Things i wish i was told when i started my Journey.

Options

Replies

• meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback all, much appreciated
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Compound movements when weight training are the best type when trying to preserve or gain muscle mass. General 3 day split, Push day, Pull Day and Leg day is good start for guys.

You had me at Push/Pull philosophy.. High Five
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bumpy bump
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I too wish I would have seen this earlier, great post! May I add, if one thing isn't working for you, don't be afraid to try something different? I think you kind of mentioned it, but having been "Stuck" for a long time, I am finally moving again by doing something totally different with my approach and diet. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO EAT! LOL:ohwell:
  • melissalandrum
    melissalandrum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spramn
    Options
    I too wish I would have seen this earlier, great post! May I add, if one thing isn't working for you, don't be afraid to try something different? I think you kind of mentioned it, but having been "Stuck" for a long time, I am finally moving again by doing something totally different with my approach and diet. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO EAT! LOL:ohwell:

Its so true, i was so apposed to intermittent fasting for ages. I kept hearing about it, and i kept buying into this starvation mode myth. Being a shift worker, and trying to fit the gym in also, i was spending all my free time making and prepping my 6 small meals. Now i only have to worry about 3 meals, wish i did 12 months ago lol.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Awesome post
  • tlheppler
    tlheppler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • gooteek
    Options
    Awesome Post. I joined in Spring 2011 and was training for my first marathon. Although I had worked out all my life, MFP and posts like this helped get my diet/mind right. Use of a scale to assure right portions and avoiding processed foods as much as possible, as well as avoiding eating out helps a great deal too.

So true that one plan does not fit all. Marathon runners carb up for runs, body builders use a lot more protein (too much protein can be bad for marathon training), and a choice to just live a healthy lifestyle could just require better menu choices. Adjust your diet and exerciose to what your body type and goals are.

Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive list of key points for those new to MFP disciplines! :-)
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    ~Bump~
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    it takes your body 48 hours to enter “Starvation mode

this is the only thing I disagree with. I have eaten 500 calories for a month and nothing happened except weight loss, and I know someone who fasts for 48 hours straight every weekend and his loss is right on track for 2+ lbs a weeks. So while I know everyone is different this statement is not true. While eating 500 caloires isn't the healthiest thing out there you can do it and still not enter "starvation mode" Remember doctors put people on this calorie restriction all the time for months and months on end. You have those who have bariatric surgery that eat this each day for months also. You have to have NO food or water for more hours than 48 for your body to believe its starving.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I am going to file this post under "useful information to copy/paste later".

I have a binder that I've put together of that useful information to help me stack on track with my eating and exercising.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Thank you! I was acutally starting to get confused about all the terminology with macros and TDEE etc. and you explained it all very clearly. :flowerforyou:
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    good info!
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • spramn
    Options
    it takes your body 48 hours to enter “Starvation mode

this is the only thing I disagree with. I have eaten 500 calories for a month and nothing happened except weight loss, and I know someone who fasts for 48 hours straight every weekend and his loss is right on track for 2+ lbs a weeks. So while I know everyone is different this statement is not true. While eating 500 caloires isn't the healthiest thing out there you can do it and still not enter "starvation mode" Remember doctors put people on this calorie restriction all the time for months and months on end. You have those who have bariatric surgery that eat this each day for months also. You have to have NO food or water for more hours than 48 for your body to believe its starving.

I know were your coming from. The problem is with the use of the term Starvation mode, i got so frustrated one day that i decided to dedicate time to understanding it.

Basically the common use of the term "Starvation mode" means two things

Your metabolic rate slowing - even by one calorie over a 24 hour period. This is what i was referring to, takes 48 hours for your metabolic rate to be effected by a extreme calorie deficiency.

However the other common use for the term is the one your referring to i think. Please correct me if wrong. That is:
    Starvation mode is the point when your metabolic rate slows down to such an extent that it matched your calorie deficit in an effort to not burn any more calories - often compared to the effects of hibernation.

The point i was attempting to make, while obviously not at clear as i would of liked, it takes 48 hours for your metabolic rate to start to fall, and would not negatively impact your weight loss until such a time as your body fat percentage was low enough for your body not to be able to process any more fat into energy to meet the deficit in calories.

If your body had the ability to stop burning calories so it matched your intake no matter how low it was, no one would ever die from hunger.

So by some peoples definition of Starvation Mode, your system would be in it. However the point i was trying to make, which i think you would agree with. The calorie deficiency you have created still greatly outweighs the decrease in metabolic rate. So depending on how long your system has been in "starvation mode" for would more and more impact the "general normal BMR" for someone of similar measurements. For example, if your BMR is meant to be 2000 calories, because your body has been in starvation mode, it will be less, lets say 1850. However even though its slowed, still consuming 500 calories is still going to show you weight loss.