Looking for a good bread replacement

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Joseph's brand makes some good replacements. I use the lavash bread or the low carb pitas- they have a full line of stuff to choose from. I get them online at Netrition.com, but I've heard of some WalMarts and other stores having the brand. Depends where you live, I suppose.

Even if you're not trying to avoid (blank), Joseph's brand is low-calorie, lower carb, higher protein/fiber and really, really tasty. I found it at Walmart next to the deli counter.

http://www.josephsbakery.com/
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I use real bread (ya know, the good 100+ cals a slice kind), but if I'm watching my carbs that day/trying to save a bit of cals, I'll just do an openfaced sammich.

But seriously, life is too short for crappy bread. I used to eat that 45 calorie stuff from Sara Lee. I thought it tasted good, but then I switched back to the good stuff, and realized how horrible it was.

Though, the flat out wraps are decent. I'll concede to that.
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Flat Outs Light. They are delicious, low cal and high in fiber.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Why replace it? Surely you have room in your cals and macros for a few slices of bread per day?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You can make a kind of bread from some oat bran, natural yoghurt and egg... It toasts well, it's not too carby and it has the bread texture!
  • auroranflash
    Options
    I use real bread (ya know, the good 100+ cals a slice kind), but if I'm watching my carbs that day/trying to save a bit of cals, I'll just do an openfaced sammich.

But seriously, life is too short for crappy bread. I used to eat that 45 calorie stuff from Sara Lee. I thought it tasted good, but then I switched back to the good stuff, and realized how horrible it was.

Though, the flat out wraps are decent. I'll concede to that.

I'm a sucker for good bread... I am also guilty of the 45 calorie & delightful Sara Lee, but when compared to real bread, it's paper thin. My boyfriend doesn't mind it because he doesn't like very thick bread anyway and usually ends up removing part of his hamburger/sandwich bun or pizza crust. Not because of carbs, just out of habit I think. And then whatever part he's removed, I usually snatch from his plate and eat myself. :devil: Good crust should never go to waste.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    This makes me sad :cry:

Is it not possible to fit some bread into your daily calories and macros?
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love the Flat Out's and Sara Lee 45 calorie bread
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Try Wasa Crispbread!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Why replace it? Surely you have room in your cals and macros for a few slices of bread per day?
    bread.gif
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Ryvita crispbreads, low calorie, but with lots of different flavours. Includes pumpkin seed, oats, red onion even a sweet one with cranberries. Top them with whatever you like, they have a reasonable protein count especially the pumpkin seed ones.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but good bread is just not replaceable. Then again, if you haven't been to Europe, you haven't tasted good bread to begin with.

Haha sorry, this is so not helpful..
    :p
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I use When Pigs Fly Low Carb Wheat 70 cals per slice.

I also use Joseph's - Pita Bread- Flax, Oat Bran, & Whole Wheat 60 cals
  • auroranflash
    Options
    This makes me sad :cry:

Is it not possible to fit some bread into your daily calories and macros?

Most definitely. You don't need to cut it out entirely. Some days, though, you may want lower carb options. Macros and all.... If bread really did make you fat, I'd give up and be fat, because :heart: bread.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you're so inclined, you can bake some bread and slice it really thinly - denser, German-style breads are great for this. Of course, you need to like the idea of making bread, and you need a good knife to slice it thinly! Oh, and I guess you should like the bread you make. If you're into whole-grain breads, I'd suggest the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. Every recipe I've tried has turned out wonderfully; sometimes homemade whole-wheat bread is really heavy, but these recipes (the ones that are supposed to be, anyway) make soft, light, delicious bread. It's my favorite collection of bread recipes!

http://www.amazon.com/Laurels-Kitchen-Bread-Book-Whole-Grain/dp/0812969677
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Flat Out wraps are good, but I usually buy light wheat bread. Both my grocery store brand and Country Kitchen brand have 35 calories per slice.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love martins potato bread!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the almond variety but must say the coconut flour one was pretty bad. The blend of egg whites and coconut didn't go well taste-wise.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    a fork and knife?