I Don't Get Yoga

Options

Replies

• aguethler
    aguethler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What I love about Yoga is how during practice I can feel the movement and check the balance and strength and wellness of every little muscle in my body. Never before have I been in tune with any but my large muscles.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In a class setting I've only done power, flow and hot yoga. Those are all more physically demanding, which I like, and I think that one that's not necessarily looking for the "spiritual" end of a yoga practice would be interested in. Even when I do my own "yoga" type exercises at home, I don't focus on being mindful through each pose, I focus on stretching further than it did before, getting deeper into the pose, becoming more balanced in the more difficult poses for me (ie: shoulder stands and dancer's pose). Personally, I could NEVER follow a DVD, and I'm picky about the instructor's classes that I will go to - at the studio I've gone to in the past I've noticed that they're each specialized in a different area, and personally I need someone who will push me to try the poses I never thought that I'd be able to do, or even could wrap my mind around doing (like the shoulder stand again!)! I figure skate and lift weights, I find it just helps my muscles relax and become less fatigued after a hard skate or lifting session.
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    I love Thich Nhat Hanh.

Me too. You can friend him on Facebook you know and get updates on his talks and so on. Amazing man, I'd love to meet him.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I dont think id like Yoga but i LOVE Pilates! Pilates is like Yoga but its a bit faster and my class at the Y has weights and even the exercise ball with it too. Tuesdays class is more relaxed with the lights off and more breathing and posture where Thursdays class is with weights, the ball, getting up and moving.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    There are many different styles of yoga. Most of it is for the purposes of engaging your body mind and spirit and living in a more mindful and present manner. There are styles such as Ashtanga or Power yoga that will give you a hell of a workout if you apply yourself.

This. I take a hot power yoga class every week and it kicks my *kitten*! I love it, it's been amazing for my flexibility and balance, and it's really improved my breathing during running. And I'm almost always sore, especially if we've done a lot of vinyasas---those kill my arms.There are many different types of yoga, and I'm guessing the forms you've tried have been the more slow paced ones more focused on tranquility and "stillness of mind and body" as opposed to the more intense forms.

That said, yoga isn't for everyone! Just like running isn't for everyone, or swimming, or cycling, or zumba, etc. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the exact same way about yoga (hated it...was bored...didn't feel like it was a workout), until a friend told me to try the "Biggest Loser, Weight Loss Yoga" DVD... Bob (from the Biggest Loser) is the instructor and I LOVE it. I break a sweat every time, and am usually sore the next day. It is nothing like regular yoga. I do it once or twice a week, and either "30 Day Shred" or my elliptical on the other days. That particular DVD has 3 different levels and I like all 3 for different reasons. It's cheap. You should give it a try.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I felt this way too, until I tried a tough power yoga session. It was brutal. And much more my speed. I've got friends that swear by bikram but I've never tried. Mostly, I desperately needed to gain some flexibility but can never commit to a stretching regimen. Yoga takes that spot for me

^^This^^

There are many diffrent styles of yoga - just like there are many diffrent styles of dance. Ballroom might not be your speeed but maybe jazz is - same with yoga. I'd suggest trying difrent styles until you find on you like. If you are looking for an active class that feels like its "exercise" try vinyasa (flow), power yoga, or bikram.

Even within those styles classes will be diffrent depending on the instructor and the studio. Some will call the poses in Sanskrit, others in english, some will have chanting and meditation, others will not.

My favorite studio offers a free podcast. Its called Yoga to the People. Its flow yoga, they call poses in english and there is no chanting. Its designed to be open to all abilities and you will definately work up a sweat.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I took a bikram(sp?) once and it kicked my *kitten*. I nearly threw up a couple of times during the class and was sore in places I didn't know I had the next day

But it wasn't really my thing. I have taken other yoga classes and I am not a fan either. I like classes that are more active like body combat, zumba RIPPED etc.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I do yoga once a week on my own using an app on my ipad. Obviously, I don't go into the 'religious' aspects of it but I do enjoy the positions and focus.

Even with as little I can do, I can see changes in myself with flexibility and balance, and a better understanding of what my body can do.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I, too, hated yoga. I tried it several times and found that it was not my thing. This year, after noticing that my back was hurting more often, I tried it again, and love it! I started with a beginner class where I learned all about proper poses and posture and was pleasently surprised when I noticed an increase in strength.

For me, it is an added benefit to my regular exercise. I am stronger in my core, so my lifting is better, and my muscles are becoming leaner. Plus, my stretches are better and there is a ntoicable difference in my recovery.

I am really enjoying it now, but as many have said, it has to be the right time and the right teacher for you.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I felt this way too, until I tried a tough power yoga session. It was brutal. And much more my speed. I've got friends that swear by bikram but I've never tried. Mostly, I desperately needed to gain some flexibility but can never commit to a stretching regimen. Yoga takes that spot for me

^^this.

Try Power or Vinyasa yoga... it will kick your butt. If you like abuse, take Hot or Bikram yoga.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few yoga dvds and have been to a class or two, and...I don't get it. Wtf is the appeal, if any? I always did everything exactly like the instructors said, and I barely broke a sweat, wasn't sore or tired afterwards, and just found myself rolling my eyes and sighing the whole time just because it was so d*mn BORING!

Does anyone else feel this way? I'd like to tone and lean out and get more flexible, which they say yoga is great for, but can anyone else NOT STAND it? I've never been more bored in my life! Are there other types of yoga I could try that are, like, fun? Or at least not make me want to shoot myself in the face?

It's more of a spiritual mind body connection and a great stress reliever....breaking a sweat is not really the point (unless it's a hot yoga class). I personally love it but it is not for everyone. If it's not your thing I wouldn't waste your time. I will add though.....when I was younger If I wasn't giving it my all and sweating like a pig I couldn't see the point. Now that I'm 54...I get it :flowerforyou: I still do sweaty cardio and weight lifting sessions but yoga is a great compliment to those type of work outs for me.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have tried yoga several times over the years and just can't get into it. I applaud those that do. I think it can be an excellent workout. Part of my issue is I can't hold poses for a long time, especially ones that put a lot of pressure on my wrist. I've tried modifying them or resting a bit during the poses but I just can't seem to get past the wrist pain to enjoy the workout/stretch/benefit of yoga.

On the other hand, I love pilates. It may be because a lot of pilates classes/dvds are more like dance and I was a dancer for 20-some years of my life.

I run to clear my head. It works for me. We each have to find our own path to health, both mind and body. :flowerforyou:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you try Jillian Michael's yoga meltdown (free on youtube) it will kick your butt! Also Bob Harper's warrior yoga is torture. Both these DVD's will make you sweat!
  • rainbowharpy
    Options
    Most of it is for the purposes of engaging your body mind and spirit and living in a more mindful and present manner.

See, this is what I mean! So before yoga, my body/mind/spirit are NOT engaged? Engaged in, uh, what? Living in a present manner? As if I was living somewhere ELSE before? What does that even mean?? I'm pretty sure someone made that up, because it makes no sense at all, lol. Anyone who's seen "I Heart Huckabees" can maybe relate to how I feel about nonsense Confucio-talk like that. (No personal offense, poster)

"Confucio-talk?" Did that really just happen?

I don't think you posted for help or advice- it's pretty clear that you just wanted some yeasayers on your side to validate your opinion. You sound incredibly ignorant and fearful of what you don't understand.

I'm not going to urge you to try anything nor will I mindlessly agree with you. There are many different types of yoga with varying levels of intensity, but you'd know that if you were actually open to learning about something you just 'don't get.' Don't do it if you don't want to.

Edit: To be clear, not liking yoga is not the end of world. Talking sh** about it under the pretense of asking for advice is ridiculous and transparent.
  • debstermorton
    debstermorton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey, I notice on your "ticker" you have only 3 lbs. to go. You started @ about the weight I did....135? I started @ 139 & am down to 130. Would like to get to 126. I seem to have plateaued. What about you; did you plateau? How tall R U? I am 5'5".
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When I was doing a relatively easy yoga class, I felt stronger and more flexible than any other time in my life.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    for me, yoga isn't as much as getting a workout, but training to quiet my mind. my mind RAGES all the time, thinking, wondering, blah blah blah so the challenge for me is quieting my mind, concentrating on breathing, and flexing my muscles. it's kind of like meditation coupled with stretching.

i get when you say it's boring, cause it is, but just as much as i love sprinting around and sweating all over the place, i love yoga for the quiet serenity.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Most of it is for the purposes of engaging your body mind and spirit and living in a more mindful and present manner.

See, this is what I mean! So before yoga, my body/mind/spirit are NOT engaged? Engaged in, uh, what? Living in a present manner? As if I was living somewhere ELSE before? What does that even mean?? I'm pretty sure someone made that up, because it makes no sense at all, lol. Anyone who's seen "I Heart Huckabees" can maybe relate to how I feel about nonsense Confucio-talk like that. (No personal offense, poster)

"Confucio-talk?" Did that really just happen?

I don't think you posted for help or advice- it's pretty clear that you just wanted some yeasayers on your side to validate your opinion. You sound incredibly ignorant and fearful of what you don't understand.

I'm not going to urge you to try anything nor will I mindlessly agree with you. There are many different types of yoga with varying levels of intensity, but you'd know that if you were actually open to learning about something you just 'don't get.' Don't do it if you don't want to.

Edit: To be clear, not liking yoga is not the end of world. Talking sh** about it under the pretense of asking for advice is ridiculous and transparent.

oo insightful. :flowerforyou:
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for flexiblity and strength - important stuff - But I'm a little deaf and wind up lying there at the end of the class with one eye open, waiting for the groovy stuff to be over so I can go home....sorry:)