I Don't Get Yoga

Options

Replies

• Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I read philosophy for enlightenment, I go to the gym to get fit. Yoga is too cult-like for me.

THANK YOU

I do it for the good stretch and to relax. I don't know about the background and don't care to.

I feel the exact same way. I want to have better physical balance and gain flexibility. As soon as they start with the mystical stuff, THAT'S when I usually start rolling my eyes and getting bored.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    My trainer tried to get me to take yoga at our gym. I don't think I'm yoga material yet, but he had some good reasons for taking it. First is because it makes a better mind/body connection, it helps you feel your muscles better, so when you workout your more aware of feeling the muscles your working and can focus on getting a better contraction. It of course helps with breathing, and we all know the more oxygen we get, the more stamina not only we have but our muscles have as well. Lastly flexibility and relaxation but that's self explanatory.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    mindfulness just means being mindful. Just enjoying life, being thoughtful, etc.

I understand there is a lot of woo woo involved with it at times. However, it does exist without that and you are rejecting it all without even taking the time to learn anything about it.

Thich Nhat Hanh also does not believe in God or souls, reincarnation or an after-life.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    mindfulness just means being mindful. Just enjoying life, being thoughtful, etc.

I understand there is a lot of woo woo involved with it at times. However, it does exist without that and you are rejecting it all without even taking the time to learn anything about it.

Where did I say I was rejecting it all? Did you read my OP thoroughly? I don't think you did, because it clearly states that I gave several different forms at least two tries each, and what sane person would continue attempting something that is not doing anything for them? And in a later post I clearly said that I DO believe yoga does good for the body, which is why I want to find a form that works for me.

This is another reason I balk at getting into yoga; I find many followers to act snobbish and elitist twd people who question or disagree with any of the teachings, accusing them of being close-minded. If I am as close-minded as you infer, would I have ever started this thread, asking for input on a form of yoga that I might enjoy?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm sorry for offending you. I did not mean it to be that way. I must have just misunderstood some of your comments. I can understand completely if it's not for you. I think people should only do the things they enjoy and feel benefit them. I see no benefit in forcing oneself to do something unenjoyable. Life is too short. :flowerforyou:
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    My trainer tried to get me to take yoga at our gym. I don't think I'm yoga material yet, but he had some good reasons for taking it. First is because it makes a better mind/body connection, it helps you feel your muscles better, so when you workout your more aware of feeling the muscles your working and can focus on getting a better contraction. It of course helps with breathing, and we all know the more oxygen we get, the more stamina not only we have but our muscles have as well. Lastly flexibility and relaxation but that's self explanatory.

This makes a lot more sense! Thanks for breaking it down into non-magical terms that actually have scientific backing. :) I never thought of needing to be more aware of my muscles in order to better control them. I really do want to give it a try, if I can find a form I like. Cuz from all the hype it gets from devoted followers, I'm starting to think I'm missing out on something.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    I'm sorry for offending you. I did not mean it to be that way. I must have just misunderstood some of your comments. I can understand completely if it's not for you. I think people should only do the things they enjoy and feel benefit them. I see no benefit in forcing oneself to do something unenjoyable. Life is too short. :flowerforyou:

Agreed. And no real offense taken. I don't enjoy it from what I've tried, but having seen such a wide and enthusiastic following, I can't help but wonder on what I'm missing out on? And it frustrated me that I haven't found any form of it that I can really get into.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Good luck on your search. There has been a lot of yoga that I also disliked. When it gets mystical I also roll my eyes. If I dislike the class/teacher I don't go back.

I don't always know how to explain what I like about it (especially right now because I'm very tired). I am a dancer, so it just comes naturally to me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I avoided yoga for many years because I associated it with flower eating, new age, crystal touching, chanting, astrology weirdos. Sometimes it still comes across as two cent translation of bad mysticism-in-a-box. And there are classes I have walked out of for talking too much about that. I understand how it works for some but I like my mysticism a little less cultish. And I thought yoga was about that. I was wrong. Or I was seeing only one type.

But I love yoga for the flexibility and strength it helped me develop. If you are not sore after a good session, you can always move it up a notch. And the body awareness and relaxation are nice pluses. Find a class low on blah-blah.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    I avoided yoga for many years because I associated it with flower eating, new age, crystal touching, chanting, astrology weirdos. Sometimes it still comes across as two cent translation of bad mysticism-in-a-box. And there are classes I have walked out of for talking too much about that. I understand how it works for some but I like my mysticism a little less cultish. And I thought yoga was about that. I was wrong. Or I was seeing only one type.

But I love yoga for the flexibility and strength it helped me develop. If you are not sore after a good session, you can always move it up a notch. And the body awareness and relaxation are nice pluses. Find a class low on blah-blah.

You had me rolling at flower-eating. :laugh: That's how I've always felt/still kinda do, but I'm trying to break free from that, because there are a lot of physical benefits to yoga that I want to get in on.

Low blah-blah, got it. Is that a technical term? :tongue:
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    That makes a little more sense. I really don't have much stress in my life, never really have. (crap. I just jinxed myself, didn't I?) So the meditation and clearing the mind never really did anything for me. And I have always been led to believe that a workout should always involve, racing heats, sweating and panting when you're done, so it's entirely possible I am a little biased. I'll look into some more fun styles and see if I like them.

I didn't used to enjoy yoga as much when I was younger. But now with three children and a busy job I really look forward to it. I don't really do it as a workout (I run, swim or cycle for that), I do it to keep me sane.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't do it. There's no reason to go around needlessly criticizing something that other people have found essential to their fitness goals.

I freaking hate running and rarely do it for long, but I'm certainly not going to go around telling runners how much it sucks. Some people love running and have been able to stay in great shape doing so. Do what works for you and don't bother telling people how much their passion sucks.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've given it a fair shot I feel..even p90x yoga which was challenging but I need something to keep my mind going or I just focus on the pain n feeling like I'm holding onto a move forever! Hated it!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's interesting with yoga... you find that the people who have the loudest monkey minds (a previous poster referenced this - it's a term used to describe the chatter that goes on in the mind) are the people who struggle the most. They can't concentrate on the breathing, can't focus or clear their minds, feel that the classes are boring and pointless, miss the entire point of holding poses whilst sustaining calm breath and mind.

They're the people that could actually benefit the most, if they gave it a bit of time. Whilst the physical and physiological aspects of yoga can be awesome, it's the mental stuff that is golden.

I did yoga for YEARS with the sole intention of burning calories. I definitely didn't "get it" then and I watched the clock and hated every minute. Now is a different story. I no longer do yoga for burning calories and that's when everything changed. Not that I've done it in awhile... and god do I miss it. Need to get back there. Anyway, I digress...

I understand how you might see it as a "cult"... the love, spirituality, openness and joy you feel after a class I imagine sounds like finding religion. I am a skeptic and an athiest, but in the yoga room, I am somehow connected to the earth and everyone around me. Spiritual garbage that I never usually buy into. But I persevered and learnt how to calm and focus my breathing and my mind.. and that is when the magic happened. It's not about the poses, it's about being present in them.

I know this sounds like utter BS to you, OP, however I urge you to go back to one class, and see if you can focus on yourself and your breathing - JUST your breathing, no matter what your body is doing - for the whole class. And see if anything changes. Don't look around, don't fiddle with your clothes, don't wipe your sweat (if it's Bikram or powerflow), don't see the room. Just see yourself and your breath.

That is the HARD stuff, and believe me, I didn't find it for years because I was doing it for the wrong reasons... but you really start challenging your mind, that's when you reap the rewards.
  • kindleworm99
    Options
    Yoga and pilates hurts my neck
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As with anything, you get out of it what you put into it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I am addressing the original post as I don’t want to get entangled with whether yoga is a cult, a philosophy, whether it can build strength, flexibility, stamina, help you lose weight, scratch your own ear with your foot, blah blah – it is all and none of those things in some place in the world at any point, so no point defending or discussing in my opinion.

You say you have tried a few yoga dvds and been to a class or two and you don’t get it. I absolutely am immersed in yoga, but if I had tried a few yoga DVDs and been to a handful of classes I wouldn’t geddit either. The first yoga course I went to, the lady there had us chanting eeee – aaaaa – ooooo ---- aa-haaaa for a good ten minutes to attune ourselves to goodness knows what and guess what – I didn’t get it.

Then I discarded yoga because I didn’t want an exercise where you just held poses for ages. I wanted something that moved, so I tried Tai Chi and sorry to say got myself pinned down by a cult type teacher who I was relieved to move away from. There are cults in all walks of life – even weight training!

If you did everything exactly the way you were instructed and you didn’t break into a sweat, wasn’t sore or tired afterwards, I suggest that you were looking at the wrong style of yoga – maybe a more sedate, gentle or spiritual style, when you wanted something more physically challenging, or the teacher wasn’t challenging or motivating enough for you, or maybe you didn’t put the effort in that was required – hey – it’s a possibility, right?

As has been suggested, try something around Yoga Flow, Power Yoga (not as corny as it sounds), Ashtanga, or some Anusara teachers can be challenging also. A lot depends on the teacher; fast or slow, high or low energy – all affects the class and the people in it. If you were rolling your eyes, you were definitely not being pushed enough – if you were you would have had your eyes firmly fixed on a balance point!

Did your teachers have you inverted (headstand, handstand, hand balance postures) for any amount of the class? These postures really challenge the body and place strength developing stresses on muscles throughout the body. This is why a great many teachers avoid this part of the yoga system. Some feel their students are not ready to do them. Some teachers can’t do them, so avoid them. Look for a teacher who is further down the path than you are!

Yes, some teachers and brands of yoga are cultish, yes there are wishy washy yoga teachers out there, yes, some people are snobby and cliquey – but the same could be said for weightlifting – yeah that’s what I said!

The right yoga class for you is out there – it just takes a little MORE research and searching locally for the right one. You say your goal is to get more toned (should I mention there is no such thing as toning or is that for another thread?), lean and flexible. I presume you mean you want to build a little muscle, lose a bit of bodyfat and gain some flexibility and the right yoga class will provide all of this and more.

For on-line stuff, maybe look for Rodney Yee on You Tube, or type Power Yoga into the You Tube search bar. It’s out there - give it another go!
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The idea of yoga is to learn to become one with and listen to your body. On the physical side you move and stretch to flush out toxins that build up in the areas of your body that you don't use often. Moving these parts increases flexibility and strength. On a mental side the goal is to learn to be in the moment, shut out the world around you and quiet all your thoughts and just be in your body for a while.

If this doesn't appeal to you and you only want to focus on the physical benefits of yoga, then I would suggest trying Bikram, or "hot" yoga. You go through more challenging movements in a room heated to around 35 degrees celsius. So not only are you stretching but you are absolutely dripping with sweat by the end of the session. Either that or consider Pilates, it is like yoga but the poses are a bit different and there is less focus on the meditative side of things.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Most of it is for the purposes of engaging your body mind and spirit and living in a more mindful and present manner.

See, this is what I mean! So before yoga, my body/mind/spirit are NOT engaged?

Yeah, probably not but it's got nothing to do with a lack of yoga.
    Engaged in, uh, what? Living in a present manner? As if I was living somewhere ELSE before? What does that even mean?? I'm pretty sure someone made that up, because it makes no sense at all, lol. Anyone who's seen "I Heart Huckabees" can maybe relate to how I feel about nonsense Confucio-talk like that. (No personal offense, poster)

I noticed a huge difference in my outlook for the rest of the day when I was spending the first hour upon waking practicing yoga and meditation. I alternated between doing either an hour of some type of hatha yoga (usually Ashtanga/Vinyasa "power yoga") or a half hour of hatha yoga and a half hour of seated meditation. Things didn't bother me as easily throughout the day, I was able to focus more on what I was doing, I wasn't quite as much of an *kitten* as I usually am (quite as much - it's not a miracle thing). I didn't lose much weight because of it but that's not why I was doing it. My posture improved and so did my balance. I still love it I just fell out of practice a few years ago and haven't gotten my *kitten* together to re-incorporate it into my life.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't do it. There's no reason to go around needlessly criticizing something that other people have found essential to their fitness goals.

I freaking hate running and rarely do it for long, but I'm certainly not going to go around telling runners how much it sucks. Some people love running and have been able to stay in great shape doing so. Do what works for you and don't bother telling people how much their passion sucks.

:happy: