Things i wish i was told when i started my Journey.

Options
Ive spent the past 2 years expanding my knowledge, reading so much information and experimenting. This is my first try trying to give something back to the community. I enjoy getting involved, this has been another tool in helping me get my results, please feel free to friend me as i'm always happy to help.

Step One:
Forget all these myths and diets you hear of, most of them can be true under certain conditions, and for certain people, to start you need to forget everything that’s in magazines and what friends/family have said for years. You are the only one who can create a plan that will work, don’t let this discourage you though, as there are guidelines on how to get you where you want to be. It’s not hard or that serious - in the sense you need to be so obsessive over getting the perfect diet etc, so long as you follow the basics you will be successful, it does not matter if you’re not doing the most efficient method available, so long as it gets you to where you want to be.

Step Two:
Decide how you want to lose the weight and what time frame your happy with. A healthy plan would be to lose 1 to 2LB a week. You can achieve much higher rates of weight loss, however there are consequences and in the long term may not be the best for you.

Step Three:
You know how fast you now want to lose the weight, now you need to decide the body type you will be happy with. Do you want to be skinny or lean? What i mean is, do you want muscle definition(lean) when you get to your goal weight, or are you just desperate to lose the weight and your happy to have no muscle definition(skinny)?

Step Four:
Decide if you want to incorporate exercise into your plan.

Lean: Depending on your body fat percentage will depend on how fast you can lose weight without negatively effecting your muscle structure. You will need to incorporate strength training into your exercise plan, as you lose weight. Depending on how heavy you are, or your muscles will naturally decrease as you become lighter. Your body will not preserve muscle to support its previous “load” naturally. To avoid this and to further increase muscle mass, a strength training program is needed, you need to use it (muscles) or you will lose it. Apart from the cosmetic appeal to have a muscular/toned lean body, you will naturally have a higher metabolism with a high lean muscle mass compared to someone who is “skin and bone”. Somone who has more calories to play with are often more successful in the long run.

Skinny: If your happy to just loose the weight, you don’t need to worry about trying to increase or preserve muscle mass. This means you can do no exercise or just do low impact cardio (walking).

Step Five:
Work out your BMR, this is your base metabolic rate, if you where in bed for 24 hours not moving at all, this is how much energy your body will need to sustain your current weight. There are plenty of calculators out there, that all use the same formula, Google will provide many calculators and MFP has one.

Step Six:
Work out your TDEE, this is your BMR + exercise. Many BMR calculators will have this naturally built in, any time they ask you to select your activity level they are actually giving you your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)not BMR. My experience has been best to always select Sedentary, then manually record all exercise you do.

Step Seven:
Formulate a way to count your energy in (calories). Since your here, you have a good start as MFP is one of the best i have found.

Step Eight:
Now you know how many calories your body needs, you and how fast you want to lose the weight, you can establish how many calories you want to consume. You can select the weight loss speed when you first follow the MFP steps, anything over 2lb a week and your likely losing more than just fat. ** Depending on your body fat %

Step Nine:
You now know how many calories you plan to eat, now we need to figure out how you want to eat them. So long as you’re in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. While it’s not healthy, someone with a -500 calorie deficit eating only chocolate will lose the same amount of weight as someone eating a perfectly balanced diet (extreme example). Obviously there are many downsides but the point I’m trying to make is, so long as you’re in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

Step Ten:
Work out your macros, this is what we refer to the types of calories you consume, generally used are Protein, Carbs, Fats and i suggest tracking Fibre/Sugar/Salt also.

As a general start MFP will work out your macros for you, generally 40% carbs 40% protein 20% fat is a good start. This will depend a lot on your goals and where you’re at. Again tho, the calories are what’s important, someone with 100% carbs will lose the same weight as someone on 100% protein macro allotment. The importance of Macros is the healthiness of your diet.

Step Eleven:
Work out your eating plan. Do you want to eat 5 meals a day? do you want to eat one meal a day? These options differ for different people, there is no huge difference to the styles. The main advantages between different styles are their relation to the person’s ability to adhere to them. Forget all the myths about starvation mode, and needing to constantly feed your body etc. For me the intermittent fasting style works well (east for 6 hours then nothing for 18), because it’s easier for me to plan and adhere to. For others they may have more issues with hunger, so the additional 2/3 meals a day will be beneficial. Everyone fasts when they sleep hence the term Break-Fast, dont be scared of the term Fasting.

Step Twelve:
Track Results and always adjust your plans as you go. Just because a BMR calculator says you need 2000 calories, if your weight loss slows down to under what you want, reduce your calories. Try to keep track of your Weight, Measurements and Body Fat %. There is a lot more to the picture that just weight loss – you loosing muscle weight? Water weight?.

Points and Tips:

Drink a lot of water, helps in so many ways.
Learn about what foods are good and bad – good calories vs bad calories - dirty vs clean.
Try stay away from fast food, and if you do have it, even if they say how many calories are on the menu add 20%.
Record every single calorie, sugar in tea, breath mints, etc
Minimum recommended protein a day is 1.5x your weight in KG.
Compound movements when weight training are the best type when trying to preserve or gain muscle mass. General 3 day split, Push day, Pull Day and Leg day is good start for guys.
You “cannot effectivly” build muscle with a calorie deficiency, get to your goal weight then have a calorie surplus before trying to build a muscular body. (you will see some newbie gains tho, nothing too major and will stop).

In Summary
Being in a calorie deficiently will ensure you lose weight, try to this in a healthy manner adhearing to macros, to reduce cravings and ensure your body is getting everything it needs. Remember don’t take it too seriously, be accurate with your reporting, but relish in the opportunity to try different styles of eating and dieting, there is no prefect diet or way to eat, it is your preference, what works for your best friend, may not be good for you. Weight training while your loosing weight will help you keep your muscle and build small amounts for the first 12-15weeks. As you loose weight you will naturally look more tones/muscular as your body fat % reduces.

Common Questions

Q: If my BMR says i need 2000 calories to maintain my bodyweight, can u eat 500 a day a loose a lot of weight? Will my body enter starvation mode?

A: Yes you will lose weight, it takes your body 48 hours to enter “Starvation mode”, but what is starvation mode? This is when your Metabolic Rate decreases. This will not be a drastic change, if you’re eating 500 calories when you need 2000 to maintain your weight, your metabolic rate will decrease over a few weeks, but your metabolic rate will never go drastically below your calculated BMR until you get into the low levels of body fat. However, it’s not recommended, aside from the obvious side effects, main reason is because you cannot maintain it. You body is a Fat Storing Machine, think of your body’s fat cells as water balloons, over the short term you will empty them, but it takes a very long time for the actual balloon (fat cell) to decrease in size. As a result when you do eventually go back into a calorie surplus your body will just fill them back up, and it will take a lot longer for your metabolic rate to increase to where it once was since you have burnt your muscle away by having such a huge calorie deficiency.

Q: Should i eat back the calories i burn from exercise?

A: Its down to personal preference and how fast you want to lose weight, so long as when the end of the day comes, you are at a calorie deficiently you will lose weight.

Q: What’s the best diet? Low Carb?

A: A diet is only as good as it is to be able to stuck too, that being said... Low carb naturally equates to high protein, protein is slower digesting and requires more energy to process, so it’s often seen as more beneficial. This is only because you feel fuller for longer. 2000 Calorie Carb high diet will allow you too loose same amount of weight as a 2000 Calorie Protein high diet, however you will see different benefits to both. Such as hunger levels, energy levels, mood etc.

Q: Why am i getting constipated?

A: Often on too much protein, not enough fibre or water. You also have a tendency to pass less frequently when doing intermittent fasting as your eating window is smaller.

Replies

• Gemz321
    Options
    thanks for the post :)
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Very much appreciated! Thank you!
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow - a lot of work must have went into putting these notes together. Good for you and thanks for the info.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Good info.....
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. It is helpful information.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow. So helpful. Thanks.
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Very well written. I wish I had known all this when I started my journey for sure. I hope all the noobs will appreciate it too.
  • lynnie_1
    lynnie_1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree! Thanks for all this info!
  • meandzae
    Options
    Thanks I love it.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    excellent post! great info! thanks :smile:
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is really great. Wish I would have seen something like this at the beginning of my journey instead of the end/ Although I personally could not do the fasting thing (i ate 3 meals a day plus a snack) I agree with most everything you say. I lost 30 lbs in 6 months and hit my goal weight yesterday. I know this website and the helpful people like you had everything to do with it.
  • Kathrynaline
    Options
    yup. Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • brittanypeters1990
    Options
    bump :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Great advice except the starvation mode part.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I really don't need to go out and buy another diet book again do I?
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I usually don't read lengthy topics, but I read all of this!!

Wonderful advice! Thanks so much!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • seebs079
    seebs079 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Awesome summary of everything I have also come to believe over my journey as well. I will be sharing this post with the n00bs that I've been recruiting to MyFitnessPal.

Some people may disagree with your point about being exact with your calorie counting. For example, some people do not want to be bothered recording the calories for the mayo on their sandwich, or the pickles on their plate.

I, however, completely agree with you. I have found great success in being exact. If I start skipping the recording of my mayo, this often leads to skipping the recording of the cheese on my sandwich. The result for me tends to be the natural tendency to become less and less precise, and then my weight loss progress obviously slows down as I'm actually consuming more calories than I'm recording. I believe it boils down to being honest with yourself.

That all being said, if you skip recording the condiments and you still find success, then good for you! Good luck to everyone and Merry Christmas!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great info. Saving and passing it on. Thanks