Water intake, Does Tea count and Coffee???

Options

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    ww1.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Jesus turned water into wine, so wine should definitely count towards water intake.

This is Christian thinking I could definitely get behind.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    If you are on WW, at least 1/2 your "water" should be water. Caffinated drinks don't count at all. Stick to the "crystal tea" (water). Hot water w/lemmon isn't bad during the winter.
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So does Ice count?

What about tap water, that has flouride?

If I inhaled 8 cups of steam, would that count?

What if a Gnat got into my water & I accidently swallowed it? Would that not still be water or would my liver consider that Gnat soup?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you are on WW, at least 1/2 your "water" should be water. Caffinated drinks don't count at all. Stick to the "crystal tea" (water). Hot water w/lemmon isn't bad during the winter.

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

That requirement changed with PointsPlus. EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T ALCOHOL COUNTS. Oy. No wonder so many people fail on WW. You don't even know the program you're following.
  • carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Jesus turned water into wine, so wine should definitely count towards water intake.

:happy:
  • carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread- I think I'll go on a K cup diet. There is such a variety now- all the food groups are covered ! i love my Keurig and it's so simple.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You're shortchanging your body if you count tea and other garbage as water. WATER counts as water. Nothing else.

I just laughed reading this.

Maybe if you're drinking Snapple or other sugary crap, I'd count that separately but personally, I add a cup of water each time I have a cup of tea. I drink whole leaf, unsweetened tea and it keeps me hydrated. If I were to count 8 separate glasses of water to the 3-5 cups of tea I drink a day, I'd just be pissing out all my vitamins.. hahaha
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you add sugar to a glass of water, does it still count as sugar?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What if a Gnat got into my water & I accidently swallowed it? Would that not still be water or would my liver consider that Gnat soup?
    Sorry, can't count it according to the (flawed) logic in most of this thread. That gnat is now in solution and has instantly and completely negated the hydrating effects of that cup of water, because, well, it's not "just water" anymore. If you have an 8-ounce glass full of water sitting in front of you and you put anything into it, it somehow becomes "anti-water" even though the glass is just as full as it was before of that same liquid. smh.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Water is a diuretic too, though. Not true? Go drink 2 gallons of water and then try to avoid peeing.
    This made me LOL.

I was also thinking after my original post about putting sugar into water, something we did in a middle school chemistry class. The teacher was making the point that when you add sugar to water, that the sugar is suspended into the water, not a part of it. You can't see it until you added too much sugar and the solution "collapsed" and the sugar started reforming at the bottom of the glass. If you let the solution evaporate, you were left with... sugar! It's how they make rock candy, after all, you just add a string to the solution for the sugar to form around while the water evaporates.

Sugar + water = sugar + water not some strange new chemical compound. The same is true of tea, coffee, Crystal Light or whatever you choose to add to your water.
  • kmorganlfc
    Options
    Sugar + water = sugar + water not some strange new chemical compound. The same is true of tea, coffee, Crystal Light or whatever you choose to add to your water.

Of course. That's because there is a PHYSICAL PROCESS taking place and not a CHEMICAL REACTION.

I'n 50 years of age and I knew this at the age of eleven. I'm astounded by some peoples absolute lack of understanding basic scientific principles. I think what may be confusing people can also be linguistic. Because we call the solution of coffee+water simply coffee (which masks the water component) it becomes, in their minds, a new entity = coffee.

You can filter out the coffee from the water using paper filters and be left with coffee powder and pure water, and guess what? Your intestines can do the same thing too, and they do it all the time.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I just laughed so hard reading this whole thread that I got my ab workout in for the day.

I also drank 16 oz of tea (meyer lemon from Stash), and 20 oz of water w/ a very small amount of crystal light "pure" added to it... Oh, and don't forget my breakfast smoothie that had 10 oz of water too. So.... I either drank 0 water, or over 5 cups worth...

Hmmm. I guess I'll just go update my water tracker and call it good! Besides, it's time for lunch! Gotta go put some food ontop of the water that is in my stomach. :laugh: :laugh:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Gotta go put some food ontop of the water that is in my stomach. :laugh: :laugh:
    Don't!!
    You'll die of dehydration donchaknow.
  • kaklos
    kaklos Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't add coffee and tea to your water intake, as long as you're logging the coffee and tea into your daily calories, and being sure to add any milk, sugars, creamer, etc. as well.

I drink coffee every morning with protein powder added as a creamer and SF syrup. I log each item and I count it as water. Throughout the day, I drink water with flavor packs added to it. I log the flavor packs and I count it as water! I feel as long as I am counting the added calories I am still getting the liquid intake!
  • Blondie_05
    Options
    Water = Water.
    I log everything else as the actual item.

Coffee is logged as coffee, tea is logged as tea, etc.

Water is logged as water.

^ Same..
  • kmorganlfc
    Options
    Just realised, there are some posts on here that say that OXIDATION takes place between chemicals in tea and the oxygen in the water. If this is true, then hydrogen would be left over. Wow!!! we've solved a major world energy problem. Car engines have been designed to run on hydrogen, which can be very environmentally friends as the only waste product is water (oops, I think that may confuse some people). The primary reason why these engines havent really taken off is because there isnt a geat abundance of hydrogen floating around the atmosphere that can be used as fuel. It can be seperated from water which sounds great given all the water there is on the planet. But the only problem with that is the seperation procedure requires far more energy to perform that can ever be gained from the resulting hydrogen.

But after reading this thread, I'm going to make sure I get that patent off first for simply extracting hydrogen from water by mixing it with tea or coffee. Something tellsme this isnt quite right, though. As hydrogen is naturally very volatile and I've never seen a kitchen explode after brewing a cup.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Just realised, there are some posts on here that say that OXIDATION takes place between chemicals in tea and the oxygen in the water. If this is true, then hydrogen would be left over. Wow!!! we've solved a major world energy problem. Car engines have been designed to run on hydrogen, which can be very environmentally friends as the only waste product is water (oops, I think that may confuse some people). The primary reason why these engines havent really taken off is because there isnt a geat abundance of hydrogen floating around the atmosphere that can be used as fuel. It can be seperated from water which sounds great given all the water there is on the planet. But the only problem with that is the seperation procedure requires far more energy to perform that can ever be gained from the resulting hydrogen.

But after reading this thread, I'm going to make sure I get that patent off first for simply extracting hydrogen from water by mixing it with tea or coffee. Something tellsme this isnt quite right, though. As hydrogen is naturally very volatile and I've never seen a kitchen explode after brewing a cup.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've said it before on these debates, but I'll throw my two cents in again - I only count water as water. Big picture, I might look at other stuff I drink during the day as "fluid intake", but only water gets logged as water in my book, and I drink black coffee & unsweetened iced tea, no significant calories. :tongue:

But drinking coffee & tea all day does not make my urine light yellow or clear like water does. And the first time I donated blood, it was spur of the moment at a blood drive, and I had had nothing but cereal and coffee that morning. They had a rough time finding my vein, and when they finally got it, filling that pint took forEVER! They asked if I'd had any water to drink that morning, and I told them no, just coffee. They all nodded knowingly and said a-ha!

Now when I donate blood (and since I've made it a habit to drink water before I even get to my coffee in the morning), I make sure I've had plenty of water first, and I'm often in and out of the chair before people who started their pint before I did.

So yeah, drinking fluids is important, and we get water from other sources (food, other drinks, etc), but for logging, just water is water. And 8 glasses a day isn't a magic number, but a guideline - as others have said, drink enough to keep your pee the right color - if its dark yellow, you need more water, if it's clear, you could probably back off. If it's hot out, you'll need more, if it's cold, you might need less. If you're thirsty, by all means, have a glass of water. :bigsmile:

whatever you are doing is obviously working great cuz you look mahvelous! :smile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

You clearly haven't been at my home on the mornings I make myself a cup of coffee and forget to make my wife one.