What do you think about men fake n bakin

Options
1235»

Replies

• RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can encourage him to take up smoking, too?

Tanning is carcinogenic. Tanning beds are no safer than tanning outdoors. It seems to me as though he is the sensible one here.

:noway:

Ok...so I would never try to get someone to smoke. They are completely different. Tanning beds are not as bad as people think they are. If you have your own private bed at home and are tanning all day long, then yes they are very dangerous. Now, if you tan say once a week for no longer then 12 min in uvb and 15 in uva bed, they are not as harmful. If you use tanning lotions and eye protection, they are even less! The lotion helps stop free radicals. The problem is that people just go with what others say without doing their own research.

mmmhmmm.... And how much of your 'own research' have you done? Apart from promotional materials provided by the manufacturers of tannning beds, which is hardly impartial. Because in a 5-minute Pubmed search I turn up 54 actual scientific studies showing that tanning beds represent a measurable risk factor for later diagnosis of BCC, SCC and melanoma. Of course risk is dose-dependent, but I'm curious to know how many people actually adhere to '12 minutes once per week'.

Perhaps you can also explain the science behind '..tanning lotion...helps stop free radicals'.

I am strongly of the opinion that the promotion of tanning beds as 'safe' and/or 'safer than sun exposure' is irresponsible, and contradicted by current scientific knowledge.

I was never provided with material. I went to the local hospital and got my own info. I have also done a lot of online research of my own too. Many therapists and dermatologists recommend it once a week. We have a lot of people that do not over expose and only tan once or twice a week. We do have a lot of people preparing for vacation so they are not miserable. We do have people that tan everyday, but they do not over expose(burn). When you over expose, this starts the stages of melanomas. Tanning lotions, good ones at least, are silicon based and are dripping with antioxidants. these motorize the skin and help protect your skin form becoming dehydrated. By all means, they are not "safe", but neither is alcohol, fat, or even breathing. You would have to be in a plastic bubble to be "safe". But even that is not safe because of the chemicals used to make plastic.

"motorize the skin"....???

I sincerely doubt you will find 'many' or even 'a few' dermatologists who recommend indoor tanning, ever.
  • KiraBaby20
    Options
    Maybe you can encourage him to take up smoking, too?

Tanning is carcinogenic. Tanning beds are no safer than tanning outdoors. It seems to me as though he is the sensible one here.

:noway:

Ok...so I would never try to get someone to smoke. They are completely different. Tanning beds are not as bad as people think they are. If you have your own private bed at home and are tanning all day long, then yes they are very dangerous. Now, if you tan say once a week for no longer then 12 min in uvb and 15 in uva bed, they are not as harmful. If you use tanning lotions and eye protection, they are even less! The lotion helps stop free radicals. The problem is that people just go with what others say without doing their own research.

mmmhmmm.... And how much of your 'own research' have you done? Apart from promotional materials provided by the manufacturers of tannning beds, which is hardly impartial. Because in a 5-minute Pubmed search I turn up 54 actual scientific studies showing that tanning beds represent a measurable risk factor for later diagnosis of BCC, SCC and melanoma. Of course risk is dose-dependent, but I'm curious to know how many people actually adhere to '12 minutes once per week'.

Perhaps you can also explain the science behind '..tanning lotion...helps stop free radicals'.

I am strongly of the opinion that the promotion of tanning beds as 'safe' and/or 'safer than sun exposure' is irresponsible, and contradicted by current scientific knowledge.

I was never provided with material. I went to the local hospital and got my own info. I have also done a lot of online research of my own too. Many therapists and dermatologists recommend it once a week. We have a lot of people that do not over expose and only tan once or twice a week. We do have a lot of people preparing for vacation so they are not miserable. We do have people that tan everyday, but they do not over expose(burn). When you over expose, this starts the stages of melanomas. Tanning lotions, good ones at least, are silicon based and are dripping with antioxidants. these motorize the skin and help protect your skin form becoming dehydrated. By all means, they are not "safe", but neither is alcohol, fat, or even breathing. You would have to be in a plastic bubble to be "safe". But even that is not safe because of the chemicals used to make plastic.

"motorize the skin"....???

I sincerely doubt you will find 'many' or even 'a few' dermatologists who recommend indoor tanning, ever.

Believe it or not, 9 out of 11 in a 20 mile radius of where i live, do. I is great for adults with sever acne. I found it very interesting.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I fake tanned a few years ago when I was going to go on a cruise because I didn't want to burn. I don't really mind if a guy tans, but all things in moderation. No one should look fake.
  • 2012Stoney
    Options
    [We all here happily and eagerly 'educate' newbies who post on the boards about trying out the latest fad diet, I see no difference here - this is promotion of something as safe that is known not to be. If you posted about how you achieved awesome health improvements from those 'dubious supplements' I imagine you'd get some criticism, too.
    [/quote]

Wow you are a tough one! You should relax a little... life is short! going to the beach every now and then is not the end of the world...
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, 9 out of 11 in a 20 mile radius of where i live, do. I is great for adults with sever acne. I found it very interesting.

The AAD's list of recommendations for acne sufferers includes "Stay out of the sun and tanning beds".

There is, however, a common and effective treatment for cystic acne called 'blue-light therapy" which is narrow-band blue (i.e., visible) light at 405-430nm. This is not the same as UV light (max 400nm), and outside the range emitted by either UVA or UVB tanning lamps. Perhaps this is what the dermatologists are promoting? I think it would be surprising if they would all be contradicting the standard-practice guidelines from their professional association.
  • KiraBaby20
    Options

The AAD's list of recommendations for acne sufferers includes "Stay out of the sun and tanning beds".

There is, however, a common and effective treatment for cystic acne called 'blue-light therapy" which is narrow-band blue (i.e., visible) light at 405-430nm. This is not the same as UV light (max 400nm), and outside the range emitted by either UVA or UVB tanning lamps. Perhaps this is what the dermatologists are promoting? I think it would be surprising if they would all be contradicting the standard-practice guidelines from their professional association.

On no, I made sure they were talking about in door tanning beds. They did say, however, that is depends on your type of acne. It is bacterial, they recommend the beds, if it is (insert technical name here) you need to take medication that will kill it from the outside in.
  • 2012Stoney
    Options
    Hey kirababy20, have fun in the sun and good luck in the Airforce! (I read your profile) great decision!
  • shiraLA
    shiraLA Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan at all...I prefer a natural look on men (and women) :)
  • KiraBaby20
    Options
    Hey kirababy20, have fun in the sun and good luck in the Airforce! (I read your profile) great decision!

Thank you! You enjoy that sun too and that fish =)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of tan. On anyone.

This.

What they said.
  • jimmy713
    jimmy713 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I like the arms