical change. (Try steeping a tea bag in cold water-eventually you will get tea, although it will taste a bit different, probably because heat affects the dissolution of the various substances at different rates.) It's a chemical reaction therefore it does change the molecular properties of the water. Don't you just love how people try to sound smart, when they have no clue what they are talking about?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Don't you just love how people try to sound smart, when they have no clue what they are talking about?
    Oh, the irony.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    "Only water is water" - Everyone who doesn't have an elementary-school-level understanding of chemistry.

Seriously! Honestly, it's shocking how many people have forgotten elementary level chemistry! I remember learning about molecules and solutions back in 6th grade. And amazing how people with obviously no science background feel qualified to give such opinionated responses.