Why do people take 5 min breaks?

Options
124»

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I just don't like when they rest in between sets on the weight machines instead of just getting up and walking around or something.

If someone is hogging a bench or whatever, I just ask them if I can "work in". They might not be aware that someone is waiting. I've never gotten attitude back.

That's what I try to do. Some people are lifting heavier weights and they want the maximum rest time. It is selfish if they're monopolizing a bench, taking long breaks, and not letting others use the equipment. But generally, people don't have a problem if I ask to work in a set when they've just started their break.

Working out at a gym with relatively limited equipment can be very stressful. Whenever possible I try to avoid peak hours.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I use those five minutes to scope out the Yoga Pants in the gym. And then I need to access whether they're see-through....wait my official answer is because I'm tired.

3ra5n9.jpg
  • latinlore21
    Options
    Well I've never done heavy lifting, only normal strength training for toning, and I do have to use a bench for the free weight exercising, I do give my muscles a few minutes break by working different muscles in different sets, for example I start with 10 arm curls, then I stand up and do 10 squats, then 10 core exercises, etc. I guess is your own preference to do a set, wait 5 min then do another set, but it does get annoying for other people waiting to use a bench and people are just sitting there, not everybody feels comfortable asking people to use the bench between sets, and I can't always go when it's not busy. I guess those are the joys of going to a gym...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well I've never done heavy lifting, only normal strength training for toning, and I do have to use a bench for the free weight exercising, I do give my muscles a few minutes break by working different muscles in different sets, for example I start with 10 arm curls, then I stand up and do 10 squats, then 10 core exercises, etc. I guess is your own preference to do a set, wait 5 min then do another set, but it does get annoying for other people waiting to use a bench and people are just sitting there, not everybody feels comfortable asking people to use the bench between sets, and I can't always go when it's not busy. I guess those are the joys of going to a gym...

Ok then
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    this guy took my bench yesterday when i went to the fountain. :grumble:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I do not think you have quite grasped what people are trying to explain - when you do heavy lifting it is not a preference - it is a necessity to have a 3 - 5 minute rest on heavy sets.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I lift at home.

Sometimes I lay back on my bench and read between sets.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Because if you're training with really heavy weights, and going all out (max effort) like powerlifters etc, rest is very important. Longer breaks are needed than for say the average joe, for them to get their strength and energy back up for the next set. It is completely different to when you are using lighter weight as with that you can afford to just rest for 1 minute. My breaks seem to be approx 3-4 minutes I've found.

I wouldn't say that the people you're talking about are definitely those people, they may just be dossing! Either way, I can understand it's annoying, but it has to be done. Some people don't mind you working in with them, although if there's a huge difference in weights I'd rather just wait. I ask them before, how many sets they have left, so I can have a rough idea of what else I can go do in that time, or if it's just worth it to sit and wait (they sometimes only have 1 or 2 left!)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    one should take whatever break is necessary to ensure they will make the next set
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I do not think you have quite grasped what people are trying to explain - when you do heavy lifting it is not a preference - it is a necessity to have a 3 - 5 minute rest on heavy sets.

Wow! I can't believe she still doesn't get this!!! It is incredibly taxing on the body (and nervous system) to lift heavy. The body NEEDS a break!
  • zaph0d
    Options

how much strength have you gained doing that "strength training" routine?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    The people I see resting are normally men who are lifting less than me who then sit on whatever machine/bench they are using. I figure if u want to rest for 7 minutes n between lat pull down sets of 55 lbs then you should do it in your own space. Lol. If they were lifting heavy I'd get it. But theyre not.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I just don't like when they rest in between sets on the weight machines instead of just getting up and walking around or something.

What's your number, so when I go to the gym tomorrow night I can call you and ask you what to do next and how to do it. Sorry I don't work out the right way for you. Maybe someday.

Well it's really inconsiderate. The area I work out in is mostly women and they're lifting light and playing with their IPOD or talking to someone. If they're lifting that light, they can do circuits or if not, at the least offer to switch out with you. Dude up there: If you want to lift how you want to lift and be totally inconsiderate about it, buy your own equipment.
  • zaph0d
    Options
    Dude up there: If you want to lift how you want to lift and be totally inconsiderate about it, buy your own equipment.

done. that's why i get a kick out of these gym rant threads.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Some people just require more recovery time between sets. I'm one of them. Some people may be really struggling mentally & need that break to be able to keep going.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yoga Pants!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What's your number, so when I go to the gym tomorrow night I can call you and ask you what to do next and how to do it. Sorry I don't work out the right way for you. Maybe someday.

Well it's really inconsiderate. The area I work out in is mostly women and they're lifting light and playing with their IPOD or talking to someone. If they're lifting that light, they can do circuits or if not, at the least offer to switch out with you. Dude up there: If you want to lift how you want to lift and be totally inconsiderate about it, buy your own equipment.

So, the women only lift light - and they can work out how they want i.e. circuit style wile paying their gym fees but the peeps who want to lift heavy cannot lift how the NEED to lift even though they pay the same gym fees? Got it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I lift at home.

Sometimes I lay back on my bench and read between sets.

I help my kids with homework and skim leaves out of the pool between sets.