LADIES: birth control and weight loss/gain

Options
124»

Replies

• frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm on the rod, arm implant , to manage serve periods (crippling cramps and loosing between two or three times the amount I should). I thought I'd put on some but actually I didn't seem to effect my weight loss at all. There was behavioral side effects (which the boyfriend enjoyed) and my period spots (I break out in specific places on my period) where sticking around longer then usual.

Does tend to be very personal, I know some people who put on three to four pounds and others who lost (not meaning to).
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hormones mess with me something awful. Hubby just got fixed and will take my non hormonal IUD out as soon as he is officially sterile. Yay, no more birth control ever again!!

Everyone is soo individual. The only way to know if it affects you is to try.
  • kamanda85
    kamanda85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena after I had my daughter in 2006. That year i lost 75 lbs! with diet and exercise. (now I have gained it all back, but that is all MY fault and NOTHING to do with BC) I loved it, didn't have a period.

I just got a new one put back in a month ago. Now, today, I have my check up to make wure everything is "ok", and they can't find it! So I am stressed out, wanting to eat myself happy again (but that isn't going to do ANYTHING but make me feel worse). So I am thinking I want it out and I don't want to put anything else into my body for BC. The pills made me emotional even the low dose, the ring (that was just nasty, discharge) I didn't care for it. The patch made rashes on my body, it worked and I liked it, but I didn't like having pimple like rashes on my behind! And now this...I AM DONE WITH BC!! If my hubby doesn't want to have anymore kids then wrap it up, get a vasectomy, or deal with the chance it may occur.

Just my input...

I had the same problem with Mirena (4 years ago)! I went in for my check-up and they couldn't find it. I had to have an ultrasound, x-ray, and then laparscopic surgery. They found it buried in the fat surrounding my intestine and they said judging by the uterine scarring it had probably went through my uterine wall the day it was inserted. Super scary experience! I hope your doctors are able to locate yours easier than it was for them to find mine. :flowerforyou:
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was put on the Depo to treat a medical condition almost a year ago and to date I've lost almost 30lbs! BC affects everyone differently, but I'm a strong believer that if you really stick to hardcore dieting and exercise you can keep some BC weight off!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

I've been on Yaz recently for about 9 months, and I've noticed a huge change in appetite. I crave sweets CONSTANTLY! Before the pill I had to be in a certain mood to even consider eating sweets, but afterward that's all I wanted. So I blame any weight gain on the change of appetite and lack of self control more than anything.

Whereas I am currently on Yaz (for horribly painful and sick periods. Huzzah vomiting!) and have only experienced stronger cravings in general than I did before, and have likewise LOST weight. I dropped at least 13 pounds in the few months I've been on the pill and that's with very little exercise.
    If your main problem is water weight, then Yaz may help you out with that as it has something in it that makes you need to urinate pretty frequently, thereby helping to shed said water weight pounds.
    Of course it may also help that Yaz made me, initially, nauseated constantly and I therefore wasn't eating as much. I suppose that MIGHT count as a boon?

However keep in mind what everyone is saying-it effects everyone differently. Likewise always consult your physician before starting or changing birth control, etcetc. Good luck~!
  • ettennette
    Options
    stop taking pills!
  • hotxpinkness
    hotxpinkness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In 2006 I was on Depo for 6 months and during that time I lost about 30lbs. I was also working out and had a job where I worked on my feet all day. My eating habits were pretty bad so its hard to pinpoint what caused the loss, the BC, my activity level or the fact that I was only 20 and probably had a good metabolism. I stopped taking any BC after those six months and I gained almost 50 lbs within the next two years. Again, it could have been a number of things, the fact that I stopped the depo, or that I got a job sitting in an office, getting older, etc. Bottom line, there is no good answer, everyone is different and your body will react different. I am about to start BC pills (Levora) and I am really nervous as I have lost 25 lbs recently and I'm already finding it hard to lose anymore weight (been at a stall for about 4 months!) Good luck to me!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I was on birth control about 12 years ago (OrthoTriCyclen) for about 4-5 months. I just remember having huge/painful boobs, but no significant weight gain.

However, I'm on Emoquette right now prepping for IVF -- basically BC for five weeks straight, no placebo -- and the past three weeks have been hell to lose weight. I'm losing maybe a pound a week and I'm eating net 1400 calories a day, and I work out 6 times a week, which should be at least two pounds a week. Just isn't happening. My personal trainer thinks I'm cheating, but I just think the pill is making me retain fluids or just inhibiting weight loss.