PALEO (Cavemen) Eaters...

Options

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

My perimeters are
    Meats - usually turkey, chicken, venison, some pork and some beef (mainly cause I am not a big beef fan)
    Veggies - all sorts of veggies - raw, roasted, blended, etc...
    Nuts - almonds, pecans, fresh almond butter
    Fruits - I do try to stick to lower sugar fruits like berries or small apples
    Dairy - little dairy in the form of half and half, cheeses from time to time and greek yogurt on occassion (This is why I consider myself Primal because I include dairy)
    Fats - olive, coconut and avocado oils

Thanks for the insight for the diet plan! And everything else you stated in your post.

I'm most likely going to taper in to 100% Paleo over the course of a couple weeks, stay for a month, and then probably sway back to something revolving what you have above. I'm midwestern; I like my cheese.

I'm also going to be reading up on some websites and (maybe) a book by authors suggested by messages I've received on here.

Thanks again

Enjoy your highly restrictive way of eating, that you will most likely just give up when you want to have something youve been craving.

How is it highly restrictive? because I choose not to have spagetti or I don't have ice cream and candy everyday?

I have been eating this way for about a year now and don't find it restrictive...did you read my full posting or just the one that the person responded to ... I did mention that I occassionally have something that falls outside of the perimeters if the situation presents itself I simply don't make it part of my everyday eating style....

I am going to my aunts with my kids tommorrow for an all day cookie baking fest. I'm am sure I will have a cookie or two...no big whoop...like I said when the situation presents itself....I don't keep cookies around and adjust my diet so I can have cookies as part of my eating style...

I really scratch my head when people say it is restrictive...I can go just about anywhere and make CHOICES that fit into the perimeters I set for myself...heck even at McDonalds I can get myself a salad with grilled chicken (now granted the chicken is somewhat questionable) - I choose not to eat the croutons and usually don't use the dressing ( I prefer a homemade dressing of EVOO, Balsamic vingar and ground mustard) - If I go to a resturant like Buffalo Wild Wings I order the naked tenders with a sauce on the side with a side salad (and probably flinch a fried pickle or two from my hubby)- easy peasey - not restrictive at all

Part of ANY eating style is finding what works for you and what you can maintain. if you feel you are constantly depriving yourself of something then obviously then that eating style is not for you. It is about making CHOICES and in some effect finding a different set of perimeters - and maybe changing your perimeters you may find yourself wanting or craving different foods than what you had before - is that going to change overnight, in a week - no probably not...You could sit a whole ice cream buffet in front of me and I probably wouldn't care...stick a nice rare steak in front of me with some roasted broccilli and we are talking...

As far as deprivation goes...you have to decide within yourself what is deprivation to you. I don't see not using bread for sandwiches as deprivation (I use boston or romaine lettuce leaves - there is an awesome sub shop here that has lettuce leaves as an alternate option then sub rolls...hands down some of the best subs I have had) - but someone else may...and if that is the issue then they shouldn't do a Paleo eating style - simple as that
  • twinmom01
    Options

My perimeters are
    Meats - usually turkey, chicken, venison, some pork and some beef (mainly cause I am not a big beef fan)
    Veggies - all sorts of veggies - raw, roasted, blended, etc...
    Nuts - almonds, pecans, fresh almond butter
    Fruits - I do try to stick to lower sugar fruits like berries or small apples
    Dairy - little dairy in the form of half and half, cheeses from time to time and greek yogurt on occassion (This is why I consider myself Primal because I include dairy)
    Fats - olive, coconut and avocado oils

Thanks for the insight for the diet plan! And everything else you stated in your post.

I'm most likely going to taper in to 100% Paleo over the course of a couple weeks, stay for a month, and then probably sway back to something revolving what you have above. I'm midwestern; I like my cheese.

I'm also going to be reading up on some websites and (maybe) a book by authors suggested by messages I've received on here.

Thanks again

Forgot to add -
    Seafood - fish - we eat a lot of tuna and salmon - both fresh frozen (usually from Trader Joes) steaks and canned for tuna salad (with homemade mayo) and salmon cakes - also shellfish - I adore shrimp, crab, scallops

I am spice ho and have a ton of spices so easy enough to chop up some chicken, pork, shrimp, in a pan season it up - throw a bag of fresh frozen veggies in and dinner in under 20 minutes
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Great for you.

But im not afraid of of wheat, and i prefer my sandwiches to be made with bread.

I like to eat what i want, so yes paleo has some arbitrary guidelines (based on bad science and hypothesis') that make it highly restrictive.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Please, if you really want to know about this lifestyle then do a little research, decide if it sounds right for you, then TRY it. You will get all kinds of information, personal experiences, and support by choosing to join a message board directly relating to this topic instead of just posing in the main forum. Most of the people on MFP that have the strongest opinions against eating this way have NEVER TRIED it. Yet, strangely, they are compelled to comment even though the thread does not pertain to them; which would be fine if they (some, not all) would not disrespect and ridicule people who actually have experience with the topic.

I have had incredible health improvements from changing my diet, and some of my health problems were immediately life-threatening. I have gotten to know other people here, and other places, that have had similar experiences. For me, the weight loss is just a nice bonus.
  • testease
    Options
    please,

i said i tried it. It sucked

Congrats on these health improvements. I havent needed improvments because i never let mine decline in the first place.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Cavemen ate primarily nuts and berries with some random amounts of meat thrown in - usually scavenged (i.e. carrion), There is also documentation of them being cannibals. Good luck with that.

You are being very incomplete with your "information". Paleolithic people had very different diets depending on where they lived and what food was available. Yes, scavenging was the main way to get meat. Very FEW paleolithic peoples were cannibals. Snippets of truth surrounded by over-generalizations.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Enjoy your highly restrictive way of eating, that you will most likely just give up when you want to have something youve been craving.
    [/quote]

That's just assinine. That's like implying an infrequent drinker will become a raving alcoholic after not drinking for a while and having a beer one night. Stop assuming your own lack of self control is a problem for the rest of the population. Some people can eat just one potato chip.
  • testease
    Options
    Hmm saying i lack self control? I actually eat what i want when i want. I learned to put the fork down, not eliminate foods.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Do you see yourself eating this way for the rest of your life?

^This! If the answer is "no", then why do it to begin with?

I'm paleo/primal and TOTALLY agree with the above. It is not an on and off plan to use just for weight loss. While I don't find the lifestyle difficult, and I love the food, I will be eating this way forever because of the health benefits. Whatever benefits gained from this lifestyle will be gone when one returns to their previous lifestyle. If it's not for you, don't bother with it. I enjoy it so much that it is not a struggle; if it were a constant struggle and I felt "deprived" I would not choose this lifestyle.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    i tried it for a week and i felt really sick

A week? Really? lol
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Hi Im on Atkins, I do very low carb and love it.
    Check out the low carb groups who might be much more supporting of this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Good luck

Wait, what?? I thought we were talking about paleo, not low carb.

Oh, I see what happened. Someone decided that paleo = low carb. Yeah, that happens a lot. If by low carb you mean 100-200g of carb, then yeah, I'd agree. Sure, paleo *can* be low carb, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

(This would be one of those misconceptions I referenced in my original post. There are a lot of them (including the life expectancy thing), and you'll inevitably see many of them in response to this thread).

Exactly. In one of the Paleo groups I belong to on Facebook there are people that are eating 0-10 grams of carbs, but then there are the body builders that are eating upwards of almost 200 grams of carbs per day.

Everything I have read and discussed with doctors is that your carb level should correspond with your activity level. So naturally, those that lead very active lives will have a much higher carb level than those that are more sedentary.

Yes, sometimes it gets confusing. Some paleo/primal are eating low carb but paleo does NOT equal low carb. I am one who chooses low carb. However, I eat NATURAL low carb foods (ie vegetables) and make up the missing macros with fat. I do it because that's what I need to do for my own health. Eventually, I will increase my carbs once those health issues (including obesity) are resolved. Activity level, or lack of, is an important factor.

Many of the low carb/Atkins followers will eat commercially processed "low carb" foods and artificial sweeteners; that is NOT paleo.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Cavemen ate primarily nuts and berries with some random amounts of meat thrown in - usually scavenged (i.e. carrion), There is also documentation of them being cannibals. Good luck with that.

This, the so-called paleo diet is literally the opposite of what paleo humans actually ate. They were mostly vegetarian and over half of their calories came from carbs, with very little protein and fat. The entire marketing scheme is just silly.

This blanket statement is incorrect. Correct for some peoples if one considers eating eggs, insects, molluscs, fish and scavenging from other animals kills as "vegetarian". For some people, their diet was almost totally fat and meat based. No paleolithic person would have avoided nutrient dense fat to chow down on a plant instead. They were trying to survive, after all. And fat tastes good; I wonder why?

The current form of paleo can have much, or little, to do with a true paleolithic diet. Technically, where I live, I could eat totally paleolithically if I chose and had the knowledge to do so (unfortunately I need my job). The point of paleo is to CHOOSE the least processed, healthiest food options while still living our lives in modern society. Quit being silly about the name.
  • twinmom01
    Options
    Great for you.

But im not afraid of of wheat, and i prefer my sandwiches to be made with bread.

I like to eat what i want, so yes paleo has some arbitrary guidelines (based on bad science and hypothesis') that make it highly restrictive.

Well that is great for you....what you are doing works well for you...

Eating clean, whole foods is bad science....hummm - you know at one time "science" said it was OK to smoke cigarettes and they were actually prescribed by Dr's

This is the issue I have with people on some of these boards...to lump everything into one little situation - the OP asked about Paleo - you could have simply said "Hey man I tried it and found it didn't work well for me" ...

I eat what I want when I want - and I put the fork down...I would just rather have some chicken instead of some pasta - no biggie...

And kudos to you for not letting your health decline...wonderful - for some of us we don't have a choice over some of our health issues and sometimes life and genetics throws you curve balls so we do have to figure out how to best nourish our bodies to make them work better for us. For some of us that does mean cutting out certain food groups...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not "eating clean, whole foods." There are many lists of foods you can eat and foods you cannot eat, and there are plenty of "clean, whole foods" on the do not eat list (nuts, beans, etc.)

So if you are just eating what you want, then you probably aren't actually eating "paleo."
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    please,

Congrats on these health improvements. I havent needed improvments because i never let mine decline in the first place.

Your attitude is totally indicative of a really trying something; did you try it for a day? a week? Did you "cheat"? lol

Congratulations that you had no health problems from eating a SAD diet. I did. And I'm doing something about it. If I listened to people like you, I would just stay sick and fat. But maybe you would like that because you would feel better about yourself for not letting your health "decline" as much as I did.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Paleo is not "eating clean, whole foods." There are many lists of foods you can eat and foods you cannot eat, and there are plenty of "clean, whole foods" on the do not eat list (nuts, beans, etc.)

So if you are just eating what you want, then you probably aren't actually eating "paleo."

Here we go again.... paleo definitely includes NUTS. But it doesn not include legumes. A peanut is a legume. Other nuts are nuts. If one has no trouble with legumes, then eat them. There are a whole bunch of us that do have trouble with certain foods; how did we find out? By eliminating them from the diet and then, surprise, we felt better. Strange, I know.
  • carl224
    carl224 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Paleo for a month, and I have lost 8 lbs so far. Without doing Paleo it was impossible for me to lose any weight no matter how much calorie counting and exercise I did, mainly because of my Thyroid issues.
    Currently I am pretty strict with my Paleo, but I plan to reintroduce some grains like wild rice and quinoa once I reach my weigh goal. There are a ton of blogs on "modified Paleo diet" which is catered towards more average diet. I think the thing you have to watch out for that is this does not become another Atkin's diet which is meat driven and you end up eating too much fat and cholesterol. And make sure you eat A LOT of vegetable and fruits, and drink a ton f water from not dehydrating. And Paleo weight loss is not shown overnight, it takes about 2 weeks to kick in.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You are being very incomplete with your "information". Paleolithic people had very different diets depending on where they lived and what food was available. Yes, scavenging was the main way to get meat. Very FEW paleolithic peoples were cannibals. Snippets of truth surrounded by over-generalizations.

Errrr - look at the title - use a generalized term, you get a generalized response. 'Snippets of truth surrounded by over-generalizations.' - yes, sounds like a lot of the paleo 'information' I have seen
  • twinmom01
    Options

As I stated in my first posting - there are many people with thier fingers in the "Paleo Pot" so there are all sorts of different "rules" depending on who and what you read...

yes beans are considered a no-no - and "nuts" like peanuts are also considered a no-no - tree nuts like Almonds, Pecans, Macademia, etc... are acceptable.

but guess what - I hate beans so cutting beans out was absolutely no problem...peanut butter - well i tried fresh ground almond butter and found i actually preferred that to a jar of Skippy...so no problem there

the thing is making conscience decisions about food....and changing the way you eat can affect your body and what you crave. I used to eat ice cream all the time...I don't anymore because my body and mind physically does not crave nor want it...when I do crave something sweet my mind goes to dried mango or dark chocolate - so I grab some of that and eat up

I think we are getting confused over the term deprivation and eating what you want...everyone has different "wants"

if someone told me I could never have potato chips again....I would be fine with it - I don't desire it - I don't want it - no biggie

if someone told me I could never have chocolate again - welllllllllll that wouldn't go over to well with me...

I think to many people get worked up and fixated over things that think they can't have vs things they can have...

I will say most of the people I know that eat a Paleo/ Primal lifestyle are not 100% strict...many of them do eat the "forbidden" foods from time to time - but like I said previously it isn't built into their daily eating style...like I said - on occassion I may have a piece of bread - I'm not going to go a Paleo Nazi and be all like I can't HAVE that bread...most of the time I simply choose not to but occassionally I indulge...

Part of it comes down to thinking of food as nutients and macros...rather then eating for simple pleasure - yes there is a pleasure in eating foods that taste great...but when I break down something like

hey I can have this chicken caprese sandwich....or for the same amount of calories, carbs, protiens with added nutrients I can have the chicken caprese without the fancy bun and have a side of a baked sweet potato - the choice to me is clear I would rather not eat the bread and instead have the sweet potato - someone else would rather have the bread...

Yes not everyone see it like I do and many in the Paleo community do- hence why people try to eat along the lines of paleo and make the decision for themselves that they personally truely can't live without pasta or black beans (sorry I find them soooo disgusting) or need to have a sandwich everyday for lunch - then yes the eating style is not condusive to thier life and lifestyle...

The wondeful thing about life is there is 1001 ways to come to the same end point - just look at stupid Dr. Oz - everyday there is a new Diet that you can try...and this one is sure to help you feel better and loose weight...nevermind the one showcased from the day before negates the one displayed today - so one person can take Route 3 and somone can take route 604 and wind up coming to the same endpoint
  • twinmom01
    Options
    please,

if you don't need improvements why did you see the need to loose 30+ lbs?