PALEO (Cavemen) Eaters...

Options
This is something I'm wanting to jump on to at the beginning of the year.

Do you swear by it? Any of you think it's not worth it? Better than counting calories?

Need some advice from those who've done it before !

Thanks in advance

Replies

• testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

Do you swear by it? Any of you think it's not worth it? Better than counting calories?

Thanks in advance

tried it for 3 days hated life, went back to being a modern human.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance

Go for it and do crossfit, that way you can become Elite™
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Better than counting calories?

Whatever you think of it, it's not an alternative to calorie counting.
  • divincenzo1
    Options
    I did the 30 day version of this....it wasn't bad but it hard....there is a lot of cooking and limitations to what you can eat/drink. I lost I think 16lbs doing this for the 30 days. HOWEVER, I did not find it sustainable....once my 30 days were up I pretty much gained all the weight back....depriving myself of bread, alcohol and other items I enjoy turned out to be a very bad idea. I find this would be helpful for a quick fix (if you're needing to lose some weight) OR if you are alreaday at a weight you arecomfortable with it's good to tone your body....again it just really depends on your lifestyle and if this is something you want to commit to. For me, I prefer counting calories because I can have whatever I want...within reason :)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Do you see yourself eating this way for the rest of your life?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    cavemen were extremely healthy and lived for a long time.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

^This! If the answer is "no", then why do it to begin with?
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Eating more natural is a good way to go. if you need some help determining what fits and what doesn't there's a great app out that can help you:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paleo-central/id579924486?ls=1&mt=8
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cavemen ate primarily nuts and berries with some random amounts of meat thrown in - usually scavenged (i.e. carrion), There is also documentation of them being cannibals. Good luck with that.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

^^ I second both of these!!!
  • 141by2016
    Options
    www.marksdailyapple.com

Good place for info.
  • carolinemisspretty
    Options
    i tried it for a week and i felt really sick
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    www.marksdailyapple.com

Good place for biased, mostly useless info.

Fixed
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It breaks down to a glorified low carb diet if you think about. The majority of your carbs come from complex carbs, the only simple carbs are fruit. Its just not sustainable. The food just doesn't supply enough energy. Cross fitters on this must load up on caffeine and pre-workout energy supplements to have enough energy to make it through a workout. I tried it and my energy levels were out of wack.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

^^ With all my attempts to lose weight, I realized I need to find something that will last with me forever.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    We have been doing just low carb, not nec. paleo so its easier to live by
    Meat/Fish/poultry, nuts, all veggies, dark berries, and yes dairy :-) staying around 50 carbs a day and very little sugar
    it works and is more sustainable to far. I feel better less bloated. Still have drinks just stick with liquor and soda or diet drinks

Staying away from extra sugary fruit, sweets, bread, pasta, rice, etc.

I would highly suggest it :-)
    I would be afraid Paleo would be too extreme to maintain but good luck!
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I did something very similar and lasted about 7 days. I was so grouchy my friends had to sit me down and tell me to join the human race again.... There is no food (or lack thereof) that is worth losing my happiness over.

And as others have said, you gain it back in the blink of an eye...
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    cavemen were extremely healthy and lived for a long time.

Cavemen also didn't have access to doctors, home that wasn't a cave, and x-amount of more lion/bear attacks than the norm today.

[/quote]

^^ With all my attempts to lose weight, I realized I need to find something that will last with me forever.
    [/quote]

I'm just looking for advice from those who have done it, to see what they thought of it, and any success as an alternative as normally it doesn't require a calorie deficiency.

I really have no issue at eating maintenance amount of calories, so this is only for X amount of time, until I'm do or don't see results (3-6mo).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Formerly strict adherent to paleo, now slightly more relaxed. It generally works because it has you inevitably eating "healthier" foods than you did before. It isn't a substitute for counting calories, because ultimately, it is the calorie deficit that leads to weight loss, but it can be very helpful in attaining that calorie deficit. Also, done right, it seems to be a rather healthy approach...(and by "done right", I don't mean buying paleo cookies, paleo bread, etc. JERF. Just Eat Real Food. And keep an eye on your overall vitamin/mineral intake. A "good" diet should mostly cover those.)

Bulking on it, however, is a b!tch. That's why I gave up my Paleo Card and started eating more rice, white potatoes, and even *gasp* ice cream. I just couldn't get the calories I wanted (~3000) while staying strict about it (and would usually only eat around 2300ish daily, which is about maintenance for me). I rationalize that I'm eating these mostly-non-paleo foods *in addition to* a base of generally healthy foods, but...

(You think I'm just making an excuse to eat these foods because I like to eat them? Eh, that's probably legit.)

Oh, and this thread will probably blow up. Most paleo threads do. For some people, the very idea of the paleo approach to eating causes them severe anguish and they will use the forums to vent their pain. Sure, plenty of them will have good points to consider (often buried deep within their anger), but a few of them will just be lashing out for no apparent reason. If it gets too crazy, there's always a paleo group where you can find a more calm (albeit more pro-paleo-biased) discussion.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

ETA: Oh, and the best approach to this is, read up on what "paleo" is and isn't (as there are a lot of misconceptions (and some disagreement within the community), then try it for at least a month. I just read that you're willing to try it for 3-6 months, so yeah, that's perfect. Give it a shot, see what you think, and if it makes you miserable (as it does for some), stop; if it makes you feel better/great (as it does for some), continue.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    And as others have said, you gain it back in the blink of an eye...

not really in a blink of an eye or all unless you return to a caloric surplus

OP...as you can see, there is a small group of people here who like to mock anything they dont do. ignore them.

do some reading on it. It is too restrictive for me but there are some parts of it that are ok.

you will still need to count calories if you need to lose or control your weight

check it out. It isn't a magical thing and just has a stupid name