Things i wish i was told when i started my Journey.

Options

Replies

• sgh10
    sgh10 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    thanks great post
  • jdelaineo
    jdelaineo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iSurvive
    Options
    Great post, thank you!
  • cgo8890
    Options
    bump
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nice post! Thank you!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    it takes your body 48 hours to enter “Starvation mode

this is the only thing I disagree with. I have eaten 500 calories for a month and nothing happened except weight loss, and I know someone who fasts for 48 hours straight every weekend and his loss is right on track for 2+ lbs a weeks. So while I know everyone is different this statement is not true. While eating 500 caloires isn't the healthiest thing out there you can do it and still not enter "starvation mode" Remember doctors put people on this calorie restriction all the time for months and months on end. You have those who have bariatric surgery that eat this each day for months also. You have to have NO food or water for more hours than 48 for your body to believe its starving.

I know were your coming from. The problem is with the use of the term Starvation mode, i got so frustrated one day that i decided to dedicate time to understanding it.

Basically the common use of the term "Starvation mode" means two things

Your metabolic rate slowing - even by one calorie over a 24 hour period. This is what i was referring to, takes 48 hours for your metabolic rate to be effected by a extreme calorie deficiency.

However the other common use for the term is the one your referring to i think. Please correct me if wrong. That is:
    Starvation mode is the point when your metabolic rate slows down to such an extent that it matched your calorie deficit in an effort to not burn any more calories - often compared to the effects of hibernation.

The point i was attempting to make, while obviously not at clear as i would of liked, it takes 48 hours for your metabolic rate to start to fall, and would not negatively impact your weight loss until such a time as your body fat percentage was low enough for your body not to be able to process any more fat into energy to meet the deficit in calories.

If your body had the ability to stop burning calories so it matched your intake no matter how low it was, no one would ever die from hunger.

So by some peoples definition of Starvation Mode, your system would be in it. However the point i was trying to make, which i think you would agree with. The calorie deficiency you have created still greatly outweighs the decrease in metabolic rate. So depending on how long your system has been in "starvation mode" for would more and more impact the "general normal BMR" for someone of similar measurements. For example, if your BMR is meant to be 2000 calories, because your body has been in starvation mode, it will be less, lets say 1850. However even though its slowed, still consuming 500 calories is still going to show you weight loss.

In studies that I've read, your metobolic rate does NOT slow down by the lower calorie intake. I was still losing 3 to 4 lbs a week while eating 500 calories and exercising those calories away. I've upped my calorie intake and am (or I was until this month) losing 3 lbs a week. My 500 calorie intake was back in April and May. I increased to between 800 and 900 in June or there abouts and did not slow down on my loss until November. According to what I've read your metabolic rate does not slow down by eating less, or at least not enough to make a huge difference and in MY experiance it was true. I'll look around to see if I can find the sites I was looking at, I just know for me this was true. I went from 1000 and losing about a lb or two a week to 500 and started losing 3 to 4 lbs a week and then between 8 and 900 a week and still losing 3 lbs a week.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    you hit nail on the head "doesnt slow down enough to make a difference". I made a post midway up this page that explains my view abit better

Had a few questions recently, happy to help, but in regards to diets. I would suggest to try a few styles and see what works for you. There is no one perfect diet for everyone.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    you hit nail on the head "doesnt slow down enough to make a difference". I made a post midway up this page that explains my view abit better

Had a few questions recently, happy to help, but in regards to diets. I would suggest to try a few styles and see what works for you. There is no one perfect diet for everyone.

You are so very correct. Wonder why it's so hard for some people to get that? I swear they drive me nuts with the in your face, our bodies are all alike and your not special cause your body works just like mine, and they can't be further from the truth. And why they believe that boggles the mind and I still can't figure out how they come up with it.

You have an awesome post here and people should be thanking you for posting this, especially those who are just starting out
  • spramn
    Options
    I know right? I was told for years by Parents, Friends, evan Opera. All said, "Breakfast was the most important meal of the day, its what kick starts your metabolism" - "You need to feed your body frequently or your metabolism will slow down" etc etc etc. I think alot of these myths have been with people for so long, its hard to change a mindset thats preconditioned by people you have trusted for advise. I would say your a perfect example of a dedicated person who not only has be-bunked the old sayings, but proven quite the opposite.

At the end of the day, if your in a calorie deficit you will loose weight, there are different paths to the same place, but will always hold true.
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    great post, especially about the fat cells/balloon analogy.
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Spramm. Thank you so much. You have answered every question I have had since joining MFP. Easy to comprehend also. Again thank you!
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Excellent, thank you very much for the information. The tips were great, add 20% on fast food (often I do feel like there are more calories then what it says), and the push, pull, legs is good.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips :)
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you for spending the time to make such an informational post. One of the best on MFP! thank you!!
  • shella_bella
    Options
    Beautiful! Thanks for posting
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    I usually don't read lengthy topics, but I read all of this!!

Wonderful advice! Thanks so much!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    This 100% is how I feel as well (less the flowers lol)
  • spramn
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, i'm happy i was able to give something back to the community. :happy:
  • bigglesinc
    Options
    great post. Thanks
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    When I started last August, I wish I'd known that you can't predict how things will go. Back then I was in the middle of the healthy BMI range and did MFP with a friend. With exercise and a goal of 1200 calories a day I gradually lost 10lb over about two months. It required a lot of effort but was rewarding.

Then I become depressed two months ago and started losing 3lb a week with no effort at all. There's no joy in it this way.

It's the effort that makes things worthwhile, definitely.