PALEO (Cavemen) Eaters...

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Cavemen ate primarily nuts and berries with some random amounts of meat thrown in - usually scavenged (i.e. carrion), There is also documentation of them being cannibals. Good luck with that.

This, the so-called paleo diet is literally the opposite of what paleo humans actually ate. They were mostly vegetarian and over half of their calories came from carbs, with very little protein and fat. The entire marketing scheme is just silly.

Agreed. Also, insects probably were a regular feature of the daily menu, too. While the title is truly misleading, this is an interesting article on paleo:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

Edited to add: I wish you success no matter what you decide to do. Sometimes, mixing things up and doing something new is valuable in and of itself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cavemen ate primarily nuts and berries with some random amounts of meat thrown in - usually scavenged (i.e. carrion), There is also documentation of them being cannibals. Good luck with that.

This, the so-called paleo diet is literally the opposite of what paleo humans actually ate. They were mostly vegetarian and over half of their calories came from carbs, with very little protein and fat. The entire marketing scheme is just silly.

Agreed. Also, insects probably were a regular feature of the daily menu, too. While the title is truly misleading, this is an interesting article on paleo:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

Edited to add: I wish you success no matter what you decide to do. Sometimes, mixing things up and doing something new is valuable in and of itself.

I would say the author's footnote #6 is a problem. His definition of "vegetarian" more closely resembles a common interpretation of a "paleo" diet than a common interpretation of a "vegetarian" diet. (In other words, I think he redefined the word "vegetarian" to better support his title.)

Also, I think the author may have went back just a little *too* far in history.

(And VoV, I see what you did there with your ETA. Very subtle. And nicely played.)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have never tried it but i know people who have. from what they told me, it wasn't the best thing for them.
    if you want to be healthy, maybe just go with eating clean, unprocessed foods and stay away from sugary crap. that usually works pretty well for the long term. lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I would say the author's footnote #6 is a problem. His definition of "vegetarian" more closely resembles a common interpretation of a "paleo" diet than a common interpretation of a "vegetarian" diet. (In other words, I think he redefined the word "vegetarian" to better support his title.)

(And VoV, I see what you did there with your ETA. Very subtle. And nicely played.)

The Scientific American article is absolutely mistitled, and is admittedly flawed, but makes some interesting points. I'm not sure I would characterize my ETA as a 'play', since I was sincerely reacting to earlier posts on this thread which suggested that if paleo wasn't the OP's longterm goal, he shouldn't try it. I read that mixing things up periodically is a good thing in the National Weight Control Registry--probably the best data on people in that 5% of successful weight maintainers.

Edit: Typos, and syntax errors.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
  • bluestar280
    Options
    I did this intensely (as in no cheating) and I lost 6 lbs in one week. I've somehow managed to keep that off, which makes about 15+ lbs that I've lost in the past couple months.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think paleo is a ridiculous bunch of lies, sensationalist fad. Cavemen totally did not eat like that. I eat clean but paleo is just a gimmick. I try to do more like 40-30-30.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    That's pretty funny, although ridiculously correlated. My diet is mostly plant based but I also eat animal protein and I'm fairly lean and toned. I did find that most of the plant based authors looked quite skeletal and anemic, so who ever produced this probably had their rose colored glasses on, personally I would have photo shopped then to look healthier.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

The Scientific American article is absolutely mistitled, and is admittedly flawed, but makes some interesting points. I'm not sure I would characterize my ETA as a 'play', since I was sincerely reacting to earlier posts on this thread which suggested that if paleo wasn't the OP's longterm goal, he shouldn't try it. I read that mixing things up periodically is a good thing in the National Weight Control Registry--probably the best data on people in that 5% of successful weight maintainers.

Indeed.

And I meant absolutely nothing negative about my "nicely played" comment. I thought your suggestion that OP consider "mixing things up and doing something new" was a hint towards some other ways of eating. (Or maybe it was so subtle that you yourself didn't see what you did there. =P )

Edit: if I'm going to quote myself, I should at least use the right words.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Is this in any way related to "paleo"?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

lolwut?

Did durianridrr make that? Gotta love over-zealous Vegans. :3
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Indeed.

And I meant absolutely nothing negative about my "nicely played" comment. I thought your suggestion that OP consider "mixing things up and doing something new" was a hint towards some other ways of eating. (Or maybe it was so subtle that you yourself didn't see what you did there. =P )

Or maybe you are seeing something that isn't there? Just maybe.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating 100% of the time wouldn't work for myself (or many others here I'm sure). It's a commitment that you make and I'm not that committed to not eating ice cream or cake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating 100% of the time wouldn't work for myself (or many others here I'm sure). It's a commitment that you make and I'm not that committed to not eating ice cream or cake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have never heard even one proponent of this eating plan come anywhere near saying you must eat 100% clean and I doubt you have either.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Wow - BOOM....

Paleo to me is simply a form of clean eating...it is NOT a low Carb way of eating...love the misconception that if you eat this way you will loose weight...also the misconception that all you do is eat meat.

As a pp stated there are many different variations out there in describing what exactly Paleo is - you have a bunch of people who have thier finger in the "Paleo pot" whose livelyhood depends on spouting off information about what they envision Paleo to be. I have read a lot of diffent books, blogs and articles...I don't anything as absolute but rather as information I choose to apply how I see fit to my daily lifestyle.

I "follow" a paleo/primal way of life - I find it easier to give myself a set of perimeters in which to choose the foods to fuel my body....does that mean I never eat "bad" things - no...I do...I simply don't make it easy to fit it into my life - it becomes the exception rather then the rule.

My perimeters are
    Meats - usually turkey, chicken, venison, some pork and some beef (mainly cause I am not a big beef fan)
    Veggies - all sorts of veggies - raw, roasted, blended, etc...
    Nuts - almonds, pecans, fresh almond butter
    Fruits - I do try to stick to lower sugar fruits like berries or small apples
    Dairy - little dairy in the form of half and half, cheeses from time to time and greek yogurt on occassion (This is why I consider myself Primal because I include dairy)
    Fats - olive, coconut and avocado oils

I drink water, coffee and tea - maybe a few times a year I will have some alcohol

to me eating "Paleo/Primal" is a form of clean eating in which I choose not to make certain foods a regular part of my diet - much like someone who is a Vegan....

Is it a good way of eating for everyone - heck no - people are different.

A few things...

1) Changing your eating style form one of no -conscience to one of thought - chances are you are going to loose weight because you become more aware of what you are eating and limiting what you are eating...in the end if you burn more than you take in you are probably going to loose weight. So when you hear stories of someone loosing 10-20-30 pounds on a diet is it truely the "diet" or is it because they are limiting their intake vs what they ate previously (and chances are when people decide to take control of thier eating they usually become more active as well) and therefore the calorie burn is higher in relation to what they put in thier body

2) Your body becomes accustom to what you put into it and will change to accomodate what you feed it. Food can be an addiction - just like alcohol and cigarettes. Making any sort of significant change in your eating style all at once is probably going to make you feel like crap for a little while as your body adjusts....a few people on here stated they "tried" it for a week and felt awful....yeah if you are used to eating a tone of heavy grain foods, processed foods, chemical laden drinks and then gave all that up for a week your body will go through a "withdrawl" period and you will feel like crap - just like now if I were to spend a week eating processed food and sodas I would feel like crap because my body is now not used to all that stuff. A general rule for any change is 30 days...give something 30 days to see if it makes any sort of difference in your life...be it diet, exercise, etc...it galls me to hear people say "Oh I tried that for a week it didn't work so I wouldn't do it"....that's like me saying "I worked for a week but it didn't make me rich so I guess I will stop working"

3) so many misconceptions about Paleo abound -
    IT IS NOT LOW CARB - sure you can make it low carb and in many cases people will reduce their carb intake quite a bit because you are choosing to give up grains as part of your daily diet - but you can easily eat a ton of carbs via higher sugar fruits and veggies - fo me PERSONALLY in order to loose weight I do have to keep my carb count fairly low - but this is not true for everyone...I know a lot of people IRL that follow the same eating style as myself and they eat a fair amount of carbs everyday
    IT IS NOT A WEIGHT LOSS "DIET" - yes it can help you loose weight...but like I said above a bulk of that is probably because you become more aware of what you are putting into your body. Furthermore by changing your diet to incorporate a lot of nutrient dense veggies and good for you meats and fats - you get a lot more food for less calories and can be satitied for a longer period of time which leads to less grazing. Like the above...some of the people I know eat a Paleo way to actually bulk up and gain weight
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO EAT EVERYTHING ORGANIC - While I do shop at local Farmers Market and do buy things liek grass fed beef from time to time I dont' buy everything with an organic seal on it. If I can get something organic at a comparable price I will buy it but I am not going to pay $2 more for organic broccilli or rasberries then the other counterparts

I found Paleo after slowly taking things out of my daily eating...started with getting rid of sodas, then really lessened my dependance on packaged convience food, then cut out most crappy snacks, and got to a point where I wanted to give my body the best I could - Does this mean I don't eat outside the Paleo realm - no - I do but like I said at the beginning it is an exception and not a rule - I dont' "build in" ice cream everyday/week - but hey if I am out with my kids and we decide to stop for ice cream I'll have a few bites (I actually find it too much for me now - 2-3 bites and I am satisfied) - if I am out with friends and the place we go has amazing bread - I'll have a piece.

My suggestion is to read and read and read some more and see if eating ANY CERTAIN WAY works for you, your body and your lifestyle try it - but try it for 30 days...if you see differences (and be aware differences may not be seen on a scale...they could be in how you feel or how you sleep or your skin, your hair, maybe it's internal and you are lowering your cholesterol) then yeah for you - if you feel it doesn't work for you and it is more a hinderence than a help then choose something different...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Indeed.

Or maybe you are seeing something that isn't there? Just maybe.

Totally possible.

(I had that same thought after posting it, but was too lazy (and too in bed and away from the computer) to go back and edit it in.)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    That's pretty funny, although ridiculously correlated. My diet is mostly plant based but I also eat animal protein and I'm fairly lean and toned. I did find that most of the plant based authors looked quite skeletal and anemic, so who ever produced this probably had their rose colored glasses on, personally I would have photo shopped then to look healthier.

Agreed with this assessment. I watched the vid and at first I was like WTF but then I started LOLing.

All the physiques in that vid are good examples of why you should probably do some resistance work while dieting. Another reason why Taubes is a plague --- although I still don't think a low carb diet is dangerous or promotes obesity, that's just total nonsense.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options

My perimeters are
    Meats - usually turkey, chicken, venison, some pork and some beef (mainly cause I am not a big beef fan)
    Dairy - little dairy in the form of half and half, cheeses from time to time and greek yogurt on occassion (This is why I consider myself Primal because I include dairy)

Thanks for the insight for the diet plan! And everything else you stated in your post.

I'm most likely going to taper in to 100% Paleo over the course of a couple weeks, stay for a month, and then probably sway back to something revolving what you have above. I'm midwestern; I like my cheese.

I'm also going to be reading up on some websites and (maybe) a book by authors suggested by messages I've received on here.

Thanks again
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

My perimeters are

Thanks for the insight for the diet plan! And everything else you stated in your post.

I'm most likely going to taper in to 100% Paleo over the course of a couple weeks, stay for a month, and then probably sway back to something revolving what you have above. I'm midwestern; I like my cheese.

I'm also going to be reading up on some websites and (maybe) a book by authors suggested by messages I've received on here.

Thanks again

Enjoy your highly restrictive way of eating, that you will most likely just give up when you want to have something youve been craving.